Hair Care

moxmh

Rookie
castor oil and coconut oil to grow and condition hair.

Castor oil is also a drying oil so it might work for Aero too, though I don't really know about oily scalp treatment.

EDIT: Wash hair with baking soda, condition it with apple cider vinegar.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to buy some coconut oil today. Do I mix the baking soda with water in a paste first or just put it straight on the head?

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to buy some coconut oil today. Do I mix the baking soda with water in a paste first or just put it straight on the head?
You are welcome. If you or in the US (or Germany?) Aldi's has organic virgin coconut oil for under 5 bucks. I use it and I think it's just fine. good for hair skin face moisturizer, face cleaner, and for oil pulling and eating (take a teaspoon when it's solid and swallow with warm water like a pill it dissolves fast in your mouth). Take it with a turmeric capsule for added benefits.

With the baking soda - this is what I did and maybe this is all wrong but it worked okay - take an empty glass jar (medium size like for salsa or jelly), add about two tablespoons of baking soda and fill it with distilled water - shaky shaky to dissolve the BS. In the shower, wet the hair and pour the mixture on it then massage scalp, work through hair and rinse. For the ACV conditioner (I use Bragg) take a tablespoon in the same size jar with distilled water and if you want add a few drops rosemary essential oil and lavender essential oil (or any other that you like the scent) and pour that over hair and work through and rinse.

Or check this here:
Method – Part 1: Baking Soda
It might be hard to adjust to the lack of shampoo foaming action at first, but I promise this is worth it in the end.
Start by mixing 1 part baking soda with 3 – 4 parts water. I was making a large batch of this and then keeping it in my shower, but I noticed it wasn’t as effective as the individual batches I used to make. Then a reader (thanks Heather!) informed me that water activates baking soda and so now I am back to mixing individual batches in travel-sized squeeze bottles (pictured above).
I have shoulder length hair and use about 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 1/2 cup water. You can adjust this depending on your hair length.
To Apply:
  • Apply the baking soda and water mixture to dry or wet hair by applying it to the roots at the scalp.
  • I like to rub it into my scalp for about a minute and give myself a mini head massage. It feels great and it helps to make sure I get my scalp clean.
  • I don’t wash the ends with this mixture because the rest of my hair doesn’t get super oily.
  • Rinse with warm water.
Method – Part 2: Vinegar
After washing and rinsing with the baking soda mixture, you’ll want to apply a vinegar rinse. I’ve found that white vinegar does not leave as strong of a smell compared to apple cider vinegar so that is what I use in my rinse. Mix 1 part white vinegar with 4 parts water.
To minimize the vinegar smell, I like to add a variety of essential oils to the vinegar mixture. Here are my favorite combos:

I usually mix a big batch of this ahead of time and keep it in a squeeze bottle in the shower.
To Apply:
  • Tilt your head back, close your eyes (to avoid getting this mixture in your eyes), and distribute through your hair.
  • After a few seconds, rinse with cold water.
One of the ways that I’ve changed my method recently is rinsing my hair with cold water after the vinegar rinse. The cold water helps to seal in moisture, smooth the hair, and add shine. I have straight hair and have noticed that this really made a difference with eliminating frizz and static.
Since my hair is longer than when I used to use this method, I first noticed the vinegar smell leftover in my hair much more. To remedy this, I simply add two drops of lavender essential oil to my hair brush and run it through my hair as I blow dry it. Works like a charm!
And, if you enjoyed this tutorial, check out my other DIY and natural beauty recipes!

After towel drying the hair take a dime size of castor oil (I don't use Jamaican castor oil though I think that is specific for hair, I use Home health brand for all my castor oil needs),

Mix it with a dime size of coconut oil and rub through hair, comb through hair, and let air dry then style. ( i dont use a hair dryer but if you needed to that would probably be okay too) Also, depending on your hair (if it's fine, thin or straight), it might make your hair greasyso see what works best for you. You can also find alot of stuff on pinterest or youtube or healthblogs etc... Good luck!

Maryjane2.0

Rookie
I seem to be having the opposite problem. Like my scalp is so oily it's driving me insane. I've tried charcoal and acid and it works fine on the rest of my body, just not my head.

All that seems to work is not to put any product on my head at all. But than my hair starts to feel super gross.
Same. Just was feeling unwell overall.
Gonna get teatree and add it to my shampoo. Also, I put ACV on my hair before I wet it, let it sit for 5 minutes. Shampoo twice and condition the length, lightly on the roots. Have you tried a Tea tree shampoo?

Aero

Superstar
Same. Just was feeling unwell overall.
Gonna get teatree and add it to my shampoo. Also, I put ACV on my hair before I wet it, let it sit for 5 minutes. Shampoo twice and condition the length, lightly on the roots. Have you tried a Tea tree shampoo?
Yes I have a shampoo and conditioner with Tea Tree oil and it doesn't help at all. Actually I think the conditioner makes it worse. Like anything with the name "oil" in it, I should probably avoid. Probably going to try a shampoo with Acid as an active ingredient.

rainerann

Star
You know what else I loved using for my hair is a bay leaf soap. It was great for oil and this lady on Etsy used to make it into a soap that made it easy to use for washing my hair.

Although, I'm thinking of making my own oil with it soon. The oil is supposed to be good for lots of things I am interested in testing.

Apparently, it is also good for preventing hair loss too.

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-bay-leaf-for-skin-hair-and-health/

polymoog

Superstar
You know what else I loved using for my hair is a bay leaf soap. It was great for oil and this lady on Etsy used to make it into a soap that made it easy to use for washing my hair.

Although, I'm thinking of making my own oil with it soon. The oil is supposed to be good for lots of things I am interested in testing.
Apparently, it is also good for preventing hair loss too.
http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-bay-leaf-for-skin-hair-and-health/
why not make the soap as well? its not a difficult process, and you have total control of the ingredients.

rainerann

Star
why not make the soap as well? its not a difficult process, and you have total control of the ingredients.
Yah I've been meaning to try a crock pot recipe for a coffee soap, but haven't gotten around to it yet, but your right. There are many different soap recipes that are relatively easy to make and making a soap is much easier than using a tonic for your hair.

I always feel like I'm missing a spot when I'm pouring something the consistency of water on my head. :)

Camidria

Veteran
Yes I have a shampoo and conditioner with Tea Tree oil and it doesn't help at all. Actually I think the conditioner makes it worse. Like anything with the name "oil" in it, I should probably avoid. Probably going to try a shampoo with Acid as an active ingredient.
I have an oily scalp and found that if I use a natural shampoo without parabens and ditch the conditioner all out, its a lot better. So my advice is loose the conditioner, it makes things worse!

Camidria

Veteran
Did you guys know that Aloe vera (a pure one) is really good for hair that is going bald? If you can't find one Forever Livings Aloe Gelly really works for bald patches.

Aero

Superstar
I have an oily scalp and found that if I use a natural shampoo without parabens and ditch the conditioner all out, its a lot better. So my advice is loose the conditioner, it makes things worse!
I'll look into that, thanks.

I bought a deep pore cleanser a few days ago. It has zero oil in it. Like it's all charcoal and acid. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

Skywa1ker

Rookie
I'm an Esthetician and work in a spa/salon, so I have a few helpful tips. I wouldn't suggest coconut oil on the hair. It's molecules are too big to actually sink in, and it just sits on the hair making it feel heavy and gross, and by the time you've washed your hair a couple of times, it's still in rough shape because it just coated the hair, it didn't sink in. There is also nothing you can put on your hair to make it grow faster, hair grows from the scalp, but a healthy diet and biotin supplements will make a big impact on hair growth and the health and look of it. Also, hair and nails tend to grow faster in the summer time because of more vitamin D from the sun. I would suggest a high quality, moisture rich shampoo and conditioner formulated to treat damage. Aveda is a wonderful brand as well as Matrix Biolage. Ditching the hot tools and tight ponytails will make a big difference too, and putting braids in your hair will protect it (just not too tight!). Don't wash your hair every day, try for every three days.

As for an oily scalp, the charcoal is probably a good thing, but I might also suggest getting a Tea Tree shampoo, Paul Mitchel has an awesome one. You could use just the shampoo, or if you feel like you need conditioner too, only apply it to the ends of your hair, not anywhere near the scalp.

Sometimes when switching to high end products, it doesn't feel like it cleans as well as say, head and shoulders, because it's not stripping your hair of all the natural good oils your hair and scalp need. But once you get over the 'hump' your hair and scalp will be in a much better condition. Hope this helps :)

lamb

Established
what is your hair like? coarse/thin, wavy/straight, oily/dry
different oils work for different hair types

http://www.ulta.com/miracle-leave-in-plus-keratin?productId=xlsImpprod6481240
my hair's really fine and oily so i can't use any oils, but this product worked wonders on my hair

sulfate shampoos aren't good either because they dry your hair out

you might want to take a look around etsy too, there are a lot of natural hair products there :)

Haich

Superstar
Does anyone know what creams or lotions or oils moisturise dry curly hair?

Haich

Superstar
I condition my hair a lot which helps and she's moisture have a raw shea butter product I use but it's a temporary solution to an ongoing issue

Curly hair tends to be prone to dryness, here is an example of my hair texture

IMG_4115.JPG

Attachments

Skywa1ker

Rookie

Haich

Superstar
Beautiful examples of your hair texture! Mine is thick and curly too, although not that curly. What really helped me was an Aveda hair masque. I'll post a link
http://m.aveda.com/product/17754/35129/hair-care/treatment-masques/smooth-infusion-smoothing-masque#/shade/5_fl_oz/150_ml
Thanks, I'll try it out, I constantly battle with dryness, I keep a spray bottle of water with a little coconut oil as this is what keeps my hair moist.

We girls/guys with thick hair need to maintain it or it'll just turn unruly. The amount of times I've broken a comb is ridiculous