Homeless epidemic

Lisa

Superstar
You're bringing the gospel into a homeless discussion lol

You'll only help others if they promise to convert to Christianity. This is colonialism all over again!

Oh yes they do, a victim of child abuse who later develops a heroine addiction to numb their pain that they feel has definitely had it harder than someone who grew up in a somewhat decent neighbourhood with relatives and family around them.
Ya, I sometimes forget which thread I’m in, when I’ve got posts in the Christian section and posts in the non Christian section...

No, its not my help but God’s help that people need.

Not all drug users had a tough childhood, some did it because their friends did it or they just wanted to see what it felt like.

I disagree, everyone has it hard, there is no one that has it easy in life.

Haich

Superstar
Ya, I sometimes forget which thread I’m in, when I’ve got posts in the Christian section and posts in the non Christian section...

No, its not my help but God’s help that people need.

Not all drug users had a tough childhood, some did it because their friends did it or they just wanted to see what it felt like.

I disagree, everyone has it hard, there is no one that has it easy in life.
Lol! I cant help but laugh at some of your posts.

So you wouldn't help a homeless person but you think it's God's job to? How does that work?

Are you not a representative of God? Is God not helping these people through your efforts at easing their life?

justjess

Superstar
No one has it harder than anyone else..we all live in a tough world and we all have our experiences in this world.

What Jesus wants is for me to tell people about the gospel, and then He would help people with their problems.

What help do you think I could give a drug user besides telling them about Jesus?
Such a fucking cop out man...

Look up enabling Lisa, please.

Lisa

Superstar
Lol! I cant help but laugh at some of your posts.

So you wouldn't help a homeless person but you think it's God's job to? How does that work?

Are you not a representative of God? Is God not helping these people through your efforts at easing their life?
Since I have been told that I should leave God out of the discussions in the non Christian portion..I think I will...

I still think that giving people needles are just enabling them to continue their destructive ways and doesn’t help them with their homelessness.

Lisa

Superstar
Such a fucking cop out man...

Look up enabling Lisa, please.
Not really.

What would you call enabling...I mean approving...I mean giving drug users needles? It doesn’t help them stop but encourages them to keep on keeping on.

Haich

Superstar
Since I have been told that I should leave God out of the discussions in the non Christian portion..I think I will...

I still think that giving people needles are just enabling them to continue their destructive ways and doesn’t help them with their homelessness.
Yh which goes to show you cant answer my question ;)

What is your solution then?

Robin

Veteran
No one has it harder than anyone else..we all live in a tough world and we all have our experiences in this world.

What Jesus wants is for me to tell people about the gospel, and then He would help people with their problems.

What help do you think I could give a drug user besides telling them about Jesus?
What about feeding and clothing the poor and in doing so feeding and clothing Jesus? I don't know the scripture in detail but I recall something about him turning you away because he never "knew" you. I'm not even part of your religion but I do know the emphasis put on helping and loving others. You really do no favours for the representation of your faith.

Lisa

Superstar
Yh which goes to show you cant answer my question ;)

What is your solution then?
I already had before I had to cut it short.

My solution is what I was talking about, its a spiritual one. But beyond that, we shouldn’t enable anyone.

Lisa

Superstar
What about feeding and clothing the poor and in doing so feeding and clothing Jesus? I don't know the scripture in detail but I recall something about him turning you away because he never "knew" you. I'm not even part of your religion but I do know the emphasis put on helping and loving others. You really do no favours for the representation of your faith.
Why is that? Because I don’t think the solution is to give people needles?

To what extent should people feed and clothe others I wonder? Eventually, one must learn to do for themselves shouldn’t they? You can’t help people in perpetuity and expect them to not become reliant on the help can you?

justjess

Superstar
Not really.

What would you call enabling...I mean approving...I mean giving drug users needles? It doesn’t help them stop but encourages them to keep on keeping on.
all research into these programs has fpind it does not increase drug use, it significantly decreases the transmission of blood born disaese and it helps a lot of people get into substance abuse treatment. they get the needles anyway - shit you can buy them at walgreens, drug dealers hand them out. come on lisa.

this isnt even directly relevant to this thread apart from your delusion that all homeless people are addicts. kudos to you for so efficiently moving goal post.

Lisa

Superstar
all research into these programs has fpind it does not increase drug use, it significantly decreases the transmission of blood born disaese and it helps a lot of people get into substance abuse treatment. they get the needles anyway - shit you can buy them at walgreens, drug dealers hand them out. come on lisa.

this isnt even directly relevant to this thread apart from your delusion that all homeless people are addicts. kudos to you for so efficiently moving goal post.
If you had read the articles then you would know that people think that there is a correlation from addiction to homelessness..and lets be honest, that’s only common sense.

Haich

Superstar
I already had before I had to cut it short.

My solution is what I was talking about, its a spiritual one. But beyond that, we shouldn’t enable anyone.
Belief alone saves no one.

Any practical suggestions?

justjess

Superstar

To what extent should people feed and clothe others I wonder? Eventually, one must learn to do for themselves shouldn’t they? You can’t help people in perpetuity and expect them to not become reliant on the help can you?
some people need more help than others. it isnt up to you to decide that
If you had read the articles then you would know that people think that there is a correlation from addiction to homelessness..and lets be honest, that’s only common sense.
if you had read any of the research i posted on it earlier in the thread youd see its about half. which is far from all. but you pick and choose. it isnt obvious when housing costs far outpace wages lisa.

Last edited:

Robin

Veteran

Um where do needles come in? I said feeding and clothing them. A little bit of kindness goes a long way with reaching people. You might do a lot better in showing them God through practically helping these people instead of praying for them and tossing preaching from your high horse.

Lisa

Superstar
Um where do needles come in? I said feeding and clothing them. A little bit of kindness goes a long way with reaching people. You might do a lot better in showing them God through practically helping these people instead of praying for them and tossing preaching from your high horse.
I was talking about needles before.

What high horse? I posted articles that say the same thing I say about the issue.

Prayer is powerful.

rainerann

Star
I’m confused over where the article for this homeless epidemic is. The article in op goes to a bbc article about evolution reversing or something.

Homelessness is a multifaceted issue. I wouldn’t say that I have noticed it increasing and an article I found says that statistically it hasn’t. However, the potential for homelessness has increased. https://www.alternet.org/2016/04/10-reasons-why-homelessness-more-common-now-just-20-years-ago/

I would agree with most of the potential reasons that homelessness is an increased possibility. I just don’t usually agree with a lot of the proposed solutions to the problem. There is a big difference between creating a just economy and centralizing funds to be handed out.

And pictures of homelessness in larger cities isn’t always a good representation of the situation. In some cases people who are homeless migrate to places like Washington DC or la from other places, because there are more opportunities to pan handle in larger cities. So the suggestion that homelessness is created by rising housing costs in these cities doesn’t really highlight the reason for large populations of homeless people in larger cities.

In most cases, rising housing costs will cause people to move to cities nearby that have a lower cost of living and they will commute to larger cities where they work in lower paying jobs that don’t allow them to live closer to their place of employment.

Homelessness in la for example is created by homeless migration to that area because the weather is good and there have been rumors for some time that you can make good money pan handling in areas like this.

I watched this documentary a while back called skid row with pras from the fugees that was really interesting. Skid row in la has had the largest homeless population in the country for some time and in the documentary he goes to a couple of the more established shelters for food.

If I remember correctly, they were both implemented as part of a ministry. I thought it was beautiful at the time, but it is a very repetitive process and unique reasons for homelessness require unique solutions.

From my own experience, I would say the leading cause of homelessness is mental illness. I do support programs for mental illness, but at a state or local level. There are large numbers of the homeless population that will never be able to take care of themselves. They will always need someone to take care of them and this should be accepted and dealt with.

Although, I have met several people before who told me they were homeless because they wanted to be. There have been a couple hippie-like revivals in my lifetime where I have met people who were homeless because they were trying to live out some Woodstock-like experience.

Whatever. If that’s what they want to do fine, but things like this aren’t a true reflection of homelessness either and I would say our homelessness problem is basically the same demographic group it always has been, but our working class is still in a process of decline ever since outsourcing started probably. That is where I think we started really going downhill.

As a result, I think it would make a big differences if some of these other countries that major companies have outsourced started requiring a higher standard for their workers. That would help create a just economy that would improve conditions in the us because the cost to operate a company at a higher standard would be the same no matter where you went.

We could also not allow us based companies to outsource too. It is basically like a modern form of slavery, but I think this is the first thing we should do in response to the potential for increased homelessness. Although, I don’t ever hear it mentioned because obviously the corporations don’t want it, and it wouldn’t cost any money, so I don’t know if it has the same Good Samaritan vibe that most political discussions seem to be striving for either.

In most cases, creating a just economy costs zero dollars and doesn’t create dependency. I really think a lot of political discussions are distracting because this is the reality. They seem to want people to be pegged in one extreme or the other so that people spend a whole lot of time justifying the morality behind their position of being for or against giving to programs that help the poor as a collective group. When really they are not necessary to begin with from the perspective of the government. Maybe this is why so many programs have been created by either the community or the church in the past. Government doesn’t really need to involve itself in these matters. They are not really political.

Outsourcing and fair business practices would be because government should be able to mediate in situations of dispute or injustice. The government should not be necessary to solve the problem of homelessness wherever homelessness is not caused by injustice or disputes.

rainerann

Star
I would say that the only time drugs create homelessness is if you have something secondary like mental illness or kids. Most single drugs users who had an average disposition before using drugs can find a grandma or aunt or someone who believes they are capable of being the person they were before to live with.

It is when letting you stay with them requires more patience because you have kids or mental illness that the likelihood of homelessness increases.
So it is also always more likely that you are at risk of homelessness if you have kids even if you don’t use drugs because kids require a level of patience people aren’t comfortable with. People are much more comfortable giving money than time and patience most of the time.

Mental illness is the same thing. Basically, if you can’t take care of yourself if they give you some money for gas or food, then you are at risk of homelessness, but not drug use by itself usually.

Robin

Veteran
I was talking about needles before.

What high horse? I posted articles that say the same thing I say about the issue.

Prayer is powerful.
The one that prevents you from feeling any empathy apparently. Yes, from the FOX propaganda machine. I wouldn't trust them anymore than I would CNN but fine. I'm not talking about city policies I'm talking about how you as a supposed Christian would go around helping people that need it the most. And stop conflating homelessness and drug addiction. Not every homeless person is a drug addict and vice versa.

Ok but how do you expect it to be answered if your God's representatives do nothing practical to help the people who need it most?

Lisa

Superstar
The one that prevents you from feeling any empathy apparently. Yes, from the FOX propaganda machine. I wouldn't trust them anymore than I would CNN but fine. I'm not talking about city policies I'm talking about how you as a supposed Christian would go around helping people that need it the most. And stop conflating homelessness and drug addiction. Not every homeless person is a drug addict and vice versa.

Ok but how do you expect it to be answered if your God's representatives do nothing practical to help the people who need it most?
I empathize with people...I just don’t empathize enough to enable someone to keep destroying their lives with addiction. I also know that I can’t stop anyone from doing anything that they choose, I can try to counsel them not to, but I can’t force anyone to stop and my counsel can’t force anyone to stop either.

I keep going back to drug addiction because I think its a big reason for homelessness and I also think alcohol plays a big part too in people being homeless. I think money mismanagement and trying to live above ones means are another reason people can find themselves as homeless. Those would be ways that people would be responsible for their own homelessness. Other things can compound those things such as losing a job (sometimes people lose their jobs due to something they did and sometimes not) or the economy with people being priced out of rent and mortgages.

Though I have to say, that I think its easier for family to take you in if you’ve lost a job or can’t afford a place to live then if you are addicted anyway. Addicts are hard to live with due to their lying and stealing and that’s why they can find themselves homeless.