Grandma Was Right

rainerann

Star
eh well i figured they kinda were a hierarchy somewhat like my gram's crazy church was foursquare, don't you think they corresponded with the big heads of that church?
i am really asking, not sure how it does work
The Foursquare church was founded by a lady named Aimee Semple Mcphearson in the beginning of the 20th century as part of the Pentecostal movement of the time. She was very popular and would travel around as an evangelist. Very charismatic I guess. I think her presentations were very theatrical if I remember. Her first church that she was able to build with financial donations from her audience had a stage where they would show plays and performances.

However, she was a woman and she was divorced, so the Pentecostal church would not allow her to join their organization. Therefore, the Foursquare denomination was born because she was very charismatic and very popular to continue independently.

She has kind of an odd story in the end. She ends up fairly wealthy and is taken advantage of by someone pretending to want to marry her. It ends badly and doesn't last.

That is about all I know about it. She was part of the charismatic movement, but not in the same extreme way as the baptism of the Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues crowd.

Anyways, it is unlikely she was connected in any sort of hierarchical system because there was discrimination against her and they are a fairly new denomination. I don't know that I would even say that they will last because the creation of the Foursquare church appears to have been dependent on the popularity of Aimee Semple and not entirely on doctrine or any sort of specific denominational teaching. It seems to continue to die out as time goes on.

llleopard

Established
Is there anything that they write which you believe contradicts the bible?
http://www.chick.com/m/reading/tracts/readtract.asp?stk=1044 far out this load of baloney is bizarre! I struggled though this whole tract- selected at random- the bible never presents demons, if that's what those are meant to be, as unicorn dwarf things. And nowhere does the bible say Jesus will meet us in the air in the rapture. What a load of appalling claptrap, preying on people's ignorance and fear. Totally horrible.

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
http://www.chick.com/m/reading/tracts/readtract.asp?stk=1044 far out this load of baloney is bizarre! I struggled though this whole tract- selected at random- the bible never presents demons, if that's what those are meant to be, as unicorn dwarf things. And nowhere does the bible say Jesus will meet us in the air in the rapture. What a load of appalling claptrap, preying on people's ignorance and fear. Totally horrible.
What I meant was the actual message of what a person must do to be saved - does the Chick tract do that correctly?
Do they teach anything that actually contradicts the bible?

llleopard

Established
What I meant was the actual message of what a person must do to be saved - does the Chick tract do that correctly?
Well I haven't read all those tracts- that one truly made me feel nauseous- but that confess your sins bit at the bottom... while technically 'correct', I think it is the most stunted, painful, actually repulsive presentation of 'salvation' I have ever seen. What I said in prev post- those two things for a start are contrary to the bible so while there may be a grain of truth in this guys raving, I find the whole package unbelievably vile . Do you like these tracts? If so, why? Curious ☺

JoChris

Superstar
who the chick folks? i don't know too much of the bible but, love thy neighbor maybe? thats in there right? lol
I think very little bible is in it UNTIL the end. People wouldn't read them otherwise.
It is a strength and a weakness.
The cartoons are shocking and that is intended. Any inaccuracies would repel anyone who knew the belief system being exposed though.

JoChris

Superstar
Well I haven't read all those tracts- that one truly made me feel nauseous- but that confess your sins bit at the bottom... while technically 'correct', I think it is the most stunted, painful, actually repulsive presentation of 'salvation' I have ever seen. What I said in prev post- those two things for a start are contrary to the bible so while there may be a grain of truth in this guys raving, I find the whole package unbelievably vile . Do you like these tracts? If so, why? Curious ☺
No I don't like them personally but I do understand their impact and why it has been used as a evangelism tool by some. It is a shock to the system.
I would be very concerned for a new believer if their faith was built on Chick tracts and not on good bible teachings.

JoChris

Superstar
I just read that one. The writer used nonbelievers' idea of what demons might look like very effectively.

It certainly shows he believed in the Premillenialism position of the Rapture. http://www.religionfacts.com/premillennialism

Like or loath him - he sure was gifted at making sure that any reader knew where he stood on beliefs. Today's preachers are too often the other extreme.

Devine

Star
i came across a couple old songs that sound like they are singing to demons, if you believe in that sort of thing:
or singing to ghosts. i remember these lyrics striking me as strange even as a child.

elsbet

Superstar
i came across a couple old songs that sound like they are singing to demons, if you believe in that sort of thing:
or singing to ghosts. i remember these lyrics striking me as strange even as a child.
Right? I'm not familiar with those two songs, but I've wondered the same on plenty of other ones.

Alanantic

Star
i'm sure this is exactly the type of stuff still taking place, and a bunch of new high tech stuff im sure
Maybe it's time to let all that stuff go. It's only gonna make yourself nauseous thinking about it. Begin a new! Start your own path to...whatever you chose. "Second star to the right, and straight on till morning"

Devine

Star
Maybe it's time to let all that stuff go. It's only gonna make yourself nauseous thinking about it. Begin a new! Start your own path to...whatever you chose. "Second star to the right, and straight on till morning"
shut up.

Devine

Star
if i was a christian id be pretty pissed over these lyrics. but, you gotta make love to the devil, even if it hurts ;)
Thirty Seconds To Mars Lyrics
"Walk On Water"

Oh oh, oh oh
Oh oh, oh oh
Oh oh, oh oh (Do you believe? Walk on water)
Oh oh, oh oh

Can you even see what you're fighting for?
Blood lust and a holy war
Listen up, hear the patriot shout:
"Times are changing"
In the end the choice was clear
Take a shot in the face of fear
Fist up in the firing line
Times are changing

Oh oh, oh oh
Do you believe that you can walk on water?
Oh oh, oh oh
Do you believe that you can win this fight tonight?
(Do you believe?)

Look at the sky, see a dying star
White lies, it's a man on fire
Making love with the devil hurts
Times are changing
A thin line, the whole truth
The far right, the left view
Breaking all those promises made
Times are changing

Oh oh, oh oh
Oh oh, oh oh
Oh oh, oh oh
Oh oh, oh oh

Do you believe? Walk on water

Oh oh, oh oh
Oh oh, oh oh

Do you believe?
Oh oh, oh oh
Walk on water
Do you believe?
Oh oh, oh oh
Walk on water

elsbet

Superstar
This is probably what is being referenced--

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

"... the Lord himself, in a shout, in the voice of a chief-messenger, and in the trump of God, shall come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ shall rise first, then we who are living, who are remaining over, together with them shall be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in air, and so always with the Lord we shall be; so, then, comfort ye one another in these words
."

There's part of me that believes Jack Chick was the greatest satirist the ever lived and he died with the world believing that he believed the things he printed. The mythology surrounding his work almost feels like parody of certain elements of Protestantism taken to an illogical extreme; Catholicism is not only the Whore of Babylon but it's hierarchy is essentially filled with masters of the Xantaos Gambit, everything that's not his particular brand of Christianity is thoroughly (including other sects of Christianity), and everything fun is evil.

Throw in tracts like 'Lisa', which are no longer available in print or even on his website because it's so disgustingly offensive and the fact that he stated in multiple works that the Necronomicon is real... I don't know. It feels like some big joke. But maybe that's my way of actually trying to make sense of a series of comic strips that come off like the extreme end of the conspiracy theorists movement, where we live on a flat earth full of lizard people.

JoChris

Superstar
There's part of me that believes Jack Chick was the greatest satirist the ever lived and he died with the world believing that he believed the things he printed. The mythology surrounding his work almost feels like parody of certain elements of Protestantism taken to an illogical extreme; Catholicism is not only the Whore of Babylon but it's hierarchy is essentially filled with masters of theXantaos Gambit, everything that's not his particular brand of Christianity is thoroughly (including other sects of Christianity), and everything fun is evil.

Throw in tracts like 'Lisa', which are no longer available in print or even on his website because it's so disgustingly offensive and the fact that he stated in multiple works that the Necronomicon is real... I don't know. It feels like some big joke. But maybe that's my way of actually trying to make sense of a series of comic strips that come off like the extreme end of the conspiracy theorists movement, where we live on a flat earth full of lizard people.
That "Lisa" tract from a fundamentalist viewpoint is completely true.
From the human perspective I am very appalled by its lack of justice on behalf of the little girl. I realise it is a short tract but the father should have ended up in prison and THEN had a church's prison pastor come to preach the Gospel.

I am glad this tract is not available- its viewpoint is thankfully extremely dated. This is one area that modern society's values are vastly improved where it comes to p**philes!

There's part of me that believes Jack Chick was the greatest satirist the ever lived and he died with the world believing that he believed the things he printed. The mythology surrounding his work almost feels like parody of certain elements of Protestantism taken to an illogical extreme; Catholicism is not only the Whore of Babylon but it's hierarchy is essentially filled with masters of theXantaos Gambit, everything that's not his particular brand of Christianity is thoroughly (including other sects of Christianity), and everything fun is evil.

Poe's Law https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

llleopard

Established
This is probably what is being referenced--

1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

"... the Lord himself, in a shout, in the voice of a chief-messenger, and in the trump of God, shall come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ shall rise first, then we who are living, who are remaining over, together with them shall be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in air, and so always with the Lord we shall be; so, then, comfort ye one another in these words."
Quite possibly if he had pretty much zero understanding of the kingdom or types/symbols in the Bible.