Hereditary Movie

jowdah

yes we need an article for this... i was also thinking that they also do this rituals in choosing a new pope.. because.. why would they change the name of the pope to a different one..? maybe this is how "they" invoke spirits

Badgercat

I thought it was so good, genuinely disturbing! I watch a lot of new horror and sometimes I can sense a promotion agenda with some of the occult themes. I didn't get the feeling these were being advocated for in hereditary? They are clearly presented as evil. I'd have to stop being a wimp and watch it again. Didn't know about Goethia, will do some reading :)

Badgercat

I'm not sure how much the director knew about the working occult elite (as opposed to general research needed to make the film) since this was his debut feature. Although being in the industry and studying at AFI he must have at least heard rumours? Do they recruit people secret service style??!
In the second link he says that it was his short films and choice of horror genre that helped get the picture financed.
Hereditary does seem to illustrate what life might be like for people in the bloodline families. Perhaps some of 'their' people heard about the script and made sure it got made, or maybe 'they' saw the short films and pushed the direction of the screenplay to be more comprehensive.
I always got the impression from reading VC articles that people on the families knew everything because they were torturing kids and grooming them from birth. Maybe it is more like in the film Society (1989) and some don't go through it until later. Maybe it is like Hereditary and they never know what is going on. I'm not sure what would be worse :(