Fellow gardeners- please tell us what you are growing in your garden

JoChris

Superstar
This is in response to Polymoog's entry in random thoughts section:
avocados need full sun. if they get part shade, they wont bear as good as they should. i still keep the younger ones in part shade until theyre about 3 feet tall (they grow fast, as you know).
youll pull your hair out waiting for the jaboticaba. did you get the early bearing variety? otherwise youre waiting for about 16 years. the early bearing gives in 5, i read.
the achacha is in the eugenia family-- great taste, but like a mangosteen, SLOW growing. theyre popular in australia-- check the nursery to see if they have them.
dragonfruit are a pain-- you need a specialized trellis to get them to fruit well. theyre a bit finicky with water, too. the one to get is actually the yellow dragonfruit-- its supposedly far sweeter than the bland red and white varieties (really overrated fruit, if you ask me).
ive got grumichama, but fruit flies will ruin the fruit-- a factor to consider if you are in a fruit fly zone. mine hasnt bore fruit yet, even though im pampering it. the guava is a primary host for fruit flies. i have yet to have one thats 100% clean.
ive got no experience with lychee. diamond river is the cultivar to get from what ive read about it. i think i have the feijoa... its like a guava. not a favorite. the macadamia nut tree is slow bearing. no experience with that tree, either.

hedge plant: you can try cocoplum (slow growing, though, but bears fruit), carissa (also bears a fruit). pride of barbados has a nice flower with thorns. grows fast, drought resistant, and makes a decent hedge if pruned into one. added benefit: nitrogen giver. this will give you a hedge in the shortest time, IMO. ive got a sweet tamarind tree that hasnt fruited yet-- nitrogen giving with small thorns. i suppose that could be trimmed to a hedge on a fence line. ketembilla is a tree that has pretty good fruit. very drought resistant. its got some serious compound spines on it if you want to keep animals out. that could also be trimmed into a hedge, since it has a tendency to sucker. ever see how the english used to do hedges hundreds of years ago? they would bend over the saplings and pin them down. then the trees would sucker and create a thick, dense hedge. same could be done with these trees.

other drought resistant fruiting trees to consider: jujube (indian for hot climates; chinese for cooler), barbados gooseberry (low growing plant; fruits), bael fruit (have one- no fruit yet), tamarind (nitrogen giver; bees love the flowers), marula (south african tree, very drought resistant, long lived, slow growing, lots of uses for the fruit).
If I had an acre+ I definitely would have liked all the trees you have suggested. Any reader in a tropical/ subtropical should try your suggestions for sure - are you professionally involved in gardening? If not it sounds like you should be!

We have lived at this home for nearly 7 years. The garden up the back was an absolute dump so we had to clear it out, pull out vines, old trees stumps and have kept the two bottlebrush trees as part of the hedge. They are getting taller now they have more sun. (A massive palm tree was in the wrong spot for a hedge). They should flower much better now.

1533510100387.png

I have the best support for dragonfruits - a spiky leaved tree -yucca plant. We pruned the leaves for tidiness' sake.

1533509767015.png

The dragonfruit vine grows up to where the spikes are, bends over and now all around the same tree we have it looking like this, but much higher up than this farmer's. (minus fruit of course, it is technically winter here).

1533509935950.png

The flowers are beautiful and only open at night. It has a very strong perfume. We blow into it to pollinate them.

1533510211579.png

I was given a fair few dragonfruit vines by my son's friend's mother. So far they have all been the red ones. For such a beetroot red colour you would expect a strong flavour but they are like diluted Watermelon with kiwifruit seeds. They are very nice when super-cold straight from the fridge though.

My jaboticaba trees must have been earlier fruiting variety - I had a few already this year! The fruit tastes like a mixture of grape and lychee nut. Time will tell if they ever get like this tree - I have hopes that the one which gets the run-off from the water tank gets fruit like this photo. It has so much growth in the past few weeks.

1533509830469.png

You are right about the strawberry guava tree and its fruit flies. I have to keep an eye out for them. It is a losing battle between my insect spray and them. It is a shame the grumichama tree will get them too.
The plumcot tree has only had a few flowers, no fruit.

We put a tangelo tree recently because we had to pull out the black sapote tree which had got much too big for the hedge and was blocking the sun to the pomegranate tree.

I am still waiting for macadamia flowers from my macadamia nut tree. We have had that almost 7 years. I think it had delayed development because we moved it several times in the garden after flooding. I also planted it much deeper because we had such bad ant problems in the soil from rotting wood.

The passionfruit vines are getting better now the sun is coming back. The more sour, larger yellow ones do much better than the sweet purple ones.

Every vegetable we have tried has failed, either excess sun, too much rain at a time or insects.

So for a 600 m block I think we have done pretty well. The 2 story house was built so it is much wider than long so the backyard itself is way larger than the average house. Limited space down the sides so the south side especially gets dark and damp. We had a garden path built there because it stays damp for so long.

-----
So any other green thumbs? I suppose a lot of you have way more temperate climates so you could grow roses, stone fruit and have gardens that look very different at different times of the year.

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
Every vegetable we have tried has failed, either excess sun, too much rain at a time or insects.
cassava/yucca, pigeon peas, winged beans, yams, and sweet potatos are good options for tough conditions. try malabar spinach if you havent.

are you familiar with bill mollison and permaculture?

JoChris

Superstar
I got distracted because I thought of my new honey chai tea! Fixed now.

No, I know nothing about professional gardeners. "All" my knowledge comes from being a North Queenslander until 15 years ago, high school biology, trial-and-error and Google.

Last edited:
This year, for the first time, I cleared and prepped a patch of earth in my yard that gets decent sun and I'm very happy about it. I also have some big containers on the deck and so far I've grown and harvested cukes, bell peppers, fresno peppers, green onions, arugala, cilantro, thyme, oregano and mint ... I have a ton of green tomatoes and I'm patiently waiting for them to ripen. Nothing better than preparing meals with your own fresh harvest!

polymoog

Superstar
I got distracted because I thought of my new honey chai tea! Fixed now.

No, I know nothing about professional gardeners. "All" my knowledge comes from being a North Queenslander until 15 years ago, high school biology, trial-and-error and Google.

youll want to look into bill mollison (a tasmanian "fella") and his permaculture (permanent agriculture) concept. youtube 'permaculture' and it should open a plethora of ideas for you. i have one of his books and a bunch of others on the topic. theyre a great resource.

Thunderian

Superstar
Wow, Jo. That's great.

My wife and I look forward to doing more gardening once we have a place with a bigger yard. Right now we just have a lot of strawberry plants, and blueberry and raspberry bushes in big pots.

JoChris

Superstar
Wow, Jo. That's great.

My wife and I look forward to doing more gardening once we have a place with a bigger yard. Right now we just have a lot of strawberry plants, and blueberry and raspberry bushes in big pots.
How well do they grow in pots? Do you have trouble with insects?

JoChris

Superstar
This year, for the first time, I cleared and prepped a patch of earth in my yard that gets decent sun and I'm very happy about it. I also have some big containers on the deck and so far I've grown and harvested cukes, bell peppers, fresno peppers, green onions, arugala, cilantro, thyme, oregano and mint ... I have a ton of green tomatoes and I'm patiently waiting for them to ripen. Nothing better than preparing meals with your own fresh harvest!
I am going to try herbs again in spring.
Which ones seem to handle sunlight the best? Which ones need more water?

Thunderian

Superstar
How well do they grow in pots? Do you have trouble with insects?
No insect trouble, but they don't grow all that well past a certain point. They need to go into the ground, but we don't want to plant them at our current home.

We're growing rosemary, sage, thyme and some other herbs, and they're thriving no matter where they go or what they're in.

Futility

Established
No insect trouble, but they don't grow all that well past a certain point. They need to go into the ground, but we don't want to plant them at our current home.

We're growing rosemary, sage, thyme and some other herbs, and they're thriving no matter where they go or what they're in.
You're missing parsley for the full Simon & Garfunkel

Lurker

Star
I have a ton of green tomatoes and I'm patiently waiting for them to ripen
Don't wait. Fry them!:D

I got behind this season. Other life events took priority. Had some green beans (blue lake 274) earlier in the season. Didn't really get around to the okra. The datil and habaneros have really slowed down, but the Jamaican red is doing just fine. Rosemary, sage, and oregano doing well. Creeping thyme is slow, but there. Trying purple sweet potatoes (mostly as an experiment) might not have started them early enough, but still plenty of season left. I want to try snow or sugar snap this cool season, but need to wait until the solstice for temps to be cool enough. Ordered some ressurection fern online (turned out I could've just driven across town and picked it up) but it seems to be taking in the oak tree.

Don't wait. Fry them!:D

I got behind this season. Other life events took priority. Had some green beans (blue lake 274) earlier in the season. Didn't really get around to the okra. The datil and habaneros have really slowed down, but the Jamaican red is doing just fine. Rosemary, sage, and oregano doing well. Creeping thyme is slow, but there. Trying purple sweet potatoes (mostly as an experiment) might not have started them early enough, but still plenty of season left. I want to try snow or sugar snap this cool season, but need to wait until the solstice for temps to be cool enough. Ordered some ressurection fern online (turned out I could've just driven across town and picked it up) but it seems to be taking in the oak tree.
You sound like a pro! I might just do that - fried green tomatos are YUM.

MonBra

Rookie
This summer I'm too busy and don't have time for gardening. We are doing a home renovation and I decided to decorate our house with plants (here the sill customer service turned out to be helpful). Maybe next year I'll return to gardening. At least, I hope so because I really like it.

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
This summer I'm too busy and don't have time for gardening. We are doing a home renovation and I decided to decorate our house with plants. Maybe next year I'll return to gardening. At least, I hope so because I really like it.
there are plenty of wild edibles/salad greens that are readily available.
its a shame no one forages for them.

Simka

Established
I agree.
Also, there are many plants that can be grown not only in the garden but also indoors.
It's true. I'm going to give it a try this winter. I've already found out how to germinate basil and bought the seeds. It turned out that using a paper towel is an easy and cost-effective method, and I think it can be used for other plants. Of course, basil seeds can fail to germinate. This is a common issue that can be caused by a few factors such as cold temperatures or using old seeds.
I'm still clueless about many things, but I'm going to learn further and hope for a good result.

Last edited: