High watch times

Thunderian

Superstar
I knew that all the Feast Days (except Hanukkah or festival of Lights) are Types of the work and times of the Lord. But this was more in depth than I had studied.
I believe Hanukkah is as well, but I don't have the details at my fingers.

In John 10, Jesus proclaimed his deity at the Temple during Hanukkah, the Feast of Dedication. I wish I could remember all the significances of it.

In John 10, Jesus proclaimed his deity at the Temple during Hanukkah, the Feast of Dedication. I wish I could remember all the significances of it.
In the time of the Maccabee's, (The 400 years between the second building of the temple to the Birth of Jesus) The Temple was under siege. The lamps were fueled by oil. They run out of oil, but one of the lamps burned for 8 days after it was out of oil. They celebrated it a miracle. That is why it is called the Festival of Lights. And yes, Jesus celebrated it as a Jewish feast day. But I'm not sure what it signifies as it was not a part of the original feast days given in the Torah. I will do a little more study on it and let you know. (It is a celebration of the dedication of the second temple) in one report I studied. But when I was studying the Maccabee's History, The first explanation was what I was taught. There are several theories about why Hanukkah is celebrated over eight nights. One legend says that when Judah and his followers went into the Temple there was only enough oil to burn for one night, but that it burned for eight nights. Another story says that they found eight iron spears and put candles of them and used them for lighting in the Temple.

Last edited:

Hanukkah - The Jewish Festival of Lights -- Christmas ...

www.whychristmas.com/customs/hanukkah.shtml

Hanukkah - The Jewish Festival of Lights Hanukkah is the Jewish Festival of Lights and it remembers the rededication of the second Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, in Israel . This happened in the 160s BCE/BC (before Jesus was born).

Thunderian

Superstar
Hanukkah - The Jewish Festival of Lights -- Christmas ...

www.whychristmas.com/customs/hanukkah.shtml

Hanukkah - The Jewish Festival of Lights Hanukkah is the Jewish Festival of Lights and it remembers the rededication of the second Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, in Israel . This happened in the 160s BCE/BC (before Jesus was born).
Sorry, I didn't mean that Jesus was at the actual Temple re-dedication that Hanukkah commemorates, but that he was at the Temple and declared that he was God during Hanukkah. :)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I have been watching for the Lord’s return for quite a few years now and I’ve heard all kinds of ideas. Often there is some Biblical logic why a particular date seems like a “high watch date” but I don’t get too caught up it thinking a particular date is going to be THE day (remembering 1988 ;-)

With that in mind, I was not going to mention a small scale, grass roots date that has been the focus of internet speculation over the last month or so, but then I heard someone talking sense on the subject and felt this clip might be worth sharing (in the spirit of Gamaliel!)

Acts 5

Gamaliel's Counsel

33When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them. 34Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space; 35And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men. 36For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought. 37After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed. 38And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: 39But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
I have been watching for the Lord’s return for quite a few years now and I’ve heard all kinds of ideas. Often there is some Biblical logic why a particular date seems like a “high watch date” but I don’t get too caught up it thinking a particular date is going to be THE day (remembering 1988 ;-)

With that in mind, I was not going to mention a small scale, grass roots date that has been the focus of internet speculation over the last month or so, but then I heard someone talking sense on the subject and felt this clip might be worth sharing (in the spirit of Gamaliel!)

Do you you know Red, what is he talking about when he says we need to occupy? And what he means when he says we need to look to the cross? Is that Christianese?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Do you you know Red, what is he talking about when he says we need to occupy? And what he means when he says we need to look to the cross? Is that Christianese?
I can only say what they mean to me - to “occupy” suggests living, planning or the future and pushing back against the darkness we come across in this world. Looking to the cross to me is keeping my eyes on the eternal, basic truth of my faith as outlined in John 3:16. However much knowledge we acquire along the way, unless we repent and become like little children we shall never enter the Kingdom. The longer I have lived, the more these words have become clearer to me.

Lisa

Superstar
I can only say what they mean to me - to “occupy” suggests living, planning or the future and pushing back against the darkness we come across in this world. Looking to the cross to me is keeping my eyes on the eternal, basic truth of my faith as outlined in John 3:16. However much knowledge we acquire along the way, unless we repent and become like little children we shall never enter the Kingdom. The longer I have lived, the more these words have become clearer to me.
I just feel like occupy is totally the wrong word for a Christian to use, if that’s his meaning?

I feel that the cross has been overly used. And what I mean by that is yes that was the method of his death but his death was more than the cross...so I don’t understand the obsession of wearing a cross or thinking about the cross. He died and rose again, I think is more important than looking to the cross as a focus of faith.

Todd

Star
Jesus said to the Jews that believed on him, "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed";

There are billions of people who "believe" in Jesus...There are quite a bit fewer who actually continue in his word, i.e. actually live what he taught.

DUSTY

Established
Trying to speculate on Jesus 2nd Coming is always fun and interesting. Not to be a wet blanket but, IMHO, best thing to keep in mind through all this is that 152,000 people have their own '2nd Coming' type encounter with God every day when their bodies die. We should live each day like it's our last, and like Jesus is coming TODAY. Because for some of us .. He just might be.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I wouldn’t...lying signs and wonders come to mind.
I quite agree with the fact that lying signs and wonders will come. I would imagine such lies would be concocted to work against the truths of God word, not to encourage believers to share the gospel while there is still time.

Lisa

Superstar
I quite agree with the fact that lying signs and wonders will come. I would imagine such lies would be concocted to work against the truths of God word, not to encourage believers to share the gospel while there is still time.
I would imagine the lying signs and wonders will confuse people, like these people to believe in lying signs and wonders. Jesus is not coming as soon as they think, people still have time. I have to smh every time I see people do this like He really is coming today, he’s not plain and simple. It’s too soon! The world is not the worst time we have ever seen yet but it is getting there.

If I were you I’d quit watching people like this..they are only going to get your hopes up, get you excited and they aren’t gonna be right.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I would imagine the lying signs and wonders will confuse people, like these people to believe in lying signs and wonders. Jesus is not coming as soon as they think, people still have time. I have to smh every time I see people do this like He really is coming today, he’s not plain and simple. It’s too soon! The world is not the worst time we have ever seen yet but it is getting there.

If I were you I’d quit watching people like this..they are only going to get your hopes up, get you excited and they aren’t gonna be right.
I have always liked these words from Polonius in Hamlet:-

03FE823E-D458-44C6-A28A-473AEC2F321A.png

I listen to quite a variety of views, including quite a lot from people I disagree with!

As regards Titus 2:13, I do believe in the imminence of the Rapture, not just the second coming at the end of the Tribulation as I genuinely see the two as separate events. If I were writing a fiction which pictured a world situation into which the events of the end times fitted, I don’t think it would require huge imaginative powers right now. I don’t know “when” any of these things might take place, but something tells me it might not be as long as I used to think.

Btw - I chose my forum name ironically as I used to get really cross at Christians who thought we were in the “Last Days”.

Lisa

Superstar
I have always liked these words from Polonius in Hamlet:-

View attachment 23984

I listen to quite a variety of views, including quite a lot from people I disagree with!

As regards Titus 2:13, I do believe in the imminence of the Rapture, not just the second coming at the end of the Tribulation as I genuinely see the two as separate events. If I were writing a fiction which pictured a world situation into which the events of the end times fitted, I don’t think it would require huge imaginative powers right now. I don’t know “when” any of these things might take place, but something tells me it might not be as long as I used to think.

Btw - I chose my forum name ironically as I used to get really cross at Christians who thought we were in the “Last Days”.
I didn’t say we weren’t in the last days just that it’s too early for Jesus to return.

From what I know, Jesus only returns once and it’s not going to be at the beginning of the tribulation if that’s the case..wouldn’t you agree?

It doesn’t seem to me that we are close to the great tribulation...but we are getting closer to it.

Matthew‬ ‭24:21-22, 29-31
For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will. Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.

But immediately after the tribulation of those days THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory. And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

‭‭​
Jesus only appears once after the tribulation of those days and then He will gather His elect not before, not now.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
@Lisa

Let me tell you where I’m at on the big picture and how that relates this issue...

I make a conscious distinction between primary things that are essential for salvation and secondary doctrines that don’t have a bearing on it. I will stand till you chop my legs off for salvation by grace trough faith in the completed work of Jesus. There is no other “gospel” that will save anyone. On the other hand, a if I was talking with saved person who is struggling over their interpretation of Genesis, I might share what I had found out but it would not be a battle I would fight at all costs.

In the spirit of the second case, the timing of the Lord’s return, and whether or not a “catching away” happens before the Tribulation is not something I would argue over. The reason why I won’t is because it is based on certain presuppositions:-

- The distinctness of “the Church” and Israel.

- The timing of “The Kingdom” - is it now, established by the body conquering the “seven mountains of influence” or is it to be established by Jesus during the Millennium.

- Your understanding of the relationship between “The Gospel of the Kingdom” and the “Gospel of Grace”

- Whether you take an Amillennial, Premillennial or even a Postmillenial view (I have a “Post” friend who has some unique views!)

- Where you stand on the subject of “dispensations”

Out of the understanding of all of the above, our expectations of future events are shaped. Unfortunately I don’t know your background enough to know where you stand on these issues.

I don’t mind talking them over with you without trying to close the case for or against a pre-trib Rapture, but as this question is in a sense the metaphorical cherry on the eschatological cake, it might be worth looking at the cake mix first ;-)