Homeless epidemic

Lisa

Superstar
I want homeless people to have housing and dignity. In the absence of that I want judgemental selfish assholes who spite and hate them to stop calling themselves Christians, at the very least. I’d be mad if they were kicking them out of the encampment without any alternative and better form of housing being made available.
Why do we owe them better housing? Don’t they owe it to themselves to stop what they are doing and better themselves?

justjess

Superstar
Why do we owe them better housing? Don’t they owe it to themselves to stop what they are doing and better themselves?
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t huh Lisa? If you don’t want the homeless in the encampments and don’t want to provide them other shelter where EXACTLY should they go?

Seems like your the one mad about this.

Lisa

Superstar
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t huh Lisa? If you don’t want the homeless in the encampments and don’t want to provide them other shelter where EXACTLY should they go?

Seems like your the one mad about this.
Not mad at all...just thought you could tell me why we owe the homeless anything?

If I’d like a house..I have to work for it...yet if they want a house all they have to do is live on the sidewalk? When you start to give people things for not working..you’re going to have more people not working so they can get something for free..which will put a greater burden on tax payers because in the end its the people with jobs who are paying for non workers to have housing, isn’t it? It doesn’t seem fair and it doesn’t really seem right.
Its like letting them live on the sidewalks...nothing good comes from it, there is a disruption to businesses, filth and trash with needles and bottles...and criminal activity follows them. How does giving them a home stop those behaviors? Or is it people feel good that they are no longer on the streets...except for the ones who want to be..but does their behavior change because we put them in a home? How then do they get back on their feet...if that‘s what they want to do in the first place? I guess they could then take those showers you were talking about...but will they really? If they got it for free..what’s their incentive to stop?

Lurker

Star
Ok
Not mad at all...just thought you could tell me why we owe the homeless anything?

If I’d like a house..I have to work for it...yet if they want a house all they have to do is live on the sidewalk? When you start to give people things for not working..you’re going to have more people not working so they can get something for free..which will put a greater burden on tax payers because in the end its the people with jobs who are paying for non workers to have housing, isn’t it? It doesn’t seem fair and it doesn’t really seem right.
Its like letting them live on the sidewalks...nothing good comes from it, there is a disruption to businesses, filth and trash with needles and bottles...and criminal activity follows them. How does giving them a home stop those behaviors? Or is it people feel good that they are no longer on the streets...except for the ones who want to be..but does their behavior change because we put them in a home? How then do they get back on their feet...if that‘s what they want to do in the first place? I guess they could then take those showers you were talking about...but will they really? If they got it for free..what’s their incentive to stop?
Yet, I don't hear you complaining about tax burden when the tax payers have to pay out on behalf of the police department.

Helioform

Star
I have been homeless for a few months. I never had problems with drugs or alcohol. I was able to find a place later on and now I have 2 businesses. If it were not for the social programs that help the homeless, they would probably just die in the streets. Would you like that Lisa?

Lisa

Superstar
I have been homeless for a few months. I never had problems with drugs or alcohol. I was able to find a place later on and now I have 2 businesses. If it were not for the social programs that help the homeless, they would probably just die in the streets. Would you like that Lisa?
Good for you! I don’t mind the help when the help is given and is used to help oneself to become a productive member of society again..I actually think that is a good thing and what the help should do.

However, with the problem of drug use and alcohol abuse...that’s a different issue and needs a different approach and help. Is it actual help to provide those homeless with a roof over their heads but not address the rest? And how do you help someone who may not want the help anyway, but just want’s to waste away not the streets with the handouts? I think that‘s the issue that needs to be solved.

Plus now, you might have a whole bunch of people becoming homeless for free housing...how do you stop that? Or do we stop that so we don’t look uncaring?

Helioform

Star
Good for you! I don’t mind the help when the help is given and is used to help oneself to become a productive member of society again..I actually think that is a good thing and what the help should do.

However, with the problem of drug use and alcohol abuse...that’s a different issue and needs a different approach and help. Is it actual help to provide those homeless with a roof over their heads but not address the rest? And how do you help someone who may not want the help anyway, but just want’s to waste away not the streets with the handouts? I think that‘s the issue that needs to be solved.

Plus now, you might have a whole bunch of people becoming homeless for free housing...how do you stop that? Or do we stop that so we don’t look uncaring?
I think nearly half of homeless people actually work, they are just too poor to afford a place to live. But of course curing addictions should also be a priority but it's not as easy as it seems. And nobody would become homeless just for free housing. I don't think that would be an advantage. There needs to be more social programs that promote affordable housing, instead of building condos for the rich everywhere.

Lisa

Superstar
I think nearly half of homeless people actually work, they are just too poor to afford a place to live. But of course curing addictions should also be a priority but it's not as easy as it seems. And nobody would become homeless just for free housing. I don't think that would be an advantage. There needs to be more social programs that promote affordable housing, instead of building condos for the rich everywhere.
Its the rich that could afford to build..or people with jobs...

justjess

Superstar
Lisa business owners, businesses and rich people get more in tax handouts and corporate welfare then the cost of every social program combined and then multiplied. Just stop

justjess

Superstar
And you still didn’t answer where they should go? If they can’t be on the streets because it insults your delicate sensibilities but you don’t want them given housing where the hell should they go? Just up and die?

Lisa

Superstar
And you still didn’t answer where they should go? If they can’t be on the streets because it insults your delicate sensibilities but you don’t want them given housing where the hell should they go? Just up and die?
Maybe give them the choice to get help for their addictions in return for help in housing? I don’t see anything wrong with that compromise. They would be working to better themselves and become a productive member of society. That’s a win/win.

For those that don’t, they need to find a new place to live that isn’t on the sidewalk.

justjess

Superstar
Not all homeless people are addicts. And addiction isn’t a one time cure. What happens if those people agree to treatment - which I’m fine with - and then relapse? Are they out on their ass alone again, oh well?

Lisa

Superstar
Not all homeless people are addicts. And addiction isn’t a one time cure. What happens if those people agree to treatment - which I’m fine with - and then relapse? Are they out on their ass alone again, oh well?
Do they have any personal responsibility in their own well being?

justjess

Superstar
No you didn’t. You gave an answer for the subset of people who are addicts which isn’t anywhere near all homeless people. Where are the people who aren’t addicts supposed to go? Where do you think they should go? Where do the people for whom treatment doesn’t work go? You don’t want them in the street, it’s bad for “business” you also don’t want to provide them help because “personal responsibility” so... what then?

Lisa

Superstar
No you didn’t. You gave an answer for the subset of people who are addicts which isn’t anywhere near all homeless people. Where are the people who aren’t addicts supposed to go? Where do you think they should go? Where do the people for whom treatment doesn’t work go? You don’t want them in the street, it’s bad for “business” you also don’t want to provide them help because “personal responsibility” so... what then?
It is a lot of them..

I did say to helioform that I thought it was good to help people trying to get on their feet again and I support that...but one does also have to try and I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

I don’t think its just bad for business..but its bad for health reasons as cited in many of the articles I link to.

What do you mean what then? Where does personal responsibility come in do ya think? Or does it even enter in to this equation for you?

Lisa

Superstar
If you want to be concerned about tax payer money, be consistent.
I’m not sure how that comes into homelessness though. I’m not just concerned about tax payer money...I am concerned that with homelessness we are perpetuating a problem instead of helping. I don’t mind tax payer money being used to help someone get back on their feet, but I do object to using it to keep someone down. I don’t think that’s a good use of money or helpful and I would say that it hurts the person instead of helps them.