Halloween Is Evil!

Etagloc

Superstar
There is a very strong pagan connection with Halloween. Anyone who denies this is kidding themselves. Whether pagan celebrations can be reconciled with Christianity is another matter but the roots of Halloween (and Christmas for that matter) cannot be denied.

Look at Easter. It's something about some bunny, probably representing fertility. The holidays do have odd pagan connections that don't get talked about. We have to look beneath the surface.

That being said, I'm not necessarily opposed to paganism. But that is a separate issue from whether or not we're immersed in it (we are).

Haich

Superstar
All these holidays are nonsense, Valentine's Day, Halloween etc. They have no relation to anything of substance other than these huge retail corporations trying to get us to empty our pockets and indulge in their tacky goods.

There is a very strong pagan connection with Halloween. Anyone who denies this is kidding themselves. Whether pagan celebrations can be reconciled with Christianity is another matter but the roots of Halloween (and Christmas for that matter) cannot be denied.

Look at Easter. It's something about some bunny, probably representing fertility. The holidays do have odd pagan connections that don't get talked about. We have to look beneath the surface.

That being said, I'm not necessarily opposed to paganism. But that is a separate issue from whether or not we're immersed in it (we are).
A lot of holidays do have pagan roots, if you go back far enough. I don't think anyone will deny that...

However, these days the "paganism" of Christmas, Halloween, and Easter and the like are non-existent. It's like saying that power violence (a subgenre of punk rock) has blues roots. I mean, sure, technically. Power violence was born of hardcore, which was born from punk rock, which was born from rock and roll, which was born from blues... But you could do the whole degrees of separation from everything.

In their modern incarnation, these holidays are no more pagan than anything else capitalism has touched.

Devine

Star
It's all about supporting the American retail complex. That's what all Holidays are about anymore. Maybe the roots of Halloween were a bit weird, and borderline sketchy. But now it's all about selling that Candy and Costumes. So buy up, puppets!
yep happy mothers day! invented by hallmark!

TMT

Star
Favorite holiday as a kid and favorite holiday as an adult.
I love not being a christian and celebrating things like the equinoxes and solstices. One coming up next month and it will be a good feast.