Goals/Time Management/Optimal Living

Bent8484

Established
What about reading in bed with a cuppa tea or coffee and watching the rain fall?:p:)
Thanks for your contribution and welcome to this thread!
I have a dedicated reading space for that...sitting, though, not laying down. Otherwise I just pass out again.

morita

Veteran
Getting rid of toxic people will definitely improve your quality of life in no time and will leave you headspace to focus on more important things than drama, gossip and negativity.

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
Getting rid of toxic people will definitely improve your quality of life in no time.

Yup, I cross the street to avoid some people..:)
“Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for ‘tis better to be alone than in bad company”- George Washington
"If you hang around with losers, you become a loser"- Donald Trump
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Bible: Proverbs 13:20)

Kung Fu

Superstar
Staying active. Even if it's just walking. Find ways where you can be more active and your quality of life will skyrocket. For example, you live in a condo or apartment and you're on the 7th floor. Use the stairs going both up and down.

DesertRose

Superstar
Getting rid of toxic people will definitely improve your quality of life in no time and will leave you more headspace to focus on more important things than drama, gossip and negativity.
Absolutely agree, one must manage their environment offline and online .
Yup, I cross the street to avoid some people
Yup that is a strategy another one is keeping it at hi and bye.
Staying active. Even if it's just walking. Find ways where you can be more active and your quality of life will skyrocket. For example, you live in a condo or apartment and you're on the 7th floor. Use the stairs going both up and down.
Agreed! it was a difficult habit to start but now the daily walk is enjoyable!

The Joy of Movement by Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D. (#400)

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
Towards the end of the day you are aware if you appeared that day with the best version of yourself which is +1 stepping forward into growth or -1 which is negative steps.
Making that choice moment to moment towards growth is living with excellence.
+1 or -1 (which way are you headed?! :)

It's never disappointing to listen to the (now late) Sir Ken Robinson. Always an inspiration and one to challenge one's perspective of the world. Such a poignant statement when he says, "Nobody has ever lived your life, and nobody else ever will. You're a unique moment in the whole of human history". So true!

DesertRose

Superstar
The BUTTERFLY Effect - Will Change your LIFE
caption under video:
The sensitive dependency on initial conditions in which a small change at one place can result in large differences in a later state.

Maes17

Superstar
The BUTTERFLY Effect - Will Change your LIFE
caption under video:
The sensitive dependency on initial conditions in which a small change at one place can result in large differences in a later state.
Gonna have to give this a watch.

So I’m off for two weeks. Using this as a time for a much needed relax from working so much.

Finally able to put together a home gym, enjoy my youngsters.

Sounds kinda stupid but the wife and I dressed up last night and had a little candle lit dinner. We were supposed to go out back in march but covid hit. And given our busy work schedules, we finally decided to just have a night in.

But this thread made me appreciate time and goals as I have a chance to reflect with time off

Identify

Rookie
Thank you DesertRose for this collection of videos! Knowledge is power! Will make time to watch most of your links.

I would just like to add (afther reading you are sceptical about the subject) you could benefit from investigating 'the law of attraction/manifestation'. Imo it is an alternative explanation for mental comitment and habit formation. When you believe something will manifest, you will do anything in your power to make it happen. All of your subcounsious actions will be directed towards that objective. This is quite similar to habit formation where you reprogram your subcounsious mind trough repetition.

I would also like to suggest the book '177 mental toughness secrets of the world class' by Steve Siebold. It is a nice general recap of a lot of the above videos. This way I dont clog up your thread without a contribution ;)

Thanks again!

DesertRose

Superstar
All of your subcounsious actions will be directed towards that objective. This is quite similar to habit formation where you reprogram your subcounsious mind trough repetition.
You are welcome identify and welcome aboard!
I agree directing our subconscious towards an objective is helpful and many times is successful. However, as a believer I am thoroughly aware that "men/women propose and God disposes".
We can try and we succeed often but not always, because the end result ultimately is with the Creator.
This is a good thing otherwise we would never win against the elite.:)
I have certainty, that they have strong objectives but they will not be successful in their outcomes. God willing.
you could benefit from investigating 'the law of attraction/manifestation'.
I perform prudent action and then trust In the Creator. (Trust in God, but tie up your camel)

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
Topic title- Goals/time Management/optimal Living

I'm sure we all agree that the ONLY goal in our lives is to be happy.
So if striving to make money so that we can have a nice house, nice car, nice family and a healthy bank account etc is what floats our boat, that's fine.
But lets not forget we don't have to do that stuff to be happy.
Personally I've always preferred the simple life because i never cared much about having money and possessions, and i never married because i never wanted to be a family man, and as a result I'm perfectly happy..:)

PS- My late father was a workaholic- literally- and sent himself half-nutty with overwork, he said to my mam "That shoe factories my life" and used to drink wine in the evenings to relieve his stresses, and he died of liver cancer in his early sixties.
Incidentally, I didn't have a job when I left school aged 16 and my old man used to hammer on my bedroom door at the crack of dawn yelling "Get out of bed and look for a job you idle bleeder, they're crying out for people at the glue factory", but I thought "Oh stick it" and turned over and went back to sleep..:)

This guy rightly liked the simple life-

Last edited:

Identify

Rookie
I don't agree. Beying happy is not the goal, its a byproduct of the path leading to the goal. You are not supposed to be happy all the time. Without the occational struggle you would not even know the difference between being happy and unhappy.
The way I understand your attitude towards life, you seek pleasure as much as possible. This can be satisfying in the short run but it will leave you unforfilled on the long run. You have a purspose in life (like desertrose said above). If you don't accomplish this purpose your life will not it be lived fully, and you will be the one left with regrets on your death bed.

Tidal

Star
I don't agree. Beying happy is not the goal, its a byproduct of the path leading to the goal. You are not supposed to be happy all the time. Without the occational struggle you would not even know the difference between being happy and unhappy.
The way I understand your attitude towards life, you seek pleasure as much as possible. This can be satisfying in the short run but it will leave you unforfilled on the long run. You have a purspose in life (like desertrose said above). If you don't accomplish this purpose your life will not it be lived fully, and you will be the one left with regrets on your death bed.

I'm a Christian and we take knocks like everybody else, but we know how to roll with the punches on lifes road..:)
The key is not to take our lives on this earth seriously, a saying i like is- "A person without a sense of humour is like a wagon without springs, jolted by every pebble on the road".

Christians know that human life is just a temporary thing, and that we should stay focussed on the life to come-
Paul said- "We look at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal" (2 Cor 4:18)

Jesus spelt out the purpose of human life-
"The work God requires is to believe in the one he has sent" (John 6:28 )

But at the same time God gave us certain gifts to make the world a better place-
Paul said- "We have different gifts..preaching, serving, teaching, encouraging, giving, leading, mercy, do it cheerfully" (Romans 12:6-8)

So like I said before, we should all do whatever floats our boat, but at the same time we need to know how to relax and recharge our spiritual batteries..:)

Cintra

Star
So if striving to make money so that we can have a nice house, nice car, nice family and a healthy bank account etc is what floats our boat, that's fine.
But lets not forget we don't have to do that stuff to be happy.
Personally I've always preferred the simple life because i never cared much about having money and possessions, and i never married because i never wanted to be a family man, and as a result I'm perfectly happy..:)

PS- My late father was a workaholic- literally- and sent himself half-nutty with overwork, he said to my mam "That shoe factories my life" and used to drink wine in the evenings to relieve his stresses, and he died of liver cancer in his early sixties.
Incidentally, I didn't have a job when I left school aged 16 and my old man used to hammer on my bedroom door at the crack of dawn yelling "Get out of bed and look for a job you idle bleeder, they're crying out for people at the glue factory", but I thought "Oh stick it" and turned over and went back to sleep..:)

This guy rightly liked the simple life-

I agree.
Also, nice picture.

Identify

Rookie
I'm a Christian and we take knocks like everybody else, but we know how to roll with the punches on lifes road..:)
The key is not to take our lives on this earth seriously, a saying i like is- "A person without a sense of humour is like a wagon without springs, jolted by every pebble on the road".

Christians know that human life is just a temporary thing, and that we should stay focussed on the life to come-
Paul said- "We look at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal" (2 Cor 4:18)
In that case, my interpretation of your words did not coincide with their true meaning.
I assume you agree, as a Christian, that certain rules can not be crossed when you say 'whatever float your boat'? All I was trying to say is I believe God placed us in this realm, bound by the limits of the 3 dimensions, to experience certain things we need to experience in order to grow. This commes with suffering, and overcoming the suffering will enable us to reach further in our journey.
You are correct when you say we should stay cheerful while going trough life! Because eventually we will see for ourselves how meaningless the struggle truly was
I am not an addept of any particular faith but I do believe in God, the creator, the source of all that is. May He guide us so that we can accomplish whatever it is we need to do!

Tidal

Star
I am not an addept of any particular faith but I do believe in God, the creator, the source of all that is. May He guide us so that we can accomplish whatever it is we need to do!....
All I was trying to say is I believe God placed us in this realm, bound by the limits of the 3 dimensions, to experience certain things we need to experience in order to grow. This commes with suffering, and overcoming the suffering will enable us to reach further in our journey.

The spirit of God fills the entire universe-
"Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?" declares the Lord . "Do not I fill heaven and earth?" (Jeremiah 23:24)
and we can "tap into" that spirit and get power from it by "mindmelding" with Jesus to get him and God inside our heads..
Jesus said- "On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)

I agree that nobody is immune to suffering, but Christians can handle it better because Jesus helps us get through the Life Assault Course-..:)

"All creation groans in pain from the beginning til now" (Rom 8:22)

And it sorts the men from the boys:-
"We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God" (Acts 14:22)

Jesus welcomes anybody into his squad:-
"Whoever comes to me I'll never turn away" (John 6:37)

And he'll lead by example:-
"To follow me you must carry your own cross daily" (Luke 9:23)

The C.O. shows no favouritism:-
"God didn't spare his own son" (Rom 8:32)

So if he can hack it so can we:-
"We share in Jesus's sufferings in order to share in his glory" (Rom 8:17)

And others have stayed the course too:-
"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith" (2 Tim 4:7)

Then we pass with honours..
"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life.." (James 1:12)

But for those who want a soft, easy painless religion, Christianity's not for them -
"They prefer teachers who only tell them what they want to hear" (2 Tim 4:3)

How about it sergeant?

"TAKE THE PAIN!"