Harmful ingredients found in deodorants

ishigo

Established
One of the most harmful chemicals that both men and women put on their bodies is deodorant.
I don't wear deodorant for that very reason.

7 Toxins Lurking in Your Deodorant
Just look at the list of chemical ingredients in an average deodorant:
1. Aluminum Compounds
Aluminum is the ingredient in antiperspirants that actually clogs your pores and prevents sweating. Aluminum exposure has been linked with the development of Alzheimer’s disease and interferes with your estrogen levels. When your body can’t process estrogen properly, there’s a higher risk for breast and prostrate cancer.
2. Parabens
This chemical is used in a lot of products these days as a preservative, but it is possibly one of the most harmful additives of all. Sometimes parabens act as estrogen in your body, which disrupts hormonal balances and has been linked to breast cancer and prostate cancer.
3. Steareths
These additives are the product of ethoxylation (weakening of harsh chemical in the manufacturing process), which simultaneously produces carcinogens and dioxanes.
4. Triclosan
The FDA has classified triclosan as a pesticide, yet it is in the majority of brand name deodorants. It’s used to kill bacteria in the manufacturing process, as well as when it comes in contact with your skin. When triclosan is combined with water it can also create a carcinogenic gas called chloroform.
5. Propylene Glycol
If used everyday, this chemical can cause damage to your central nervous system, heart and liver. It is also shown to irritate skin, especially if you have sensitive skin. Propylene glycol can be harmful at as small a percentage as 2%, yet deodorants generally have a high dose of 50% propylene glycol.
6. TEA and DEA
Triethanolamine (TEA) and diethanolamine (DEA) are chemicals can seep into your skin and affect your liver and kidneys. In fact, they’re so harmful that these two chemicals have already been banned from products in Europe because they are known carcinogens.
7. Artificial Colors
Some artificial colors and bleaches in deodorants can cause serious allergic reactions and are also known carcinogens.

link

Last edited:

Frank Badfinger

Superstar
But does it cover odor?

I like to do aerobic exercise and natural deodorants weren't cutting it for me. There usually is an odorous person in gym classes, but I don't want that person to be me.
No I find it keeps me very dry and odor free.

polymoog

Superstar
limes or lemon work, if you go that route.

i use this one right now: https://www.amazon.com/Island-Deodorant-Probiotic-Aluminum-free-Unscented/dp/B00GN8DW1M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3A1YJCJ1HGBMV&keywords=island+natural+deodorant&qid=1565746021&s=gateway&sprefix=island+natural+deo,aps,231&sr=8-3&th=1

i have used this one in the past and liked it:
https://www.amazon.com/Nourish-Organic-Deodorant-Natural-Vanilla/dp/B008GN1426/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=nourish+deodorant&qid=1565746108&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1
stopped using it

theres a few that use magnesium-- i think its a great way to get magnesium in the body. i tried a roll-on liquid (was never a fan of that), but i liked the Mg aspect. anyway, it burned like hell. supposed to happen to only a small fraction of people, but i guess im in that minority.

Frank Badfinger

Superstar
limes or lemon work, if you go that route.

i use this one right now: https://www.amazon.com/Island-Deodorant-Probiotic-Aluminum-free-Unscented/dp/B00GN8DW1M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3A1YJCJ1HGBMV&keywords=island+natural+deodorant&qid=1565746021&s=gateway&sprefix=island+natural+deo,aps,231&sr=8-3&th=1

i have used this one in the past and liked it:
https://www.amazon.com/Nourish-Organic-Deodorant-Natural-Vanilla/dp/B008GN1426/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=nourish+deodorant&qid=1565746108&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1
stopped using it

theres a few that use magnesium-- i think its a great way to get magnesium in the body. i tried a roll-on liquid (was never a fan of that), but i liked the Mg aspect. anyway, it burned like hell. supposed to happen to only a small fraction of people, but i guess im in that minority.
I use Mg spray for sore muscles. The Island deodorant looks promising.

polymoog

Superstar
I use Mg spray for sore muscles. The Island deodorant looks promising.
i thought both were good. theres a few others that i researched last year that i liked, but they didnt make the final cut for whatever reason (scent, price, etc.) read all the reviews, of course, before you decide. the nourish is a little waxy (i dont mind) and the island is on the chalky side.
i dont trust that crystal. toms of maine makes an aluminum free stick, but its mostly propylene glycol.

you can make your own-- its not difficult. thing is, theres just not enough time in the day for everything.

Frank Badfinger

Superstar
[QUOTE=" theres a few that use magnesium-- i think its a great way to get magnesium in the body. i tried a roll-on liquid (was never a fan of that), but i liked the Mg aspect. anyway, it burned like hell. supposed to happen to only a small fraction of people, but i guess im in that minority.[/QUOTE]

I applied liquid spray Mg this morning. I will give a stink or no stink update later today.:cool:

Last edited:

Frank Badfinger

Superstar
[QUOTE=" theres a few that use magnesium-- i think its a great way to get magnesium in the body. i tried a roll-on liquid (was never a fan of that), but i liked the Mg aspect. anyway, it burned like hell. supposed to happen to only a small fraction of people, but i guess im in that minority.
I applied liquid spray Mg this morning. I will give a stink or no stink update later today.:cool:[/QUOTE]
It did not work for me. Oh well, I tried.

polymoog

Superstar
I applied liquid spray Mg this morning. I will give a stink or no stink update later today.:cool:
It did not work for me. Oh well, I tried.[/QUOTE]

the formula for your muscles was probably different. i know the Mg deodorants work. i had a friend who tried it and loved it.

Vixy

Star
I tried an ecologic deodorant without any aluminum or any of that for a while and started sweating like crazy after a while and it smelled. Went back after a few months trial again, couldnt live like that.

Also tried the crystal deodorants and they did absolutely nothing so buying that was pointless. Took forever to rub them dry aswell (you're supposed to mildly moisture them and rub them on the armpit until dry)

Vulpesrex

Rookie
I use this one, a lady at the health foods store recommended it. It works pretty good and price wise is around the same as the other stuff. The tea tree scent works the best for odor control if you workout or just sweat a lot in the summer.
39068DB1-52F2-4E04-8D1A-0584651AD29B.jpeg

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
Its important to note the distinction between deodorant and antiperspirant imo.
Deodorant simply covers up the odors and there are many forms of "natural" deodorants and products which are still effective without being harmful. However antiperspirants, as the name implies, straight up prevent the body from performing its natural function of sweating which is very unhealthy on its own. When combined with the various toxic chemicals used to achieve that sweat-less goal, they can be really harmful, especially if used regularly over long periods of time.

MP3D

Established
i like the Arm and hammer baking soda one:

https://churchdwight.com/ingredient-disclosure/antiperspirant-deodorant/40500656-essentials-natural-deodorant-unscented.aspx

PRODUCT NAME:Arm & Hammer™ Essentials™ Deodorant with Natural Deodorizers - Unscented
CATEGORY: Antiperspirant/deodorant
MATERIAL NUMBER: 40500656

INGREDIENTS:

INGREDIENT NAME
FUNCTION
Dipropylene glycol
Emollient
Water
Solvent
Propylene glycol
Emollient
Sodium stearate
Emollient
Sodium bicarbonate
Odor absorber
Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) flower oil
Skin conditioning agent
Coriandrum sativum (coriander) fruit oil
Skin conditioning agent
Pelargonium graveolens (geranium) flower oil
Skin conditioning agent
Citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil
Skin conditioning agent
Triethyl citrate
Antioxidant
Ethylhexylglycerine
Antimicrobial
Octenidine HCl
Antimicrobial
Tetrasodium EDTA
Chelating agent
Allantoin
Skin conditioning agent

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
As a pharmacyst i've personally handled aaaaalll of these stuff in my lifetime.

Some of my relatives got high seric aluminium thanks to antitranspirants.

Don't forget the proppeler gás.

And did you know that if your sweat glands get blocked from your armpits you start sweating from somewhere else? When I was younger I used to spray antitranspirant trough my armpits and chest, as results I would sweat from my back lol