Guns

mecca

Superstar
Typically the better weapons win though. And I think that the idea that guns are some kind of counterbalance against oppressive governments is silly. You are not going to shoot down a black hawk helicopter with your fancy nickle plated 9mm. Or maybe you got yourself some slick body armor. Well incoming artillery shell from a mile away. Have fun with that.
black panthers though

Anyone own guns?
Do you like guns?
I don't.

God Is The Giver of life and death. Guns can't really take away anybody's life unless He Has Already Decreed beforehand that that person is to die at that particular day and time.

So even if he or she were not to be shot, death would have still resulted in any other way with or without it, for Only God Can Grant death.

TMT

Star
Typically the better weapons win though. And I think that the idea that guns are some kind of counterbalance against oppressive governments is silly. You are not going to shoot down a black hawk helicopter with your fancy nickle plated 9mm. Or maybe you got yourself some slick body armor. Well incoming artillery shell from a mile away. Have fun with that.
You're right. People like to point to Vietnam, and sure they fought the US off for a long time, but if the military had its way, and if there was no Antiwar movement, they would have won eventually even if they had to kill everyone in NOrth Vietnam (which was the strategy read the Nick Turse book)

Bryn

Rookie
I think the way you feel about guns does depend on the culture you're brought up in, to some extent. In the USA, I get the impression that you think of it as "freedom" to own guns, and maybe somewhat pity the countries where it's illegal? Whereas here in the UK, I consider it "freedom" to be able to go to school / a mall / the cinema, with an extremely minimal risk of being shot.

Lurker

Star
It's so weird when I walk into Walmart and they just have guns in the aisles and on the walls for sale. Like right next to the cereal or something...
Edit: i don't shop at walmart, i've only been there once... i swear
It's ok to shop at wally-world. They have cheap socks and underwear. They also have my preferred brand of jalapenos. It's only when you only shop there that makes you a douche canoe.

Guns are a very hard issue for me. I feel that women, the LGBT community and smaller men all have the right to defend themselves with the great equalizer. I feel everyone has that right.

Still, I don’t feel comfortable when I walk into a grocery store and see some jackass packing heat. In most scenarios it just makes things worse and we all have to worry about the next maniac shooting up a public place.

I can’t realistically support gun control without gun control for cops. I’d be totally unelectable in left wing American politics for my views on this but I can’t see it any other way.