Hell & The Odds of an Afterlife

cjkkw

Established
people only like god because of the things god may have promised. when that moment comes and u may not recieve ur blessings. will u stop believing?

TokiEl

Superstar
people only like god because of the things god may have promised. when that moment comes and u may not recieve ur blessings. will u stop believing?
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away... don't 4get you're just a footnote in His story.

Unless you are his friend.

LieDestroyer

Rookie
In all seriousness, who out there lives on no belief? Belief in nothing? NIHILISM? Why live? You have to be kidding me!?
Nobody lives the way you're describing.

Life has no meaning, we are just organisms that reproduce.
To be stuck on having a crisis of life supposedly having to have a meaning would make you more of an Existentialist, because you are still attached to wanting life to have a greater meaning than it does.

LieDestroyer

Rookie
Ok, so your purpose in this material world is to be a useless consumer and eater and anarchist?

Seems like the philosophy of a man with no purpose....
Severe depression?

What do you want to do for the world? Lets focus on you because you seem to hold an opinion of everyone else.

What gives your life meaning?

ETA: put simply...what do you value?
I'd throw a wrench in that and ask what the purpose of the meaning of life is?

You have to stop at some point.

There is nothing to be depressed about, other than what makes anyone else depressed. Atheism is liberating when you see life as it actually is, not how you idealize it.

Lyfe

Star
I'd throw a wrench in that and ask what the purpose of the meaning of life is?

You have to stop at some point.

There is nothing to be depressed about, other than what makes anyone else depressed. Atheism is liberating when you see life as it actually is, not how you idealize it.
Why do atheists spend so much of their time trying to disprove a god that doesnt exist? Doesnt seem very liberating to me.

I still have yet to find a happy atheist btw. In fact I used to date one. She was on anti depressants and wasnt very happy in life. She lived in a prison

TagliatelliMonster

Established
Why do atheists spend so much of their time trying to disprove a god that doesnt exist? Doesnt seem very liberating to me.
Well, why shouldn't atheists be able to have a view on religion and be open about it? If I disagree with something, whether it is a "belief" or otherwise, I like to discuss it, learn more about it and argue against it when I can. You seem to be suggesting that atheists spend a great deal of time or energy arguing with religion, but I just do it whenever I feel like a debate or discussion. It's an interesting topic and it's one that I happen to think is very important, so why shouldn't I want to discuss it?

I still have yet to find a happy atheist btw. In fact I used to date one. She was on anti depressants and wasnt very happy in life. She lived in a prison
You haven't met enough atheists obviously, since you project so much onto them.
Atheism is only a disbelief in God from the lack of evidence.
Happiness and sadness is not a related factor, all humans experience both irregardless of their beliefs.

Lyfe

Star
I used to be an atheist. I didnt feel liberated as the one guy said. I was ignorant and close minded and professing to be wise I was a fool.

I know a handful of atheists btw. If there is a liberated one I have yet to meet them. The ones I know live in a prison of hopeless trivial existence.

TagliatelliMonster

Established
I used to be an atheist. I didnt feel liberated as the one guy said. I was ignorant and close minded and professing to be wise I was a fool.
Huh? Atheism is only a lack of belief in deities because of the absence of evidence. What you say doesn't make sense.

I know a handful of atheists btw. If there is a liberated one I have yet to meet them. The ones I know live in a prison of hopeless trivial existence.
This comment reflects very negatively on you. Such thinking is very judgmental and arrogant. You are no different from Atheists, only you hold one belief that they don't.

Lyfe

Star
They are the ones that convey the trivial meaningless unfulfilling nature of life to me. Im only telling you what they have conveyed to me themselves...

al-Taleb

Rookie
In the OP

Buddism and Hinduism being less predominant teach of a concept of the afterlife where one endures a form of chastisement(though not as severe) for ignorance.
Not exactly.

There is really no concept of "hell" in either Buddhism or Hinduism, the concept of rebirth is taken not exactly as horror but moreso non-preferred. One is supposed to aim for a release from the constant cycle of rebirth. Rebirth itself being taken negatively but shruggingly, rather than in a horrific sense.

Lyfe

Star
Not exactly.

There is really no concept of "hell" in either Buddhism or Hinduism, the concept of rebirth is taken not exactly as horror but moreso non-preferred. One is supposed to aim for a release from the constant cycle of rebirth. Rebirth itself being taken negatively but shruggingly, rather than in a horrific sense.
What would be more horrific to some than being reborn on this fallen world? 2pac said his only fear of death is reincarnation...

al-Taleb

Rookie
What would be more horrific to some than being reborn on this fallen world? 2pac said his only fear of death is reincarnation...
That is not they way they see it.

There is a fall so-to-speak though, but both Buddhism and Hinduism significantly differ on though details and have nothing to do with the Christian view which is based in hating the world.

Lyfe

Star
Those who hold those beliefs sugarcoat the idea of rebirth, but history has shown this world to be a pretty dark and unforgiving cruel world. There shouldnt be the optimism especially if you ended up in a soviet gulag during one of your incarnations or a kid with leukemia.

al-Taleb

Rookie
@al-Taleb
I think all religions are pretty bias really. Of course they believe that they are the correct path and smugly deny non-believers. Seen it with my peepers time and again.
Laying that blame solely on Christianity is wholly unfair.
I think many religions dislike the 'other' and to some extent are not "love"filled. Lol.
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying in regards to my post.

In Hinduism and Buddhism, the world is seen as illusory and negative but is not hated or regarded as 'evil'.
In Christianity, the world is seen as real but negative, and is seen as repulsive and sort of suffocating the spirit.

Comparatively they're very different in the values they place on these things.

The nature of time is where my interest is though because even if Hinduism and Buddhism commonly profess belief in rebirth, the ontology of them in comparison to the Abrahamic religions seems very similar.