George Floyd/Protests/Peace/Riots/Chaos

justjess

Superstar
Breonna Taylor - they had the wrong house. Came in guns blazing. Killed her while she slept.

Tamir Rice was a little boy playing in the park with a toy gun wearing headphones. They shot within seconds of pulling up and didn’t even give him a chance.

you can’t spin those things away. They aren’t acceptable. Human error is human error but when your talking about life and death it can’t just be shrug “shit happens” - if you made a human error while driving and someone died you’d face penalties.

Lisa

Superstar
Breonna Taylor - they had the wrong house. Came in guns blazing. Killed her while she slept.

Tamir Rice was a little boy playing in the park with a toy gun wearing headphones. They shot within seconds of pulling up and didn’t even give him a chance.

you can’t spin those things away. They aren’t acceptable. Human error is human error but when your talking about life and death it can’t just be shrug “shit happens” - if you made a human error while driving and someone died you’d face penalties.
Sure...I would face penalties..and I’m sure the cops did too. Their mistakes though can be life or death ones..that is the nature of their profession. But how do these compute with Floyd’s death..he was doing something wrong.

justjess

Superstar
Sure...I would face penalties..and I’m sure the cops did too. Their mistakes though can be life or death ones..that is the nature of their profession. But how do these compute with Floyd’s death..he was doing something wrong.
They did not face penalties. That’s the point.

Floyd - a misdeamenor does not carry a death sentence. In Minnesota nothing carries a death sentence since they abolished capital punishment.

Lisa

Superstar
The Constitution is law.
Is this what you mean?

Sworn law enforcement officers are those who have taken an oath to support the Constitution of the United States, their state, and the laws of their agency’s jurisdiction. Sworn officers also have the responsibility to ensure the safety and quality of life of the communities they serve. The basic duties and types of sworn law enforcement officers are summarized below.

Lisa

Superstar
They did not face penalties. That’s the point.

Floyd - a misdeamenor does not carry a death sentence. In Minnesota nothing carries a death sentence since they abolished capital punishment.
Wow...can’t you get over that..no one thinks he deserved the death penalty for what he did. I think that had he surrendered peacefully he would still be alive..also if he would have paid with real money the police wouldn’t have been called. And that store is no longer going to call the police if they get fake money..so haha..they’ll probably get even more of it and have to eat it at the bank.

I can’t argue those other cases..I simply don’t know much about them.

justjess

Superstar
Wow...can’t you get over that..no one thinks he deserved the death penalty for what he did. I think that had he surrendered peacefully he would still be alive..also if he would have paid with real money the police wouldn’t have been called. And that store is no longer going to call the police if they get fake money..so haha..they’ll probably get even more of it and have to eat it at the bank.

I can’t argue those other cases..I simply don’t know much about them.
You asked how they compute. I answered you.

"the use of deadly force" and "the force resulting in death" are different.

The severity of the crime at issue,
Whether the suspect poses an immediate threat to the safety of the officers or others, and;
Whether he is actively resisting arrest or attempting to evade arrest by flight.

The "reasonableness" of a particular use of force must be judged from the perspective of the reasonable officer on the scene, rather than with the 20/20 vision of hindsight.

The calculus of reasonableness must embody allowance for the fact that police officers are often forced to make split-second judgments - in circumstances that are tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving - about the amount of force that is necessary in a particular situation.”

Authorized use of force requires careful attention to the facts and circumstances of each case.
"in circumstances that are tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving”, the police should have more rights than criminals. When the rights are in favor of criminals and the police are afraid to act, this is more dangerous for social peace. (Tamir Rice) They can't waste their time thinking about the possibility that the gun is a toy. That's what needs to be done at that moment. Every second they stop increases the threat to those around and themselves. In a country with high crime rates and gun ownership, if the police stop during each event and think about what will happen if they do, this causes more death and uncontrollable crime.

Lisa

Superstar
You asked how they compute. I answered you.
I’ll have to get back to you on this...I think I saw something about both those people and the Floyd case..I’ll look for it either tonight or tomorrow.

Aero

Superstar

"in circumstances that are tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving”, the police should have more rights than criminals. When the rights are in favor of criminals and the police are afraid to act, this is more dangerous for social peace. (Tamir Rice) They can't waste their time thinking about the possibility that the gun is a toy. That's what needs to be done at that moment. Every second they stop increases the threat to those around and themselves. In a country with high crime rates and gun ownership, if the police stop during each event and think about what will happen if they do, this causes more death and uncontrollable crime.
Anyone can call 911 and claim someone has a gun. That doesn't mean the cops should automatically go in guns blazing.

Basically you have it backwards. Cops should definitely take a second to think maybe the threat is only in their heads.

justjess

Superstar

He was a little kid playing in the park like millions of little boys before him and since. There was no threat to anyone. If cops are generally coward punks that need to shoot first ask questions later we definately have a problem.

Because they murdered innocent people with no justification. If that’s really a question you need to ask then there’s no reason for us to discuss anything further again.
I was asking with regards to Tamir Rice. Do you think they should have been penalised?

Stop using ‘black-on-black’ crime to deflect away from police brutality
The overwhelming majority of white murder victims each year are killed by white assailants. So, when’s the last time you heard the term “white on white crime?”
their population is 12 percent, but they commit 52 percent of all murders. maybe that's why it is interesting.
“Racial disparities in crime and punishment are real, but they have been produced in large part by a sustained campaign of persecution by whites against disempowered minorities, particularly African Americans...."
"Bureau of Justice Statistics", the same source as the article.
According to the Bureau for Justice Statistics, People living in households with income below the federal poverty threshold are twice as likely to commit a violent crime than people in high-income households, regardless of race.
That’s why police brutality is its own unique horror. And African Americans are two and half times more likely than whites to be killed by law enforcement.
This is the real deflect. How do you expect to encounter less police while your crimes are higher? A person who threatens police and people with his gun, knife, muscles, car, cannot be untouchable because he is poor or minority.
When you step outside every day knowing you’re twice as likely to be killed by someone sworn to protect you just because of the color of your skin, you’re dealing with a different type of fear.
Don't be a trouble and you don't have a problem with the police. It's that simple.

their population is 12 percent, but they commit 52 percent of all murders. maybe that's why it is interesting.

"Bureau of Justice Statistics", the same source as the article.

This is the real deflect. How do you expect to encounter less police while your crimes are higher? A person who threatens police and people with his gun, knife, muscles, car, cannot be untouchable because he is poor or minority.

Don't be a trouble and you don't have a problem with the police. It's that simple.
High crime rate is a poverty issue, not a racial issue. Try again. Either you didn’t read it well enough, or you are intentionally leaving out the portions of the article that are too inconvenient for you to consider.