From a solitary candle to the brightness of the Son - leaving Mysticism

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Another interesting story of the journey of someone who held to a "New Age" belief system and identified as a "Truther" to finally understanding the gospel and putting her faith in Jesus.

Allegra

Veteran

Dalit

Star
When I doubt about the will of God, open your Bible and start reading, and think Biblically. Good advice @Dalit
I thought this was a great video/audio teaching and it convicted me of how I had been so influenced and programmed by "spirit of the age" more so than the Word of God. Even very recently I fell prey to this! Romans 12:2 really is a life verse to know and understand. And this teaching was sent to me by someone God helped me rescue from NAR. :)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I thought this was a great video/audio teaching and it convicted me of how I had been so influenced and programmed by "spirit of the age" more so than the Word of God. Even very recently I fell prey to this! Romans 12:2 really is a life verse to know and understand. And this teaching was sent to me by someone God helped me rescue from NAR. :)
At the risk of being controversial, I was pondering what Vodie said and one thing hit me. As believers indwelt with the Holy Spirit we are capable of receiving Gods guidance in the same way the early believers were in the book of Acts. I am not an experience follower, but I have known clear guidance on things that Vodie would have had an issue with. Will ponder....

Dalit

Star
At the risk of being controversial, I was pondering what Vodie said and one thing hit me. As believers indwelt with the Holy Spirit we are capable of receiving Gods guidance in the same way the early believers were in the book of Acts. I am not an experience follower, but I have known clear guidance on things that Vodie would have had an issue with. Will ponder....
I can understand where you're coming from, yet "the spirit of this age" and "the spirit of the world" is so strong that I'm with him on erring on the side of caution.

A recent example is that I saw a number that had significance to me when I was in NAR coming back up again a lot, so much so that I did start that errant, dangerous thought "It must be a sign!" Cue some woo woo Twilight Zone music. I was seeing it everywhere! At work, at the store, in a gym class with the number of reps we did, etc. Truth is that it was not a sign, but I was assigning artificial significance to a number. At least it wasn't 11 and multiples of 11, but it may well have been with the attention I was giving it.

I think we have to think about what motivates us and draws us to supposed signs. We have all we need in Scripture really, but yet, if you're like me, you may be drawn to go out of bounds which for me has led to heartache and despair. I'm not saying you're like me, but I would just err on the side of caution. Not look for numbers or Marshalls. :)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I can understand where you're coming from, yet "the spirit of this age" and "the spirit of the world" is so strong that I'm with him on erring on the side of caution.

A recent example is that I saw a number that had significance to me when I was in NAR coming back up again a lot, so much so that I did start that errant, dangerous thought "It must be a sign!" Cue some woo woo Twilight Zone music. I was seeing it everywhere! At work, at the store, in a gym class with the number of reps we did, etc. Truth is that it was not a sign, but I was assigning artificial significance to a number. At least it wasn't 11 and multiples of 11, but it may well have been with the attention I was giving it.

I think we have to think about what motivates us and draws us to supposed signs. We have all we need in Scripture really, but yet, if you're like me, you may be drawn to go out of bounds which for me has led to heartache and despair. I'm not saying you're like me, but I would just err on the side of caution. Not look for numbers or Marshalls. :)
I definitely understand where you are coming from. I think many people don’t have enough of the Word in them to know if the Word and the Spirit are in agreement, so they can be drawn into divination and @Christian tea leaf reading” very easily!

And then there is also confirmation bias...

https://www.vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/confirmation-bias-and-faith.1405/

I think that learning to hear from God is partly learning to stop offering suggestions of our own that He might say! The “still, small voice” is still speaking when we learn to wait and shut up!!!

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Ryan Ries of the “Whosoevers” talks with Steven Bancarz on a number of topics including how an interest in aliens drew him into the New Age:-