Hair Care

moxmh

Rookie
does anyone know of any organic ways to help very dry and frizzy hair that will not grow? Tried and tested?

I don't trust hair products in shops. They just make your hair worse. Thanks in advance :)

Edit: that's Siouxsie Sioux in the picture, not me. My hair isn't that bad (yet)

Haich

Superstar
Try using shea butter, it's quite rich so don't apply too much, but it's great on damp hair and seals in moisture.

Try to condition your hair once a week with extra virgin coconut oil and a hair conditioner of your choice. Rub it in your hair, leave it for an hour covered with an old tshirt or towel, then rinse with warm water.

Aero

Superstar
I seem to be having the opposite problem. Like my scalp is so oily it's driving me insane. I've tried charcoal and acid and it works fine on the rest of my body, just not my head.

All that seems to work is not to put any product on my head at all. But than my hair starts to feel super gross.

Haich

Superstar
I seem to be having the opposite problem. Like my scalp is so oily it's driving me insane. I've tried charcoal and acid and it works fine on the rest of my body, just not my head.

All that seems to work is not to put any product on my head at all. But than my hair starts to feel super gross.
Try dry shampoo sprays to absorb the oils.

moxmh

Rookie
Try dry shampoo sprays to absorb the oils.
These have chemicals in which genuinely make your hair fall out or become patchy. I would seriously advise against dry shampoo!!! I've been trying to grow my hair out for ages so I know all about the chemical crap lol

Aero

Superstar
Yeah I don't want my hair to fall out. I'm kind of afraid of being bald

castor oil and coconut oil to grow and condition hair.

Castor oil is also a drying oil so it might work for Aero too, though I don't really know about oily scalp treatment.

EDIT: Wash hair with baking soda, condition it with apple cider vinegar.

moxmh

Rookie
Yeah I don't want my hair to fall out. I'm kind of afraid of being bald
It's worse when you're a young woman who's supposed to have lovely, long flowing hair but all you've got is bald patches and frizziness. At least for men baldness is acceptable!

Haich

Superstar
These have chemicals in which genuinely make your hair fall out or become patchy. I would seriously advise against dry shampoo!!! I've been trying to grow my hair out for ages so I know all about the chemical crap lol
I use a brand called CoLab, it's fine for me. Moderation is key I think, if you over do it with products then there'll be long term effects but a spray here or there is ok.

It's worse when you're a young woman who's supposed to have lovely, long flowing hair but all you've got is bald patches and frizziness. At least for men baldness is acceptable!
That's depending on the age lol

Jamaican castor oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, argan oil, tea tree oil etc... all help with hair health.

Castor oil/tea tree oil helped me with dry scalp, but YouTube is your best bet for the specific product that will fit the problems youre having

Victoria

Rookie
A product where shea butter is one of the first ingredients is a good product. Shea Moisture is decent. Try shopping in the ethnic section.

I also do a bi-weekly treatment of honey, olive oil, and avocado if I can afford it. Sometimes I add fresh pumpkin when in season. Works wonders and you can slather the remaining on your skin, too. :)

polymoog

Superstar
you might be interested i researching urine (your own, of course, if you can get past the stigma). applying it to your hair is supposed to be very helpful. a quick search to refresh my memory on the subject showed that it helps regrow your hair.

if you do try it, please report back and let us know your results.

Maes17

Superstar

I only use shampoo. No styling products etc.
On occasion I'll put on a ball cap.

I'm sure genetics play a factor. My dad, grandpa and a lot of my cousins have full head of hair.

I'm the oldest of three boys. I'm 28 only 2 gray hairs. My hair is pitch black other than that.

The middle brother. He's 18. Full head of gray hair practically. He stresses over call of duty though. And his diet is very very horrible.

The youngest is 14. Too young to say I suppose, but a lot of hair.

My son's hair grows out like mine. Very shaggy/skaterish lol.

But back to your point. I think it's good to try to avoid styling products etc if you can get away with it.

I just like to wash my hair in the shower and let it be after

Aero

Superstar
you might be interested i researching urine (your own, of course, if you can get past the stigma). applying it to your hair is supposed to be very helpful. a quick search to refresh my memory on the subject showed that it helps regrow your hair.

if you do try it, please report back and let us know your results.
Huh? I can't put my piss on my head. And it's not about the stigma. Someone's hair would probably catch fire. That's too mean even for me, and I'm pretty mean sometimes.

rainerann

Star
You can also use rosemary essential oil or you can make a honey rinse by mixing it with some water and putting it on the scalp. I have tried both of them because my hair gets oily and I can't use castor oil.

They all just help to unclog follicles so hair can grow. My hair grows really slowly so I was looking for a way to speed it up and that is how I learned about these things.

Coconut oil also works to help hair growth. I use it as a pre-shampoo. Then you can wash it out with a shampoo and it won't leave your hair greasy, but using any oil as a pre-shampoo if you want to be able to wash your hair more frequently, is a good idea. It will help prevent dryness caused by shampooing without depending on conditioners with chemicals. I have given up conditioner completely. I just use a pre-shampoo with some coconut oil every now and then.

I think coconut oil is also supposed to prevent hair from getting gray too.

Although, if you can use the castor oil, I would think that would be the best choice because I have been using it on my eyelashes for the past couple years and it does really help them grow and become thicker, so I would imagine the same is true for hair growth. I just can't use castor oil on my hair, unfortunately.

Castor oil is also very thick so it might be good to thin it out a bit with either olive oil or Jojoba oil if you are going to try to use it on your scalp. Otherwise, it is basically the consistency of honey by itself and difficult to work with.

You might want to also consider dietary changes. Some of the most effective beauty treatments are internal. Flax seeds are good for healthy hair. You can also add coconut oil to juice or I put it in my coffee because coconut oil is solid at room temperature.

@Aero you might want to try beer or champagne for the oil on your head. You don't have to leave it on very long. Maybe like 5 minutes and it will help remove oil. If you use champagne, it will even lighten your hair a bit too. Both work pretty well in my experience, but it can give you a bit of a contact high. ;)

Haich

Superstar
I don't know what animal would pee on their hair, that's just straight nasty

There are plenty of clean and natural ways to look after your hair, leave the urine for the toilet bowl

polymoog

Superstar
Benefits of applying urine on the hair

• Massaging the scalp with urine helps in rejuvenating the hair follicles and stimulates hair growth.
  • It helps get rid of dandruff and other scalp problems, since urine is an antiseptic.
  • It makes the hair shiny and lustrous.
  • Applying this on a bald patch makes new hair grow in that region.
  • Applying urine on the scalp also reduces hair fall since it strengthens hair follicles and causes the hair to become healthier.
  • New hair growth automatically means that this therapy takes care of boosting the volume of your hair.
http://www.beautyglimpse.com/discover-benefits-urine-therapy-hair-growth/

urine therapy is a core treatment in ayurvedic medicine. im just delivering the message. embrace it or dismiss it.