General thought about tattoos?

I was wondering what people think about them. I used to be alright with people getting them, but unfortunately now so many have them it's become a trend. I once had a Christian friend who said that it's not right for people to get them, didn't agree at the time but more and more it seems people will get them because it's "cool". Was just wondering on how people felt about this topic and if they see if it's wrong or not?

clambot

Veteran
Many do not realize, many do not know their Leviticus, and many even defiantly tattoo themselves precisely because the Lord told the people -- don't do that. As one commentator put it, for two reasons: because it was a practice of the heathens and also simply because it defiles the flesh, which is, after all, a creation of the Lord.

Sadly, I have a relative -- my now adult niece, who instead of pursuing her previous childhood dreams of perfecting her art work (she is very talented at that) and attending a prestigious university to do so, fell in with not-so-ambitious groups of modern heathens, and now dreams of getting rich by tattooing all of her friends. What a maroon.

Ok, Im not all pro-tattoo or anything, and I wouldn't get one nowadays because it seems like everybody has one (or many).

But to be fair Leviticus also tells us how to not cut our hair, and how men should not trim their beards, to not wear clothes of two materials put together, not plant different kinds of seeds together. Most of those things people do. So I guess if i was arguing against tattoos from a Christian perspective I would go with one of the New Testament verses about not defiling your temple, or not being like the world.

Ive just noticed that when people go to Leviticus or Deuteronomy as support for an argument the other person often has a rebuttal regarding things like haircuts and clothes.

clambot

Veteran
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
First Corinthians 3:17

FilthPig

Veteran
I like this fight club quote - "sticking feathers up your arse wont make you into a chicken".
Getting tattoos and piercings seems like sticking colorful feathers up your ass to get more attention while trying to portray yourself to others as something that you aint.I guess one goal is to look either "cool" or "scary" which tells alot about the persons weak inner world (big part of their thinking goes into worrying what others think about them or how they might react to them).
People need attention and approval from others constantly because they are utterly confused about existance-they dont know what they are or why they are.So one way to be sure that they are going in the right direction is by seeking approval from others(do u like this,should i do that etc).These days If u want attention and approval in social media then u gotta parrot the MSM narrative .Having different opinion might result in ban.

Everybody are trying to be unique while trying to appear cool and i guess tattoos and piercings seem like a way for some."Gray mass" is now rather colorful,full of piercings and tattoos put they still remain in my eyes as "flock people" who can only function in groups and lack individuality.Specially when it comes to thinking/level of understanding.
That flock of gray mass of sheeple got their feeding ground that is approved by the rest of the flock and wondering outside of that approved zone is what "conspiracy theorists" do and is a big no-no.
Those who do go and wonder wont get any positive attention or approval yet it seems better choice than to wait with other sheeple for your turn in the meatgrinder.It's a lonesome journey but individuality comes at cost and luckily there are other wondering sheeple around who are aware of the meatgrinder and are trying to get away from it.

Karlysymon

Superstar
It seems to me that majority of the responses are approaching this topic through todays cultural lens, notably from the 60s (counter culture) and onwards.
Certainly, people in antiquity got tattoos not for the same reasons that a 25yr old in 2020 will get one so i think we should keep that in perspective and since the Pacific Island nations tend to have the more elaborate ones, i thought this link will suffice.
1658947549678.png

clambot

Veteran
In my part of the woods, tattoos are an indication of either

(1) jail time and / or criminal tendencies;
(2) a naval veteran / civilian "old salt";
(3) a "one-percent" biker;
(4) a circus attraction; or
(5) a "wanna be" of any of the aforementioned groups.

All of which I have personally met. I have never met a tattooed person of maturity who was proud of their "ink", including the one old grizzled WWII Navy veteran who has now long passed along with his traditional markings of large anchors on his forearms and "MOM" across his chest above Old Glory. I'm sure he also had the traditionals from crossing the Equator etc. but in his old age, he was not proud of them. He regretted every one of them.

Are they part of *your* culture? Are you a Samoan or one of those Papua New Guinea tribalists with your facial tattoos? More power to you.

Otherwise, get off my lawn with your faux apologetics.

Very interesting inputs on this! Thanks so much for your responses!!
The one thing that stood out to me is people wanting to get them to be "cool" and "scary" . Seems to be the narrative. It seems many people have them, now

I think it's funny when someone has a silly looking tattoo and they get all serious about why they got it and they go into a deep explanation, it's like...chill out it looks awful stop showing people! No tattoos, none for me. Ick!
Lol yep! I agree with you 100% alot claim these tattoos have deep meanings. Maybe the ones that get a tattoo of their deceased pet may have more of a value, but there are other ways to honour that pet. So many people get these horrible ones of skulls with horns and dragons, lots of the occult and satanic stuff. Then they say it has meaning lol!! There will even be people who are nice that will have these horrible inks on them!!