Homeless epidemic

Lisa

Superstar
And another homelessness story..this time in San Francisco...

San Francisco is a city of extremes.

It has more billionaires per capita than anywhere else in the world, but it also has a homeless problem so severe that it rivals some third-world nations. On any given day you can see souped-up Lamborghinis and blinged-out trophy wives in one part of the city, then walk over a few blocks and see piles of human feces, puddles of urine and vomit caked on the sidewalks. The misery of homelessness, mental illness and drug addiction hits deep in San Francisco and has turned parts of a beautiful city into a public toilet.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-francisco-homeless-stats-city-blames-big-business-residents-officials

justjess

Superstar
And what is your solution to this issue Lisa? Shoot them all, put them out of their misery?

justjess

Superstar
I know it wouldn’t be to give them free syringes to inject themselves with...
Thanks for not answering my question, yet again.

Needle exchanges - just an fyi - aren’t for the benefit of the addict, they are for public health to stem the transmission of disease.

Lisa

Superstar
Thanks for not answering my question, yet again.

Needle exchanges - just an fyi - aren’t for the benefit of the addict, they are for public health to stem the transmission of disease.
But they do benefit the addict.

justjess

Superstar
But they do benefit the addict.
And your point? It’s done because it saves money and collateral damage. Whether that also helps the addict should be besides the point. Unless your only goal in life is punishing people who don’t live up to your standards at all costs.

Haich

Superstar
We have a homelessness issue here too, especially in the centre. Local councils are allowing some homeless people to stay in vacant properties but they are often derelict and uninhabitable.

I think a lot of these people (here anyway) suffer from trauma, PTSD and other debilitating issues which causes some of them to self medicate with drugs. I think there should be more funding for mental health services so some of these people can access it but also, more hostels built around the city.

The root issue for us here seems to be a lack of employment, combined with other factors such as cuts to social housing and cuts to basic benefits. If homeless people were given food tokens and access to basic living quarters, it would be a start to allow some of them to get off their feet. The ones who have drug issues would benefit from social workers or some sort of accountability and support from health or counselling workers. These industries are severely underfunded in the UK so again, only so much can be done...

At the moment, with the uncertainty of Brexit, there are even more homeless people around the city being thrown out of squats and vacant properties. I'm unsure as to their future tbh as the government have no plans to invest in anything social or public wise. I guess for now their reliance is on the kindness of commuters and local charities...

Lisa

Superstar
And your point? It’s done because it saves money and collateral damage. Whether that also helps the addict should be besides the point. Unless your only goal in life is punishing people who don’t live up to your standards at all costs.
Should it be besides the point? They are enabling drug abuse with those policies. I don’t think enabling people in destroying themselves is a good way to deal with the problems they bring.

Lisa

Superstar
We have a homelessness issue here too, especially in the centre. Local councils are allowing some homeless people to stay in vacant properties but they are often derelict and uninhabitable.

I think a lot of these people (here anyway) suffer from trauma, PTSD and other debilitating issues which causes some of them to self medicate with drugs. I think there should be more funding for mental health services so some of these people can access it but also, more hostels built around the city.

The root issue for us here seems to be a lack of employment, combined with other factors such as cuts to social housing and cuts to basic benefits. If homeless people were given food tokens and access to basic living quarters, it would be a start to allow some of them to get off their feet. The ones who have drug issues would benefit from social workers or some sort of accountability and support from health or counselling workers. These industries are severely underfunded in the UK so again, only so much can be done...

At the moment, with the uncertainty of Brexit, there are even more homeless people around the city being thrown out of squats and vacant properties. I'm unsure as to their future tbh as the government have no plans to invest in anything social or public wise. I guess for now their reliance is on the kindness of commuters and local charities...
So then do you think that for whatever reasons, most homeless are drug users?

I think the problem is is that you can’t make drug users stop taking drugs. You might be able to get them to start a program, quit for a while, but you can’t make them quit forever. So what they do you do with them to stop them from doing the drugs that lead to them being homeless and the filth that comes with homelessness that then starts to affect the areas in which people live? That really is the big issue I think.

Haich

Superstar
So then do you think that for whatever reasons, most homeless are drug users?

I think the problem is is that you can’t make drug users stop taking drugs. You might be able to get them to start a program, quit for a while, but you can’t make them quit forever. So what they do you do with them to stop them from doing the drugs that lead to them being homeless and the filth that comes with homelessness that then starts to affect the areas in which people live? That really is the big issue I think.
Most? Not here no. Many are either immigrants who don't have a legal pardon to stay so they evade the law. Others have left the army or returned from...I mean there are all sorts of circumstances...

True, addiction is hard to kick as are drugs. I think everyone deserves somewhere to rest their head and a decent warm meal regardless of their personal issues.

I think rehabilitation is one thing but continued support is another which is what some of these people need.

Lisa

Superstar
Most? Not here no. Many are either immigrants who don't have a legal pardon to stay so they evade the law. Others have left the army or returned from...I mean there are all sorts of circumstances...

True, addiction is hard to kick as are drugs. I think everyone deserves somewhere to rest their head and a decent warm meal regardless of their personal issues.

I think rehabilitation is one thing but continued support is another which is what some of these people need.
How do you support people who will lie and steal for their next fix I wonder?

If you just give people things they will be takers, unfortunately.

justjess

Superstar
Should it be besides the point? They are enabling drug abuse with those policies. I don’t think enabling people in destroying themselves is a good way to deal with the problems they bring.
It isn’t enabling them. Most places that have needle exchanges pair that with social workers and services to help them get off if they choose. Needles are easily and cheaply available everywhere, drug dealers will even include them with purchase often times. The needle exchange isn’t making it easier to get them it’s just ensuring they are clean to stem the spread of disease.

I can’t with you honestly... I don’t know what happened to you in your life to make you so cold hearted and I really don’t care. Which is odd for me, I usually would care a whole deal but the extent of your lack of empathy is so profound I can’t get past it

Haich

Superstar

I'm not well versed on the ins and outs of drug rehabilitation but I know that the dosage is slowly lowered and they are topped up with methadone depending on which drug they take (I believe methadone is given to crack or heroin users).

Giving up drugs isn't easy. These people can experience psychosis and have manic episodes...it has to be done with caution on a case by case basis. Some of them also have underlying mental illnesses such as schizophrenia...

They wouldn't need to steal if the government were giving them basic necessities such as food, shelter and toiletries. Also, if they were taken in by a funded charity or health centre and given safe equipment and a safe environment to take their drugs and in return, they were obligated to attend counselling, therapy and drug awareness programmes, they wouldn't be on 'our streets'. The long term goal being, getting to the root or start of their drug abuse, weaning and managing their addiction, getting them back into work etc...

You have to help people before they can help themselves.

justjess

Superstar

So shoot them dead right Lisa? I noticed you didn’t even try to say this wasn’t the case earlier..

Haich

Superstar
For a woman who claims to serve God, you clearly have very little time for those around you who could do with your help.

Is that what Jesus would've wanted? For you to just wash your hands with people who have had it harder than you?

Do you see why I asked you what makes you Christian?

Lisa

Superstar
It isn’t enabling them. Most places that have needle exchanges pair that with social workers and services to help them get off if they choose. Needles are easily and cheaply available everywhere, drug dealers will even include them with purchase often times. The needle exchange isn’t making it easier to get them it’s just ensuring they are clean to stem the spread of disease.

I can’t with you honestly... I don’t know what happened to you in your life to make you so cold hearted and I really don’t care. Which is odd for me, I usually would care a whole deal but the extent of your lack of empathy is so profound I can’t get past it
But it is enabling them..they get free needles to shoot up with, that’s not good.

Lisa

Superstar
I'm not well versed on the ins and outs of drug rehabilitation but I know that the dosage is slowly lowered and they are topped up with methadone depending on which drug they take (I believe methadone is given to crack or heroin users).

Giving up drugs isn't easy. These people can experience psychosis and have manic episodes...it has to be done with caution on a case by case basis. Some of them also have underlying mental illnesses such as schizophrenia...

They wouldn't need to steal if the government were giving them basic necessities such as food, shelter and toiletries. Also, if they were taken in by a funded charity or health centre and given safe equipment and a safe environment to take their drugs and in return, they were obligated to attend counselling, therapy and drug awareness programmes, they wouldn't be on 'our streets'. The long term goal being, getting to the root or start of their drug abuse, weaning and managing their addiction, getting them back into work etc...

You have to help people before they can help themselves.
I agree that giving up drugs is not easy.

I think they steal for their next fix. Why does the taxpayer, who is the government btw, have to give anyone not working anything? That seems weird to me.

I would think that the families of drug users could tell a different story..that they tried desperately to help their loved one and to no avail...which is why the drug user finds themselves homeless.

Lisa

Superstar
For a woman who claims to serve God, you clearly have very little time for those around you who could do with your help.

Is that what Jesus would've wanted? For you to just wash your hands with people who have had it harder than you?

Do you see why I asked you what makes you Christian?
No one has it harder than anyone else..we all live in a tough world and we all have our experiences in this world.

What Jesus wants is for me to tell people about the gospel, and then He would help people with their problems.

What help do you think I could give a drug user besides telling them about Jesus?

Haich

Superstar
No one has it harder than anyone else..we all live in a tough world and we all have our experiences in this world.

What Jesus wants is for me to tell people about the gospel, and then He would help people with their problems.

What help do you think I could give a drug user besides telling them about Jesus?
You're bringing the gospel into a homeless discussion lol

You'll only help others if they promise to convert to Christianity. This is colonialism all over again!

Oh yes they do, a victim of child abuse who later develops a heroine addiction to numb their pain that they feel has definitely had it harder than someone who grew up in a somewhat decent neighbourhood with relatives and family around them.

Reactions: NPC