Hell

Etagloc

Superstar
Hell could just be where they put all the evil people in a room together. I know the scriptures mention fire but if it's generally agreed-upon that the scriptures contain metaphors then isn't it possible that hellfire is a metaphor?

True World Order

Established
Things will be different in the next life, that much is certain. Interesting subject.

From what I have read and some theories I have heard. Hell is a state where you are cut off from God. We get a glimpse of heaven and hell in this life when either everything is going your way and everyone loves you or when you feel intense hatred and/or sorrow and everything is against you. The actual hellfire is worse because it is a spiritual experience, rather than any earthly sensation.

When we are Judged we will be confronted by every good and evil we have done, no matter how small and we will wish our evil was far from us. The fire could manifest from a burning guilt or hatred inside, some people will be violently thrown into it, a few may even willingly walk into it. In that last group, some could be saved because they chose hell for the right reasons and they have the tiniest bit of good inside, some may even do it because they want to be completely destroyed. Everyone will know where they are going and we will be able to tell where everyone else is going by the looks on their faces.

The Day of Judgment and hell are truly terrifying things to think about, but I like to believe that there is some kind of plan. Fire is typically used to destroy, but it can be used to purify...

Karlysymon

Superstar
How people understand the Hell question ,especially through popular beliefs, has a huge bearing on understanding God's character. Its seems that for many of us, His character is vindicated by how He treats the wicked, not the righteous/good. Why? And time and again, preachers have seized on Hell to keep Christians 'in line'. I have read several stories of people who have walked away from Christianity because of Hell. But is hell truly the way it has been sold to us? An eternally burning pit?

*How can people spend millenia or centuries in a pit of fire? The nature of Fire is; it consumes.
Anything thrown in is consumed right away. So, its obvious there are no souls crying out in burning hell hole year after year.

*The bible says that when
people die, they are asleep. Neither is ascended to heaven nor hell. If that wasn't the case, there would be no resurrection because Christ is returning
precisely to raise the dead.

*what would be the point of keeping people in hell for ages?
One may say, it serves a
retributive purpose. But what is the end goal? Its a place for those who have rejected God, but why keep them around if they are NEVER going to come
around, to voluntarily love Him? Isn't it better to just blot them out?

*God hates seeing people suffer. So why keep tuned onto a 'horror channel' for aeons, like a snuff film? Its certainly not compatible with God's character.

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
Well I just think that the physical world is impure in its very nature. Think of most peoples description of hell, the chances are there is an event that happened just like it, in reality. People burning alive, mass torture and whatever horror people can dream up. And rarely is there ever such a "heavenly" event going on. Sure we say a lot of things are like heaven, but a lot of situations are literally like hell.

All over the world we see people with power, not using it to benefit humanity. We see the opposite in fact. They are keeping whatever power they have for themselves. So what I'm basically saying is, we can't get any lower. The only place possible to go is up, or to a more pure place of existence.

Hell is part of the ghayb - the unknown. As believers in God, all we can know about it with certainty is what God has told us through His Prophets and Messengers. The 'life' in Hell is something beyond our comprehension and not like the life of this world, just as the life in Paradise (Heaven) is beyond our comprehension and nothing like the life of this world. A Muslim scholar said:

Allah Most Glorified has placed all manner of good in Paradise due to it and all manners of evil in the Fire, so the former is an abode which was chosen for good and the latter is an abode which was chosen for evil. And there is an abode in which good and evil are mixed and that is this abode (i.e. the life of this world). So when the Appointed Day comes, Allah will distinguish between the evil and the good and then the matter will rest upon two abodes only.... then the scholar goes on to mention the good and evil qualities of humans and ends with ... So glorified be He Whose Wisdom overwhelms the minds.

And his saying above is based on what is mentioned in the Quran and Hadith which give a very clear description of the Hell and who will (and will not) be its denizens. May God save us all.

Hell, I believe, is eternal separation from God. I don't believe it's really a place of physical suffering, but eternal sorrow; separation from the source of all love in the universe... And worst, the knowledge that we chose it.

manama

Star
Depends on which religion's description of hell.

According to Islam, What we do know about hellfire shows that its not just a pond of fire, or like a stove or something, but it is a living beast, which is being held by thousands and thousands of chains, held by thousands and thousands of angel. Hellfire is also not the most loving thing out there since we believe that the guardian angel of hell has never smiled since the day hellfire was created.

Lisa

Superstar
This sounds pretty straight forward to me...
And He said, "Write, for these words are faithful and true." Then He said to me, "It is done. I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost. He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.
But the cowardly and unbelieving and the abominable and the murderers and the immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

There are 2 choices here...life with God or lake of fire, there is nothing else and no in between. We all have to make the choice we aren't given any other options.