Guns

mecca

Superstar
Regulated could mean anything from full auto to single shot. Not to mention, who gets to have them. More detail, please.
People shouldn't be able to get fully automatic guns or military weapons or anything. And criminals or crazy people shouldn't be able to buy guns...

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
I live in a state that just passed constitutional carry laws and our crime has begun to drop. I love guns, I own over a dozen and have a license to own the more questionable weapons out there.

I've always lived in a dangerous city and firearms have been great deterrents with peace of mind. I don't think everyone should have one but I don't think there should be any regulation outside of a background check and maybe a mandatory class.

@mecca
With the right licensing you can get military weapons especially as a vet but in reality knowing the right person is all you need.

However this is like discussing polygamy lol. Not everyone should and not everyone have the requisite maturity to walk around with a desert eagle and not feel the urge to point out at anyone disrespecting them.

Lurker

Star
People shouldn't be able to get fully automatic guns or military weapons or anything. And criminals or crazy people shouldn't be able
People shouldn't be able to get fully automatic guns or military weapons or anything. And criminals or crazy people shouldn't be able to buy guns...
Everything you said is a matter of perspective. Though, in the end, I don't think we disagree that much.

Lurker

Star
Scr
Everything you said is a matter of perspective. Though, in the end, I don't think we disagree that much.

Loki

Established
I'm not pro-guns, but much of my family and friends are so I've been around them a lot. I've fired a couple of pistols at a range but that's about it. Honestly, I do understand the appeal of them. I like cool gadgets and tools and such, and a gun is a really cool tool and gadget a lot of the time. Not only that, but you feel powerful holding and firing one, so I understand why they give people peace of mind in a way. That said, I think they should have been restricted to only hunting and personal home protection from the get-go. If you aren't doing either of those things your gun should be in a disassembled state with not ammo in or around it, or locked in a safe. However, it's too late for such laws to really be instituted because we've oversaturized the nation with our (America's) obsession with guns and so if you take them away from law abiding citizens you would only likely encouraged criminals who will still have access to firearms.

I do, however, think that stricter regulations are a perfectly fine idea. If you want a gun and you plan to be responsible with it then you should be willing to go through a long and inconvenient process to obtain such a lethal weapon. Stricter regulations should include mandatory background checks, at least two psych evals by different doctors and you shouldn't be allowed to pick them yourself, and then at least a week's worth of safety training and operational instruction followed by a mandatory evaluation test by a certified instructor. You should also be required to carry each of those permits with you whenever you have your gun.

Also, no personal sales should be legal without the buyer going through the required steps independently and presenting you with the proper certifications and permits, not following these steps should be punishable at least a year in jail as you are essentially no different than someone selling a weapon on the black market.

Stricter restrictions and regulations should weed out those who want to get a gun because it's cool or a whim, and those who legitimately feel they need it for their safety or their family's safety and will approach their right to a firearm responsibly and with respect.

Lurker

Star
I'm not pro-guns, but much of my family and friends are so I've been around them a lot. I've fired a couple of pistols at a range but that's about it. Honestly, I do understand the appeal of them. I like cool gadgets and tools and such, and a gun is a really cool tool and gadget a lot of the time. Not only that, but you feel powerful holding and firing one, so I understand why they give people peace of mind in a way. That said, I think they should have been restricted to only hunting and personal home protection from the get-go. If you aren't doing either of those things your gun should be in a disassembled state with not ammo in or around it, or locked in a safe. However, it's too late for such laws to really be instituted because we've oversaturized the nation with our (America's) obsession with guns and so if you take them away from law abiding citizens you would only likely encouraged criminals who will still have access to firearms.

I do, however, think that stricter regulations are a perfectly fine idea. If you want a gun and you plan to be responsible with it then you should be willing to go through a long and inconvenient process to obtain such a lethal weapon. Stricter regulations should include mandatory background checks, at least two psych evals by different doctors and you shouldn't be allowed to pick them yourself, and then at least a week's worth of safety training and operational instruction followed by a mandatory evaluation test by a certified instructor. You should also be required to carry each of those permits with you whenever you have your gun.

Also, no personal sales should be legal without the buyer going through the required steps independently and presenting you with the proper certifications and permits, not following these steps should be punishable at least a year in jail as you are essentially no different than someone selling a weapon on the black market.

Stricter restrictions and regulations should weed out those who want to get a gun because it's cool or a whim, and those who legitimately feel they need it for their safety or their family's safety and will approach their right to a firearm responsibly and with respect.
Wow. I can kill with a ball point pen. Should I jump through hoops to own one of those? What about my work knives? Should I be licensed to own them? I'll take dangerous freedom, thanks.

mecca

Superstar
People can kill with their bare hands... but hands are not made for the sole purpose of murder. Guns are, that's why people think of them a little differently. I still think it's important to be able to own a gun if you feel like you need to. Also it's not right for the people in power to have guns and no one else because that would be super dangerous.

Lurker

Star
People can kill with their bare hands... but hands are not made for the sole purpose of murder. Guns are, that's why people think of them a little differently. I still think it's important to be able to own a gun if you feel like you need to. Also it's not right for the people in power to have guns and no one else because that would be super dangerous.
The problem is that those in power have far superior guns

Edit: guns are for self-defense not murder. In my opinion