God Gave Me Breast Cancer Because He Loves Me

Mr. Blah

Veteran
Joni Eareckson Tada was severely injured in a diving accident in 1967. For the past forty-eight years she has been a quadriplegic. Tada’s life story was popularized in a best-selling book titled Joni.

In the Friday, June 25, 2010 edition of the Defiance Crescent-News, there was a story about Tada undergoing treatment for breast cancer (behind pay wall).

As I read the article, what astounded me was Tada’s comment about God’s involvement in her breast cancer.

Tada said:

I’ve often said that our afflictions come from the hand of our all-wise and sovereign God, who loves us and wants what’s best for us. So, although cancer is something new, I am content to receive from God, what ever he deems fit for me. Yes, it’s alarming, but rest assured Ken and I are utterly convinced that God is going to use this to stretch our faith, brighten our hope and strengthen of our witness to others.

In other words, God gave Tada breast cancer because he loved her and deemed it best for her. God gave her cancer so that she and her husband would have more faith and be a stronger witness to others.

Tada’s God is best described as a know-it-all deity who afflicts humans with sickness, disease, suffering, and death because he loves them and wants to increase their faith in him. He then wants them to use the afflictions he gave them to tell others what a wonderful God he is.

Crazy, isn’t it? I doubt if Sigmund Freud could even figure this out.

The Christian interpretation of the Bible presents God as a father and the Christian as a child. Good fathers love, protect, and nurture their children. They don’t beat them, abuse them, or afflict them with suffering. Every right-minded human being knows what qualities make for a good father. We also know what qualities make for a bad father.

A father who has the power to heal and doesn’t is a bad father. A father who causes suffering, sickness, and disease when he could do otherwise is a bad father. A father who afflicts his child with breast cancer is a bad father. A father who gives his child breast cancer so she can tell everyone what a wonderful father he is, is a bad father. From my seat in the pew, this God-the-father, as presented by modern Christianity, is a bad father.

Tada’s argument for a breast cancer-giving God is one of the reasons I left Christianity. I could no longer believe in a loving God that willingly afflicts and kills his children because he has determined that it is best for them. This God demands the Christian bear whatever affliction he brings upon them, and in true narcissistic fashion also demands that they love him while he is afflicting them. I want nothing to do with such a capricious, vindictive, warped God.

Disease, sickness, suffering, and death are all around us. If God could do something about these things and doesn’t, what are we to make of such a God? What are we to make of a God who is seemingly involved in the intimate details of life, yet when things really matter is absent without leave (AWOL)?

Christians sing a song that says “what a mighty God we serve.” A mighty God? In what way is the Christian God mighty? Batman and Superman were mighty gods. They used their powers for good. They were always on call, ready at a moment’s notice, to swoop in and help those in need. But the Christian God ? It seems the bigger the need the harder he is to find. As I noted in another post, God seems to involve himself in trivial matters like getting a woman a $200 refund on her plane ticket, but he seemingly can’t be found when an environmentally catastrophic oil leak needs plugging. Perhaps we need to forget about this God and turn on the Bat signal.

I am saddened by Joni Eareckson Tada’s affliction with breast cancer. Being a quadriplegic for over fifty years is enough suffering for one lifetime. But I know just because you have one health problem in life doesn’t mean you won’t be afflicted again. As I have learned in my own life, just because I have Fibromyalgia doesn’t mean I won’t get some other disease. Life isn’t fair. Life can be cruel. I’ve known Christians whose lives were devastated by one tragedy or sickness after another. If God is the one dumping all this on them, it would seem proper to ask God to move on to someone else. “Please God afflict sister so-and-so. She is in perfect health.”

Christians often quote the verse that says God will never give anyone more than they can bear. In other words, no matter what you face in life, God has determined you can bear it. This verse always leaves God off the hook. God, who is sovereign over all things, determines that you can bear to have cancer, AIDS, Fibromyalgia, ALS, MS, emphysema, or any other dreaded disease, so he afflicts you. You are expected to bear whatever he brings your way. If you don’t, it is your fault. Your failure to bear your burden shows that you lack faith.

Reality paints us a different picture. Many Christians, if not most, do not bear their burdens as the Bible says they should. I have counseled hundreds of Christians over the years who were weighed down by the burdens given to them by God (so they thought). At the time, I encouraged them to have more faith, but rarely did the faith of the afflicted rise to the weight of the burden. Most often, the burden broke their back. Sadly, many of these people continue to walk around, stooped over and crippled, all the while singing “what a mighty God we serve.”

There is a hypocritical vein in this line of thinking. The theory is this: God afflicts his children with suffering for their good because he loves them and wants to increase their faith. I would ask then, why do Christians go to the doctor and take prescription medications? It seems to me that not seeing the doctor and not taking medication would result in a greater increase in faith. Surely a sovereign, omnipotent God is bigger than high blood pressure or diabetes and surely a sovereign, omnipotent God is bigger than any pain a Christian might have, right?

There are Christian sects that do have this kind of faith. They don’t go to doctors and they refuse to take medication of any kind. And every few years we have the privilege of reading about them in the newspaper when they are charged with manslaughter or child abuse for failing to get proper medical care for one of their children.

For me personally, it is more palatable for there to be no God, or a God that is not involved in his creation, than there is a God that afflicts people because he loves them and wants to increase their faith. Such a God is a monster of vast proportions, a God unworthy of worship.

I recognize that sickness, suffering, and disease can be instrumental in shaping us and changing us and making us better people. But this is far different from a loving God-the-father afflicting us so that we will love him, have more faith, and be better witnesses. Such thinking is barbaric and best relegated to the ancient past it came from.

https://brucegerencser.net/2015/02/god-gave-breast-cancer-loves/

=====

Imagine thinking that paralysis, the stretching of your faith all these years, the hope you thought you had attained and the strength of your witness all these years wasn’t enough?

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
A very good friend of mine came to a fragile, new faith whilst at College with me many years ago. One week he came to church with me. The week after, he turned his back on the faith.

It turned out he had been sent a letter having popped his name on a mailing list prompting him to give 30, 60 or £100 towards the fund for the church extension based on a monumental mishandling of the Parable of the Sower.

My point is this - people are frequently stupid. They don't stop being that way overnight.

So often our views can be shaped by who we react against or who we find attractive. Separating out personalities and experiences from truth itself is perhaps the most demanding thing of all.

Haich

Superstar
I for one actually found her approach to this debilitating illness to be amazing.

It takes real strength to accept suffering, in the form of illness, famine, mourning etc. The issue I have is humans make the mistake of attributing human understanding and human emotion to God. We can't understand God's ways, people have been trying to do this since the dawn of time. It's part of his grandeur and puts us in our place. God doesn't inflict suffering, I believe he tests us through illness and other means suffering in an effort to draw us closer to him.

When our lives are all happy and jolly, do we really thank God? Are we ever grateful? No, we're too busy enjoying the fruits of our labours and efforts. Too much goodness, causes us to neglect our duties to God. It's this pain and pleasure balance we have in our lives which ensures we aren't heedless of our creator and know there will be a meeting with our maker when we die...

If you're sitting an exam, think of the tribulations as the teacher patting you on the shoulder or prompting you to answer the question in a specific manner. I see God as a merciful entity trying to help those with goodness inside them...

Have you ever seen those arrogant people who are filthy rich, never experienced any hardship, sometimes atheist or agnostic? Usually bankers, heirs to crazy fortunes and properties or politicians..God blesses them more with wealth and riches and bitches or whatever their heart desires...leaders involved in child abuse scandals who are under the radar and their sins are hidden from the public eye, yet God still gives them monetary and political influence...the way I see it, God's telling them this is as good as it gets for you. Enjoy yourself because when the great resurrection occurs, you won't hide, you'll be exposed and you will be punished severely for the things you used to say and do...

In Islam goodness isn't always what most people deem good, wealth and power can be a means of destruction too. With regards to illness, it depends on the person, some evil people are inflicted with illness but so are good people. Ultimately we may not understand the complexity of God's way and the intricacy of his plans but they all make sense in the end, if we were to watch our lives in reverse it would make a pretty compelling and carefully designed tale

Haich

Superstar
We really underestimate God's wrath, it's coming all right.

However he's also merciful to those who too have mercy in their hearts.

Mr. Blah

Veteran
If you want to be a theist but in the same time, acknowledge the indifference/ignorance of God to your prayers, you should choose Deism.

God initiated everything and we are His lab rats in His experiment of life.

Haich

Superstar
If you want to be a theist but in the same time, acknowledge the indifference/ignorance of God to your prayers, you should choose Deism.

God initiated everything and we are His lab rats in His experiment of life.
I think God is pretty clear about much of why we're here. The 'bigger plan' so to speak can't be reduced to your analogy, who's to say we're the only lifetime to go through tests...jinns are on the same boat.

I believe God interferes though, when and how and why is where my knowledge meets its limit.

Haich

Superstar
What would be a Christian interpretation of illness as a test or a means of expiation of sin?

Why do Christians think God allows suffering ? In any form, illness in particular to relate to the OP's message

Mr. Blah

Veteran
For me, prayer is just a wishful thinking.
I don't believe in God for 100%.

I don't want God to limit my free will.

Haich

Superstar
Free reign and execution of your free will with no sense of consequence will ultimately destroy you because you'll realise that life is empty and meaningless without God

Mr. Blah

Veteran
You seem very angry at God for creating a world where evil and suffering is possible. If you were to do a better job, and allow for a world where free will and love were possible, how might you have done it differently?
Tada must feel (very) angry to God too in some points of her life because she felt God ignored her prayers.
And the only answer she got was: deep silence.
Until today.

If you talk to your friend and the only response of your friend gives is silence, what do you feel?

Mr. Blah

Veteran
You seem very angry at God for creating a world where evil and suffering is possible. If you were to do a better job, and allow for a world where free will and love were possible, how might you have done it differently?
If God could harden Pharaoh's heart and He could drag Paul away from his evil plan to murder Christians in Damascus, then He could soften all people's hearts too.

Why doesn't He do that?

What people fail to understand is that we weren't Created for the enjoyments of this life, which is what most people are after these days.

Most people do not even speak about God, The Ultimate Reason for everything's existence. How many recognize that i wonder?

The problem is that we've been entangled in Satan's web. It's all around us and yet we are blinded from seeing it.

Consider the times when there was no technology. Everything was hard to obtain. People had to walk miles to get water.

People had more time to think and ponder. People had more time to be conscious of God's Watchfulness on them at each second.

What about the present times? Everything's just too easy. At a mouse's click, many satisfy their lusts through mere images, God Forbid.

Where's our modesty? Where's our shyness? The lack of these blinds us from enjoying the sweetness of faith.

Everybody is pursuing their vain desires and passions. People are working their asses off anticipating the money at the end of the month.

See how Satan entangled us from God's Remembrance?

The world wide web. Interest banking where money is made off money. Where's the logic in that? What is money except mere atoms?

Can money sustain the universe in existence? Hell, no!

Then why do people run after it?

It's a material versus spiritual battle and the way i see it is that God Makes those whom He Loves suffer here on earth itself rather than after death.

Consider somebody who's still in his tomb right now and has been dead for over 2000 years. Life in the grave is longer than life on earth.

Sometimes we are oblivious of our sins. Our sins are so vast and so enormous and so offending to God and we don't even know it.

We have been Created only to worship God Almighty. That's the main reason of our existence. To recognize Him and to remind others about Him.

As Haich correctly pointed out, those living their lives without a worry or a scratch are really those for whom we should be worrying...

Lisa

Superstar
I think Joni has a warped view of things personally. I don't know that God gave her cancer. Its a fallen world so bad things happen in it, that doesn't mean that God gives you all the bad things that happen. But, when the bad things do happen in your life...where do you turn? Do you turn to God and lean on Him, or not? Leaning on God strengthens your relationship with Him, deepens your faith.

Then there are things that God uses to test your faith, to mold you and shape you into the person He made you to be. God does tell us that he tests our faith. The testing of our faith can be a hardship but it helps to produce things in us that wouldn't happen without it..so in the end that is good.

God also says He doesn't give us more than we can handle...we seem to be able to handle more than we knew we could..and when God is involved, He can handle anything.

He says that He can bring good from the bad, this is not to say that God brought the bad so that He could bring the good..but He can bring good things from the bad things that happen in life.

So, there could be any number of things happening in this situation, but the bottom line is that she should trust God to be her strength through it all...and it sounds like that is what she is going to be doing.

If God could harden Pharaoh's heart and He could drag Paul away from his evil plan to murder Christians in Damascus, then He could soften all people's hearts too.

Why didn't He do that?
Simply because these peoples made the choice of disbelieving in God's Message. Based on our choices, God either Guides or Misguides.