Getting divorced as a Christian

Carrieh76

Rookie
My now separated partner wouldn’t stop doing meth, he was violent, manipulative and couldn’t keep a job. I’m leaving him for good about to file the papers. Is this a sin? I know it’s till death do us part but us not parting could have been my death from a stoke. I just don’t think I could have ever really thought of him different than a manipulative meth user.

Maes17

Superstar
No and it’s wise you got out. Do not feel guilty or ashamed. Seeking help is ultimately up to him. You can put him in position to receive proper care/support. But you need to stay safe

8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

Lyfe

Star
If you are truly worried about it from a Godly perspective and how it puts you in standing with the lord you should probably seek a pastor that specializes in marriage counseling. Seek out a few and have them go over the scriptures and then pray about it.

Reactions: Zee

Cintra

Star
My now separated partner wouldn’t stop doing meth, he was violent, manipulative and couldn’t keep a job. I’m leaving him for good about to file the papers. Is this a sin? I know it’s till death do us part but us not parting could have been my death from a stoke. I just don’t think I could have ever really thought of him different than a manipulative meth user.
He is having an adulterous relationship with meth.

Not a sin.

Cintra

Star
Why shouldn't they?
Some people believe that.

Some people feel that the vows they made when they married were important, and should be kept.

My opinion is that a spouse who is violent and abusive has already broken and nullified the vows.
But on the whole I think that people shouldn't make those vows unless they intend to keep them.

Sunshine

Established
Why shouldn't they?

Some people feel that the vows they made when they married were important, and should be kept.

My opinion is that a spouse who is violent and abusive has already broken and nullified the vows.
But on the whole I think that people shouldn't make those vows unless they intend to keep them.
I agree. If a man casts aside his vow to be a good husband, it is he who has broken the marriage. Carrieh76, don't feel bad about taking yourself out of the situation. You deserve to feel safe and appreciated and loved.

Aside from that, methheads can get themselves into any number of legal and financial jams. It is best that you have, with the divorce, separated yourself from him in the eyes of the law, so that his misdeeds don't end up affecting you and your future.

Carrieh76

Rookie
I agree. If a man casts aside his vow to be a good husband, it is he who has broken the marriage. Carrieh76, don't feel bad about taking yourself out of the situation. You deserve to feel safe and appreciated and loved.

Aside from that, methheads can get themselves into any number of legal and financial jams. It is best that you have, with the divorce, separated yourself from him in the eyes of the law, so that his misdeeds don't end up affecting you and your future.
Thank you I appreciate this and yes he has been in trouble with the law because of it.

Carrieh76

Rookie
Why shouldn't they?

Thanks I’m ultimately feeling that you are right and I do think he’s cheated on me before too.

Maes17

Superstar
Why shouldn't they?

I feel the same way.
It’s my instinct, reaction that if it’s toxic or abusive. I’m kicking it to the curb.

As a spouse put him in position to succeed. Rehabilitation, etc.
But that’s ultimately up to him if he wants to get clean.

Kung Fu

Superstar
Your husband is the head of the household and you're supposed to keep quiet. If he doesn't want a divorce you can't have one unless you don't believe in the Bible anymore?

elsbet

Superstar
Glad to hear you're separated. First things first, and safety-- namely yours-- comes first. Separating your money should be next, if you haven't done that, already. Create a new account, preferably at a different bank, to which he has no access. :) I imagine you've already done this, though.

It's good to cut off all communication, as well.

You didn't give us any info on your history with this person, though. Would you even want to get back together with him, if the circumstances were different, and he was sober?

Hon33

Veteran
Im not an expert, but I would have a look at 1 Corinthians 7:15. By his repeated actions, your husband has chosen to become separated from you - at least that is my interpretation of it. He is not fulfilling the role of a loving, dutiful husband as God expects him to, nor is he fulfilling the vows he made to you.
You absolutely must put your safety first in this situation, as well as that of any children that might be involved.

ishigo

Established
Leave and don't look back, especially if he was violent. Safety should always come first.

AlcyoneSong

Established
Why are you even asking this here? Seriously, you know the answer. Are you seeking validation from strangers because to talk to your attorney and doctor is too much?!?!?? Go to bible hub and look up the reasons for divorce and measure your marriage against them. Don’t be codependent and enabling when your spouse is clearly not wanting to change and is a threat to you. Also you may want to consider getting a restraining order.