George Floyd/Protests/Peace/Riots/Chaos

elsbet

Superstar
A Yale diploma can take you places and give you an advantage. The question here is: are black Yale alumni prepared for those changes? Is the powerful Skull & Bones society ready to acquiese to the demands aswell?
You make a good point, here, Karlysymon. I'm going to guess their answer would be a resounding No... we don't want to cancel Yale!

Woke up this morning, still quite angry about the fact the governor legalized explosive, airborne (rocket) fireworks for residents of the state. I have no problem with people firing them off on their own property, as long as only their own house will burn down, if they screw it up. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM when they are firing them off in my community (condos!) putting all buildings in their path at risk-- nevermind the noise, scaring the sh*t out of everyone's pets, and disturbing all the residents, who are now powerless to do a thing about it. To boot, they were likely trespassing-- we have a waterfront that appeals, apparently. Sucks for you! Bahaha!
The Governor's logic?
They're doing it anyway... may as well make it legal!
Really. Can we do the same for Heroin? How about Xanax... can we put it next to the Tic-Tacs in the candy aisle?

How about spousal abuse? I mean.. people are doing it anyway! The point: Satisfying the desires of a minority, to the detriment of others legal right to safety and peace in their homes, is wrong.
-.-
It brought to mind the famous statement from Lincoln (supposedly) ...

My right to swing my fist ends, where the other man's nose begins.

Your comment illustrates this sentiment, perfectly.

Certainly, Yale has cranked out some wretched individuals, giving them the power and license to do great damage, while enjoying great benefit to themselves. This isn't limited to politicians, either. That isn't to say all are wretches-- but the school's reach is long, extending from finance to the drama department.

Should all Yale students and alumni be penalized for the foundation on which the school is built because it is upsetting a minority? Who knows-- maybe they should, all things considered-- :D ... but in theory, no... probably not. The ethos that says it should, however, is becoming all too pervasive-- it is (imo) dangerous, and should not be permitted to gain a foothold-- not even in principle.

elsbet

Superstar
Is there a doctor in the house?
As I mentioned before in VC, I had a touch of Cov-19 some 6 weeks ago and it's cleared up now, but can any medic tell me if I'm now a "carrier" liable to infect people for the rest of my life?
Should I change my screen name to "Doomsday Man" or what?
Wow. Was it tested and confirmed?

elsbet

Superstar
Still kinda dickish
Putting your kid on the proverbial frontline, alone, is kind of low, imo. By the same token, outfitting your kid with any controversial political slogan is in poor taste--> MAGA, all lives matter, etc. would be just as gross.

Tidal

Star
Tidal said-
As I mentioned before in VC, I had a touch of Cov-19 some 6 weeks ago and it's cleared up now, but can any medic tell me if I'm now a "carrier" liable to infect people for the rest of my life?
Should I change my screen name to "Doomsday Man" or what?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow. Was it tested and confirmed?
Nah, I wasn't gasping for breath or anything so I just stayed home and rode it out til the symptoms went away- :cool:
I couldn't have gone out anyway because my red Dracula-eyes would have terrified people-

In fact I think the Count may have had it too, look-

rainerann

Star

We handle almost 20% of the entire public safety call volume for our area," said Tim Black, Eugene's CAHOOTS program manager. "But there was such a dramatic need coming in through the 911 and non-emergency lines that there was a need for there to be this kind of behavioral health first response."

CAHOTOS team members are trained to de-escalate when responding to a mental health crisis. A recent study found 25 to 50% of fatal officer-involved shootings involved someone with a severe mental illness.

"They don't need jail. What they need is they need to be able to be de-escalated from their crisis, they need a ride to a mental-health facility or to a medical-care facility or wrapped around with services. That's what the people need. They don't need to be going to jail every time," said Eugene Police Chief Chris Skinner.

It's a new way to protect and serve — and maybe save a life.”

BLM activists dancing in the middle of a highway in Seattle:

Then this happens:

One of the two victims, who identifies as non-binary, died:

NPR reported it:

1 Killed, 1 Injured After Driver Strikes Protesters In Seattle
24-year-old Summer Taylor died Saturday evening at Harborview Medical Center, according hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg. Diaz Love, 32, remains in serious condition.
The Washington State Patrol said Saturday that the driver of the white Jaguar sedan, a 27-year-old man, is in custody. At this point, officers have not offered a motive, though Capt. Ron Mead said officers believe the suspect was not impaired.

Doesn't mention the driver's profile. Mentions something else though:

Since nationwide protests erupted in late May, there have been reports of at least 50 vehicle-ramming incidents — many of which were suspected attacks by right-wing extremists targeting Black Lives Matter protesters.
"The message they're trying to send is, 'You need to get out of the street and stop these protests,' " Ari Weil, the terrorism researcher at the University of Chicago who compiled those statistics, told NPR last month. "They're trying to intimidate the most recent wave of BLM protesters, to stop their movement."

The driver:

elsbet

Superstar
BLM activists dancing in the middle of a highway in Seattle:

Then this happens:

One of the two victims, who identifies as non-binary, died:

NPR reported it:

1 Killed, 1 Injured After Driver Strikes Protesters In Seattle
24-year-old Summer Taylor died Saturday evening at Harborview Medical Center, according hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg. Diaz Love, 32, remains in serious condition.
The Washington State Patrol said Saturday that the driver of the white Jaguar sedan, a 27-year-old man, is in custody. At this point, officers have not offered a motive, though Capt. Ron Mead said officers believe the suspect was not impaired.

Doesn't mention the driver's profile. Mentions something else though:

Since nationwide protests erupted in late May, there have been reports of at least 50 vehicle-ramming incidents — many of which were suspected attacks by right-wing extremists targeting Black Lives Matter protesters.
"The message they're trying to send is, 'You need to get out of the street and stop these protests,' " Ari Weil, the terrorism researcher at the University of Chicago who compiled those statistics, told NPR last month. "They're trying to intimidate the most recent wave of BLM protesters, to stop their movement."

The driver:
Well... they did take care to emphasize his car was White, using the word as a hot link to the story. Damned shame that kid died, though. Was the highway blocked in the middle of the night, or was he driving on the highway, in the manner for which it was created, I wonder.

Anyway--

Noted: a black man (with a cougar card) hit a BLM protester, in an effort to "stop their movement" because he's a "right wing extremist."​

Narrative--> affected.

Well... they did take care to emphasize his car was White, using the word as a hot link to the story. Damned shame that kid died, though. Was the highway blocked in the middle of the night, or was he driving on the highway, in the manner for which it was created, I wonder.

Anyway--

Noted: a black man (with a cougar card) hit a BLM protester, in an effort to "stop their movement" because he's a "right wing extremist."​

Narrative--> affected.
Good point. It were white victims protesting for Black Lives Matter, but it was a black offender.

Conundrum: how do we make sure "white" comes out bad here, and "black" does not?

Solution: let's not mention the colour of the driver, but let's mention the colour of the car.

elsbet

Superstar
Good point. It were white victims protesting for Black Lives Matter, but it was a black offender.

Conundrum: how do we make sure "white" comes out bad here, and "black" does not?

Solution: let's not mention the colour of the driver, but let's mention the colour of the car.
Right?

Glad you caught it before it was swept under the rug / deleted.

rainerann

Star
For whatever reason, I have been seeing a lot of articles about police brutality in Canada lately. It was interesting to see the same things being done in Canada because in the us, there is a blurred sort of misplaced patriotism creating this obligation to praise the police as though they were the reason for any of the freedoms that we have. I don’t know when it became this way, but if you look at it. Most issues that exist globally have something to do with an abuse of power by law enforcement.

they are basically the problem everywhere you go. If you were to say that India suffered with fewer freedoms, this would be perpetuated by what laws are being Enforced by the police in this area.

it is the same everywhere. China suffers with oppression because police enforce laws that limit freedom.

law enforcement are more of a problem in society than a solution. We would be better off limiting their scope of power.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Woke up this morning, still quite angry about the fact the governor legalized explosive, airborne (rocket) fireworks for residents of the state. I have no problem with people firing them off on their own property, as long as only their own house will burn down, if they screw it up. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM when they are firing them off in my community (condos!) putting all buildings in their path at risk-- nevermind the noise, scaring the sh*t out of everyone's pets, and disturbing all the residents, who are now powerless to do a thing about it. To boot, they were likely trespassing-- we have a waterfront that appeals, apparently. Sucks for you! Bahaha!
The Governor's logic?
They're doing it anyway... may as well make it legal!
Really. Can we do the same for Heroin? How about Xanax... can we put it next to the Tic-Tacs in the candy aisle?

How about spousal abuse? I mean.. people are doing it anyway! The point: Satisfying the desires of a minority, to the detriment of others legal right to safety and peace in their homes, is wrong.
-.-
It brought to mind the famous statement from Lincoln (supposedly) ...

My right to swing my fist ends, where the other man's nose begins.

Your comment illustrates this sentiment, perfectly.

Certainly, Yale has cranked out some wretched individuals, giving them the power and license to do great damage, while enjoying great benefit to themselves. This isn't limited to politicians, either. That isn't to say all are wretches-- but the school's reach is long, extending from finance to the drama department.

Should all Yale students and alumni be penalized for the foundation on which the school is built because it is upsetting a minority? Who knows-- maybe they should, all things considered-- :D ... but in theory, no... probably not. The ethos that says it should, however, is becoming all too pervasive-- it is (imo) dangerous, and should not be permitted to gain a foothold-- not even in principle.
I was watching an interview of a Scottish professor (of Jamaican ethnicity) who was saying that those who want to take the statues down should remain consistent and go all the way. Inotherwords, if Yale’s statue goes, so should the institution itself, rather than just changing the name. His position was that the statues (the ones in Britain) should remain as evidence of their crimes. To him, out of sight is out of mind.

I was also thinking about the Columbus statues. The people tearing them down should aswell demand that Thanksgiving holiday be abolished. It is inconsistent for one to pull it down, all the while looking forward to the holiday and making plans for it.

Lisa

Superstar
I was watching an interview of a Scottish professor (of Jamaican ethnicity) who was saying that those who want to take the statues down should remain consistent and go all the way. Inotherwords, if Yale’s statue goes, so should the institution itself, rather than just changing the name. His position was that the statues (the ones in Britain) should remain as evidence of their crimes. To him, out of sight is out of mind.

I was also thinking about the Columbus statues. The people tearing them down should aswell demand that Thanksgiving holiday be abolished. It is inconsistent for one to pull it down, all the while looking forward to the holiday and making plans for it.
You mean stop being hypocrites?

Right?

Glad you caught it before it was swept under the rug / deleted.
narrative intact actually, there are now black racists apparently, (candace owens, hodgetwins) reminiscent of how whites categorized people as "n**** lovers" or race traitors.

Lisa

Superstar
Black lives only seem to matter at certain times..like when a white person is involved..:rolleyes:

NYPD commissioner slams Bill de Blasio for slashing police budget as gun violence in the city surges 130% and video emerges of a father being shot dead while holding his four-year-old daughter's hand

justjess

Superstar
Black lives only seem to matter at certain times..like when a white person is involved..:rolleyes:

NYPD commissioner slams Bill de Blasio for slashing police budget as gun violence in the city surges 130% and video emerges of a father being shot dead while holding his four-year-old daughter's hand
Budget cuts have not gone into effect yet and have no bearing on the current crime rate. Evictions resuming, uNemployment ending and a screwed up economy plus hot weather - there you have it.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Budget cuts have not gone into effect yet and have no bearing on the current crime rate. Evictions resining, uNemployment ending and a screwed up economy plus hot weather - there you have it.
Where’s the rioting for that black father though?