Goodbye, electoral college?

We can only hope. Even if it passes the house it’s DOA in the Senate, it’s doubtful you get two thirds in either chamber to even consider it or the 3/4 to ratify it.

Last edited:

Dalit

Star
I looked up the history on this kind of joint resolution and the closest it came to passing was in 1969-1970 during the Nixon administration. I think it has a real chance of passing this time given the current political climate. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

The political climate in the late 60s was similar, I think. Ever see the Buckley and Vidal debates of 1968? Check out the documentary Best of Enemies sometime. The intellectual debates of that time are sadly missing these days.

Last edited:
I looked up the history on this kind of joint resolution and the closest it came to passing was in 1969-1970 during the Nixon administration. I think it has a real chance of passing this time given the current political climate. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

The political climate in the late 60s was similar, I think. Ever see the Buckley and Vidal debates of 1968? Check out the documentary Best of Enemies sometime. The intellectual debates of that time are sadly missing these days.
There’s no way the Republicans will allow it as 2 of their last 4 presidential wins were based off the college and both times have been disasters so from my perspective it would be good a good thing.

Vidal is complicated but I’ll always love him for calling Buckley a “crypto-Nazi” to his face lol