God Calling

None of you

Established
Quiet Lives. - November 17

Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter thou into the Joy of thy Lord. - Matt. 25:23.

These words are whispered in the ears of many whom the world would pass by unrecognizing. Not to the great, and the world-famed, are these words said so often, but to the quiet followers who serve Me unobtrusively, yet faithfully, who bear their cross bravely, with a smiling face to the world. Thank Me for the quiet lives.

These words speak not only of the passing into that fuller Spirit Life. Duty faithfully done for Me does mean entrance into a Life of Joy - My Joy, the Joy of your Lord. The world may never see it, the humble, patient, quiet service, but I see it, and My reward is not Earth's fame, Earth's wealth, Earth's pleasures, but the Joy Divine.

Whether here, or there, in the earth-world, or in the spirit-world, this is My reward. Joy. The Joy that carries an exquisite thrill in the midst of pain and poverty and suffering. That Joy of which I said no man could take it from you. Earth has no pleasure, no reward, that can give man that Joy. It is known only to my lovers and My friends.

This Joy may come, not as the reward of activity in My service. It may be the reward of activity in My service. It may be the reward of patient suffering, bravely borne.

Suffering, borne with Me, must in time bring Joy, as does all real contact with Me. So live with Me in that Kingdom of Joy, My Kingdom, the Gateway into which may be service, it may be suffering.

None of you

Established
Dazzling Glory. - November 18

Arise shine; for thy Light is come, and the Glory of the Lord is risen; upon thee. - Isa. 60:1.

The glory of the Lord is the Beauty of His Character. It is risen upon you when you realize it, even though on Earth you can do so only in part.

The Beauty of the Purity and Love of God is too dazzling for mortals to see in full.

The Glory of the Lord is also risen upon you when you reflect that Glory in your lives, when in Love; Patience; Service; Purity; whatever it may be, you reveal to the world a something of the Father, an assurance that you have been with Me, your Lord and Saviour.

None of you

Established
Hills of the Lord. - November 19

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made Heaven and Earth. - Psalm 121:1, 2

Yes! always raise your eyes, from Earth's sordid and mean and false, to the Hills of the Lord. From poverty, lift your eyes to the Help of the Lord.

In moments of weakness, lift your eyes to the Hills of the Lord.

Train your sight by constantly getting this long view. Train it to see more and more, further and further, until distant peaks seem familiar.

The Hills of the Lord. The Hills whence comes your help. A parched earth looks to the Hills for its rivers, its streams, its life. So look you to the Hills. From those Hills comes Help. Help from the Lord - Who made Heaven and Earth.

So, for all your spiritual needs, look to the Lord, Who made Heaven, and for all your temporal needs look to Me, owner of allthis, the Lord Who made the Earth.

None of you

Established
Mysteries. - November 20

Your Hope is in the Lord. More and more set your hopes on Me. Know that whatever the future may hold it will hold more and more of Me. It cannot but be glad and full of Joy. So in Heaven, or on earth, wherever you may be, your way must be truly one of delight.

Do not try to find answers to the mysteries of the world. Learn to know Me more and more, and in that Knowledge you will have all the answers you need here, and when you see Me Face to Face, in that purely Spiritual world, you will find no need to ask. There again all your answers will be in Me.

Remember, I was the answer in time to all man's questions about My Father and His Laws. Know no theology. Know Me. I was The Word of God. All you need to know about God you know in Me. If a man knows Me not, all your explanations will fall on an unresponsive heart.

None of you

Established
Radiate Joy. - November 21

Not only must you rejoice, but your Joy must be made manifest. "Known unto all men." A candle must not be set under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that it may give light to all who are in the house.

Men must see and know your Joy, and seeing it, know, without any doubt, that it springs from trust in Me, from living with Me.

The hard dull way of resignation is not My Way. When I entered Jerusalem, knowing well that scorn and reviling and death awaited Me, it was with cries of Hosanna, and with a triumphal procession. Not just a few "Lost Cause" followers creeping with Me into the City. There was no note of sadness in My Last Supper Talk with My disciples, and "when we had sung a psalm" we went out unto the Mount of Olives.

So trust, so conquer, so joy. Love colours The Way. Love takes the sting out of the wind of adversity.

Love. Love. Love of Me. The consciousness of My Presence, and that of My Father. We are one, and He - God - is Love.

None of you

Established
Only Love Lasts. - November 22

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. - 1 Cor. 13:1.

See that only Love tells. Only what is done in Love lasts, for God is Love, and only the work of God remains.

The fame of the world, the applause given to the one who speaks with the tongues of men and of angels who attracts admiration and compels attention, it is all given to what is passing, is really worthless, if it lacks that God-quality, Love.

Think how a smile, or word of Love, goes winged on its way, a God-Power, simple though it may seem, while the mighty words of an orator can fall fruitless to the ground. The test of all true work and words is - are they inspired by Love?

If man only saw how vain is so much of his activity! So much work done in My Name is not acknowledged by Me. Ask for Love. Turn out from your hearts and lives all that is not loving, so shall ye bear much fruit, and by this shall all men know ye are My disciples, because ye have Love one toward another.

None of you

Established
Earth's Furies. - November 23

In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. - John 16:33.

Then you may ask why have you, My children, to have tribulation if I have overcome the world.

My overcoming was never, you know, for Myself, but for you, for My children. Each temptation, each difficulty, I overcome as it presented itself.

The powers of evil were strained to their utmost to devise means to break Me. They failed, but how they failed was known only to Me, and to My Father, Who could read My undaunted Spirit. The world, even My own followers, would see a Lost Cause. Reviled, spat upon, scourged, they would deem Me conquered. How could they know My Spirit was free, unbroken, unharmed?

And so, as I had come to show man God, I must show him God unconquered, unharmed, untouched by evil and its power. Mancould not see My Spirit untouched, risen above these Earth furies and hates, into the Secret Place of the Father. But man couldsee My Risen Body, and learn by that, that even the last attempt of man had been powerless to touch Me.

Take heart from that, for you must share My tribulations. If evil is to leave you unchallenged you must be evil. If evil challenges you, if trials press sore, it is because you are on My side, and, as My friends, exposed to the hate of evil.

But be of good cheer. You walk with Me. I conquered evil at every point, though man could only see it proved, beyond all doubt, when I rose from the dead. And in My conquering Power you walk un-harmed to-day.

None of you

Established
Suffer to Save. - November 24

Take each day's happenings as work you can do for Me. In that Spirit a blessing will attend all you do. Offering your day's service thus to Me, you are sharing in My Life-work, and therefore helping Me to save my world.

You may not see it, but the power of vicarious sacrifice is redemptive beyond man's power of understanding here on earth.

None of you

Established
The Heavenly Beggar. - November 25

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. - Rev. 3:20.

Oh, ponder again these words and learn from them My great humility.

There is that gracious invitation, too, for those who yearn to realize a joy, a rest, a satisfaction they have never found in the world and its pursuits. To them the pleading answer to their quest is "Come to Me and I will give you rest."

But to those who do not feel their need of Me, who obstinately reject Me, who shut the doors of their hearts so that I may not enter, to those I go, in tender, humble longing. Even when I find all closed, all barred, I stand a Beggar, knocking, knocking, The Heavenly Beggar in His Great Humility.

Never think of those who have shut you out, or forgotten you, that now they must wait, you have no need of them. No! remember that, the Heavenly Beggar, and learn of Me, humility.

Learn too the value of each man's happiness, and peace and rest, to Me, his God; and learn, and learning, pray to copy, the Divine Unrest until a soul finds rest and peace in Me.

None of you

Established
My Beauty. - November 26

The prophet realized the Truth of My later saying, "He that hath ears to hear; let him hear", which might be rendered "he that hath eyes to see; let him see."

The God who was to be born upon Earth was not to be housed in a body so beautiful that men would follow and adore for the beauty of His Countenance.

No! He was to be as one whom the world would despise, but, to the "seeing" eye, the Spirit that dwelt in that body should be so beautiful as to lack nothing. "Yet when we shall see Him, there is no Beauty that we should desire Him."

Pray for the "seeing" eye, to see the Beauty of My Character, of My Spirit. Nay, more, as faith saw the Beauty of the Godhead in One who had no form or comeliness, so pray to have that faith to see the Beauty of My Love in My dealings with you, in My actions. Till, in what the world will distort into cruelty and harshness (the discipline that is the hallmark of discipleship), you with the eyes of faith, will see ALL that you could desire.

Know Me. Talk to Me. Let Me talk to you, so that I may make clear to your loving hearts what seems mysterious now and purposeless ("having no form nor comeliness.")

None of you

Established
Not Thwarted. - November 27

Not our wills but Thine, O Lord.

Man has so misunderstood Me in this. I want no will laid grudgingly upon My Altar. I want you to desire and love My Will, because therein lies your happiness and Spirit-rest.

Whenever you feel that you cannot leave the choice to Me, then pray, not to be able to accept My Will, but to know and loveMe more. With that knowledge, and the Love, will come the certainty that I know best, and that I want only the best for you and yours.

How little those know Me who think I wish to thwart them. How often I am answering their own prayers in the best and quickest way.

None of you

Established
The Way of the Spirit. - November 28

Jesus, we come to Thee with Joy.

The Joy of meeting Me should more and more fill your lives. It will. Your lives must first of all be narrowed down, more and more, into an inner circle life with Me (the three of us), and then, as that friendship becomes more and more engrossing, more and more binding, then, gradually, the circle of your interests will widen.

For the present do not think of it as a narrow life. I have My Purpose, My Loving Purpose, in cutting you away from other work and interests, for the time.

To work from large interests and a desire for great activities and world movements, to the inner circle life with Me, is really the wrong way. That is why so often, when, through all these activities and interests, a soul finds Me, I have to begin our Friendship by cutting away the ties that bind it to the outer and wider circle. When it has gained strength, and learned its lesson in the inner circle, it can then widen its life, working this time from within out, taking then to each contact, each friendship, the inner circle influence.

And this is to be your way of life.

This is The Way of the Spirit. Man so often misunderstands this.

None of you

Established
When Two Agree. - November 29

If two of you shall agree.

I am the Truth. Every word of Mine is true. Every promise of Mine shall be fulfilled.

First, "gathered together in My Name", bound by a common loyalty to Me, desirous only of doing My Will.

Then, when this is so, I am present too, a self-invited guest, and when I am there and one with you, voicing the same petition, making your demands Mine, then it follows the request is granted.

But what man has failed perhaps to realize is all that lies behind the words. For two to agree about the wisdom of a request, to be certain it should be granted, and will be granted (if it is My Will and should be granted), is not the same as two agreeing to pray that request.

None of you

Established
From Self to God. - November 30

The Eternal God is thy refuge. - Deut. 33:27.

A Place to flee to, a sanctuary. An escape from misunderstanding, from your 'Self'. You can get away from others into the quiet of your own Being, but from yourself, from the sense of your failure, your weakness, your sins and shortcomings, whither can you flee?

To the Eternal God your refuge. Till in His Immensity you forget your smallness, meanness, limitations.

Till the relief of safety merges into Joy of appreciation of your refuge, and you absorb the Divine, and absorbing, gain strength to conquer.

None of you

Established
Responsibility. - December 1

I am beside you. A very human Jesus, who understands all your weaknesses, and sees too your struggles and conquests.

Remember, I was the Companion of the Weak. Ready to supply their hunger. Teaching My followers their responsibility towards all, not only those near and dear to them, but to the multitude.

"Lord, send them away that they may go into the villages and buy themselves victuals," said My disciples, with no sympathy for the fainting, exhausted men, women and children.

But I taught that Divine Sympathy includes responsibility. "Give ye them to eat," was My reply. I taught that pity, without aremedy for the evil, or the need, is worthless.

"Give ye them to eat." Wherever your sympathy goes, you must go too if possible. Remember that in thinking of your ownneeds. Claim from Me the same attitude now.

The servant is not above his Master, certainly not in Spiritual attainments, and what I taught My disciples, I do.

So fainting and needy, by the lakeside of life, know that I will supply your need, not grudgingly, but in full measure.

None of you

Established
The Ideal Man. - December 2

Draw nigh, shoes off thy feet, in silent awe and adoration. Draw nigh, as Moses drew near to the Burning Bush.

I give you the loving intimacy of a friend, but I am God too, and the wonder of our intercourse, the miracle of your intimacy with Me, will mean the more to you, if sometimes you see the Majestic Figure of the Son of God.

Draw nigh in the utter confidence that is the sublimest prayer. Draw nigh. No far-off pleading, even to a God clothed with majesty of fire.

Draw nigh. Draw nigh, not as a suppliant, but as a listener. I am the Suppliant, as I make known to you My wishes. For this Majestic God is Brother too, longing so intensely that you should serve your brother-man, and longing, even more intensely, that you should be true to that Vision He has of you.

You speak of your fellow-man as disappointing you, as falling short of the ideal you had of him. But what of Me? For every man, there is the ideal man I see in him. The man he could be, the man I would have him be.

Judge of My Heart when he fails to fulfill that promise. The disappointments of man may be great and many, they are nothing as compared with My disappointments. Remember this, and strive to be the friend I see in My vision of you.

None of you

Established
A Journey with Me. - December 3

Fret not your souls with puzzles that you cannot solve. The solution may never be shown you until you have left this flesh-life.

Remember what I have so often told you, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now." Only step by step, and stage by stage, can you proceed, in your journey upward.

The one thing to make sure of is, that it is a journey with Me. There does come a Joy known to those who suffer with Me. But that is not the result of the suffering, but the result of the close intimacy with Me, to which suffering drove you.

None of you

Established
Man of Sorrows. - December 4

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from Him; He was despised, and we esteemed Him not. - Isa. 53:3.

That these words strike a note of Beauty in the hearts of those attuned to hear the Beautiful, shows truly that the heart recognizes the need for the Man of Sorrows. That it sees nothing contemptible in One despised by the world. That it recognizes the vast difference between the values of Heaven, and those of the world. Fame and acclamations are accorded to Earth's great, contempt and rejection to the Son of God.

One of the things My disciples must ever seek to do, is to set aside the valuation of the world, and judge only according to the values of Heaven. Do not seek the praise and the notice of men. These are not for you. You follow a despised Christ. See the mob is hooting, throwing stones, jeering, and yet in that quiet little throng there is a happiness and Joy the reviling crowds could never know.

Follow that little throng with stones and gibes, and it appears to be of men, mean, ludicrous, contemptible. Be one of the throng, and you feel the Majesty of God in the presence of Him, Who was despised and rejected by men. Wreaths around His Brow, and shouts of applause, would belittle that Majesty.

In your dark hours, when human help fails, keep very close to the Man of Sorrows. Feel My Hand of Love press yours in silent but complete understanding. I, too, was acquainted with grief. No heart can ache without My heart aching too. "He was despised, and we esteemed Him not."

None of you

Established
Law of Supply. - December 5

The first law of giving is of the spirit world. Give to all you meet, or whose lives touch yours, of your prayers, your time, yourselves, your love, your thought. You must practise this giving first.

Then give of this world's goods and money, as you have them given to you. To give money and material things, without having first made the habit daily, hourly, ever increasingly, of giving on the higher plane, is wrong.

Give, give, give all your best to all who need it. Be great givers - great givers. Give as I said My Father in Heaven gives. He Who makes His sun to shine on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Remember, as I have told you before, give according to need, never according to desert. In giving, with the thought of supplying a real need you most closely resemble that Father in Heaven, the Great Giver.

As you receive, you must supply the needs of those I bring to you. Not questioning, not limiting. Their nearness to you, their relationship, must never count. Only their need is to guide you. Pray to become great givers.

None of you

Established
Expect Temptation. - December 6

Lord, give us Power to conquer temptation as Thou didst in the wilderness.

The very first step towards conquering temptation is to see it as temptation. To dissociate yourself from it.

Not to think of it as a something resulting from your tiredness, or illness, or poverty, or nerve-strain, when you feel you might well excuse yourself for yielding, but first to realize very fully that when you have heard My voice ("the Heavens opened," as it were) and are going to fulfill your mission to work for Me and to draw souls to Me, there is no excuse for yielding, you must expect a mighty onslaught from the evil one, who will endeavor with all his might to frustrate you, and prevent your good work. Expect that.

Then when these little temptations, or big ones, come, you will recognize them as planned by evil to thwart Me. Then for very love of Me you will conquer.