Favorite Things Thread!

Carolyn

Veteran
Crock pots are great too tidal. Get a piece of meat, put in onions, carrots, and celery, with tomato sauce, put in herbs de provence, salt and pepper, turn on for several hours, boom French cuisine.
slow cookers even better, you can make allsorts of stuff in slow cooker, soup, stew, puddings, bread, roasts you can get a decent size one for under £20 you can put it on the night before or first thing in the morning and whatever you are making will be ready in around 8 hours. I use mine a lot and its about 6 years old now lol

DesertRose

Superstar
I LURVED the dinners me mam used to do, but she died 20 years ago and i've not had a decent meal since, I live out of cans now and it's all pretty bland.
@polymoog beat me to it. :D:D
@polymoog, @lightseeker @Carolyn good points!
(Just read that a crock pot is also a slow cooker it is a brand name.)
Some grocers do "ready meals" in a compartmented plastic tray (taters, veg, meat, yorkshire pud and gravy) which you have to heat up at home which aren't bad but they're hard to get because local grocers don't seem to stock them so i'll google around to see if any place can home-deliver them from further afield..:)
On a serious note, Tidal you don't need to rely on others for a good meal;)
Before Covid I would have told you to take some cooking classes!
Edit: I would suggest getting a rice cooker and going online for recipes Youtube has excellent videos on this. Most of all enjoy cooking!
Thanks for sharing everyone!

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
Thanks people, if there are 3 things i know zilch about they're economics, women and cooking..:)
I bought myself this mini-oven earlier this year (130 GB pounds/ 160 US dollars) but I'm not very impressed with it.
No matter what I put in it like fish fingers, chips, pies etc, they usually come out dry and tasteless even though I follow the heating and timing instructions to the letter.
On the back of the food packets they give the option of cooking fan-assisted, so I always use that option because it takes less time to cook stuff, maybe the fan is drying out the food too much, I dunno.

polymoog

Superstar
No matter what I put in it like fish fingers, chips, pies etc, they usually come out dry and tasteless even though I follow the heating and timing instructions to the letter.
are you even seasoning any of this crap youre cooking?

Tidal

Star
are you even seasoning any of this crap youre cooking?

Nah, I don't know what the word means, I simply open the food packets and cans and bung the stuff in the oven or microwave and switch on and wait for the ping.
Sometimes I use the hobs to fry stuff, for example only yesterday I sliced up a sirloin steak and fried it but it came out like hard rubber and I had a hell of a time trying to chew it, it'd have been easier if i had teeth like Jaws or Bear Grylls.

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
Nah, I don't know what the word means, I simply open the food packets and cans and bung the stuff in the oven or microwave and switch on and wait for the ping.
well, i dont season anything either unless there is a health benefit to add it to the food. i dont care about taste. you do, though!
its sunday. go outside (without your mask on) and get some asparagus or brussels sprouts and try what i told you to do. report back to us here. that oven you have-- that goes to 400/425 degrees F, right?
git r dun fer god.

Lurker

Star
Thanks people, if there are 3 things i know zilch about they're economics, women and cooking..:)
I bought myself this mini-oven earlier this year (130 GB pounds/ 160 US dollars) but I'm not very impressed with it.
On the back of the food packets they give the option of cooking fan-assisted, so I always use that option because it takes less time to cook stuff, maybe the fan is drying out the food too much, I dunno.

Looks like a cool unit. Handy and versatile. Try it without the fan. And don't over cook your steak! Let the steak warm to room temp or at least 45 minutes out of the fridge, pat dry and season KISS (keep it simple, Sally) salt, pepper, garlic, get a cast iron or other heavy pan smoking hot and toss the steak (1" thick) on for 3-5 minutes each side.

Tidal

Star
Thanks for the advice everybody but the major stumbling block for me is that I hate cooking as much as I hate computers; I just like to throw food in the oven, pan and microwave without any preparation or seasoning or spices or anything.
i've had some success with brussel sprouts though, they used to come out the microwave like hard green lumps, so I tried leaving them in longer and they came out nice and mushy.
Problem is, I think I read somewhere that if you overcook veg it loses its vitamins and nutritional value, I just can't win (sniffle)..

Maes17

Star
Thanks for the advice everybody but the major stumbling block for me is that I hate cooking as much as I hate computers; I just like to throw food in the oven, pan and microwave without any preparation or seasoning or spices or anything.
i've had some success with brussel sprouts though, they used to come out the microwave like hard green lumps, so I tried leaving them in longer and they came out nice and mushy.
Problem is, I think I read somewhere that if you overcook veg it loses its vitamins and nutritional value, I just can't win (sniffle)..
Lazy wanker. Get your ass in the kitchen and learn to cook fer fuks sake!
The doomsdall hall needs you!

Tidal

Star
Lazy wanker. Get your ass in the kitchen and learn to cook fer fuks sake!
The doomsdall hall needs you!

I'm learning! For example I used to drop my beefburgers into a frying pan of oil on full heat then go watch TV in the living room and I'd know they were done when I heard explosions and the smoke alarm went off in the kitchen.
What happened was that the outside of the burgers had formed a hard crust and the soft molten interior had expanded and burst out like a Mount St Helens re-enactment, there were roiling ash clouds, pyroclastic flows, the lot.
So now I've learnt not to do them on full heat but to heat them more gently, it takes longer which is a hassle but hey that's life..

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
they used to come out the microwave like hard green lumps, so I tried leaving them in longer and they came out nice and mushy.
Problem is, I think I read somewhere that if you overcook veg it loses its vitamins and nutritional value, I just can't win (sniffle)
if you care about your health, cooking with the microwave is one of the worst things you can do.

Tidal

Star
if you care about your health, cooking with the microwave is one of the worst things you can do.

If you mean the danger from microwave radiation, I hear microwaves are built like 'Faraday Cages' to stop the radiation leaking out..:)

polymoog

Superstar
If you mean the danger from microwave radiation, I hear microwaves are built like 'Faraday Cages' to stop the radiation leaking out..

Carolyn

Veteran
This YT channel has loads of really cool interesting short videos about allsorts of stuff.

polymoog

Superstar
This YT channel has loads of really cool interesting short videos about allsorts of stuff.

i am trying to avoid ThemTube at all costs. do they have another channel somewhere else?