Favorite Quran Verses

Etagloc

Superstar
I am surprised this thread does not exist.

What are some of your favorite and most beautiful Quran verses?

The one that has stuck with me for years is

Do they not look at the birds, held poised in the midst of (the air and) the sky? Nothing holds them up but (the power of) Allah. Verily in this are signs for those who believe.

-Surah 16:79

vigilante71

Established
Guess there are not enough Muslims here. But mine would be this:
"Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned..." (2:286). It actually made me confident that I can find the truth trying harder, and grow out of the doubts I have dwelled on for long.

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
Excellent thread!Let's keep it going!

Good and evil cannot be equal,
Repel evil with what is better;
then you will see that one who was once your enemy
has become your dearest friend.
(41: 34)

He who has created death and life
so that He might put you to a test
and reveal which of you does best.
He alone is almighty, truly forgiving.

He who has created seven heavens
in full harmony with one another.
You will not see any flaw
in what the Lord of Mercy creates.
Look again! Can you see any flaw?
( 67:2-3)

You who believe, be ever steadfast in upholding justice,
bearing witness to the truth for the sake of God,
even if it is against yourselves, your parents, or your kinsfolk.
Whether the person is rich or poor, God’s claim takes precedence.
Refrain from following your own desire, lest you swerve from justice.
if you distort or neglect justice, God is fully aware of what you do.
( 4:135)

Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth
and the alternation of the night and the day
are signs for those of understanding.
(3:190)

Do you think that you could enter Paradise
without first having suffered like those before you?
They were afflicted by misfortune and hardship,
and they were so shaken that even [their] messenger
and the believers with him cried, ‘When will God’s help arrive?’
Truly, God’s help is near.
(The Cow 2:214)

We will reserve the houses of the hereafter exclusively for those who do not seek self-glory in this life
and do not cause oppression and corruption to spread.
The final outcome belongs to those who fear ( are God conscious of Allah).
[28:83]

Say, “In fact, my Lord has forbidden all kinds of lewd and obscene acts
whether committed openly or in secret:
(all sorts of) sins and wrongful oppressions, associating anything (or anyone) with Allah
for which He has revealed no sanction,
and attributing to Allah that about which you know nothing.”
[7:33]

And what is wrong with you that you fight not in the Cause of Allâh,
and for those weak, ill-treated and oppressed
among men, women, and children,
whose cry is: “Our Lord! Rescue us from this town whose people are oppressors;
and raise for us from You one who will protect,
and raise for us from You one who will help.”
[4:75]

Last edited:
Al-Hadid - 57 1:7 (with tafsir in parentheses for clarification)

Whatsoever is in the heavens and the earth glorifies Allah, and He is the All-Mighty, All-Wise. (1)
His is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth, It is He Who gives life and causes death; and He is Able to do all things. (2)
He is the First (nothing is before Him) and the Last (nothing is after Him), the Most High (nothing is above Him) and the Most Near (nothing is nearer than Him). And He is the All-Knower of every thing. (3)
He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days and then Istawa (rose over) the Throne (in a manner that suits His Majesty). He knows what goes into the earth and what comes forth from it, what descends from the heaven and what ascends thereto. And He is with you (by His Knowledge) wheresoever you may be. And Allah is the All-Seer of what you do. (4)
His is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth. And to Allah return all the matters (for decision). (5)
He merges night into day (i.e. the decrease in the hours of the night is added into the hours of the day), and merges day into night (i.e. the decrease in the hours of the day is added into the hours of the night), and He has full knowledge of whatsoever is in the breasts. (6)
Believe in Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad peace be upon him), and spend of that whereof He has made you trustees. And such of you as believe and spend (in Allah's Way), theirs will be a great reward. (7)

Etagloc

Superstar
Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Surah Az-Zumar [39:53]

By the Glorious Morning Light,
And by the Night when it is still,-
Thy Guardian-Lord hath not forsaken thee, nor is He displeased.
And verily the Hereafter will be better for thee than the present.
And soon will thy Guardian-Lord give thee (that wherewith) thou shalt be well-pleased.
Did He not find thee an orphan and give thee shelter (and care)?
And He found thee wandering, and He gave thee guidance.
And He found thee in need, and made thee independent.
Therefore, treat not the orphan with harshness,
Nor repulse the petitioner (unheard);
But the bounty of the Lord - rehearse and proclaim!

Surah Ad-Duhaa

yiksmes

Established
3:178
Sahih International

And let not those who disbelieve ever think that [because] We extend their time [of enjoyment] it is better for them. We only extend it for them so that they may increase in sin, and for them is a humiliating punishment.

DesertRose

Superstar
A reprimand against those who dwell on the ambiguities of scripture:

It is He who has sent this Scripture down to you,
some of its verses are definite in meaning —
these are the cornerstone of the Scripture —
and others are ambiguous.

The perverse at heart eagerly pursue the ambiguities
in their attempt to make trouble,
and to pin down a specific meaning of their own:
only God knows the true meaning.

Those firmly rooted in knowledge say,
“We believe in it: it is all from our Lord.”
Albeit none takes this to heart,
but those who are endowed with insight.

(The Family of Imran 3: 7)

yiksmes

Established
"We have enjoined on man and woman (to be good) to his/her parents; show gratitude to Me and to thy parents; to Me is (thy final) Goal. If they (parents) strive to make thee join in worship with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not; yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration) and follow the way of those who turn to Me (in love)" (31:14-15).

And im sorry to put the hadith in but it goes together:

The Prophet Muhammad said, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him: Your Heaven lies under the feet of your mother (Ahmad, Nasai).

A man came to the Prophet and said, ‘O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my good companionship? The Prophet said: Your mother. The man said, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man further asked, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man asked again, ‘Then who?' The Prophet said: Then your father. (Bukhari, Muslim).

DesertRose

Superstar
Quran [33:35]

The submitting men, the submitting women,
the believing men, the believing women,
the obedient men, the obedient women,
the truthful men, the truthful women,
the steadfast men, the steadfast women,
the reverent men, the reverent women,
the charitable men, the charitable women,
the fasting men, the fasting women,
the chaste men, the chaste women,
and the men who commemorate GOD frequently, and the commemorating women;
GOD has prepared for them forgiveness and a great recompense.

Allah has sent down the best statement, a Book (this Quran), its parts resembling each other in goodness and truth, oft-repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it (when they recite it or hear it). Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allah. That is the guidance of Allah. He Guides therewith whom He pleases and whomever Allah sends astray, for him there is no guide. (39:23)

DesertRose

Superstar
Quran 8:36
Indeed, those who disbelieve spend their wealth to avert [people] from the way of Allah. So they will spend it; then it will be for them a [source of] regret; then they will be overcome. And those who have disbelieved - unto Hell they will be gathered.

Quran 28:83
That home of the Hereafter We assign to those who do not desire exaltedness upon the earth or corruption. And the [best] outcome is for the righteous

Last edited:

DesertRose

Superstar
¨He released the two seas, meeting [side by side]
Between them is a barrier [so] neither of them transgresses – Quran 55 : 19-20¨
For the sceptics..
Excellent reference!
I remember being shocked to discover that the Quran mentions this.
The Quran on Seas and Rivers:
Modern Science has discovered that in the places where two different seas meet, there is a barrier between them. This barrier divides the two seas so that each sea has its own temperature, salinity, and density.1 For example, Mediterranean sea water is warm, saline, and less dense, compared to Atlantic ocean water. When Mediterranean sea water enters the Atlantic over the Gibraltar sill, it moves several hundred kilometers into the Atlantic at a depth of about 1000 meters with its own warm, saline, and less dense characteristics. The Mediterranean water stabilizes at this depth2 (see figure 13).

source: https://www.islam-guide.com/ch1-1-e.htm

Etagloc

Superstar
I used to be obsessed with Surah Yusuf... the surah has deep personal significance for me, for reasons too personal to explain here...

two verses that stick with me

He said: "O my Lord! the prison is more to my liking than that to which they invite me: Unless Thou turn away their snare from me, I should (in my youthful folly) feel inclined towards them and join the ranks of the ignorant."

Surah Yusuf [12:33]

I love how the Quran treats deep wisdom in a way like how a billionaire might treat a $100 bill..... it seems to me as though the Quran simply reveals tons of wisdom in brief verses as though its nothing.... wisdom that might take a writer pages to explain..... just in one verse.... not just in one verse but in just part of one verse.... and then more such wisdom within the same verse....

I am struck... Yusuf (may peace be upon him) would prefer prison to that which he was he invited... he would rather go to prison... and the verse shows also... that even prophets (may peace be upon them) are subject to temptation and it seems that even he was worried about the temptation and worried about falling into it... temptation is something which has to be taken seriously... even prophets (may peace be upon them) can be tempted it seems... thirdly I think the verse illustrates how sin actually has an impact on our cognitive abilities.... I tried to explain that to someone and I don't think they understood.... sin can take away from our ability to reason and understand things... were he to fall into sin from what I understand from that verse... he would be in the ranks of the ignorant... and so I think it actually would have affected his mental capacities.... I think even secular psychology has confirmed how sin can take away from ability to think clearly... I think this is shown by Leon Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance

moving on
https://quran.com/12/54?translations=22,20
"Nor do I absolve my own self (of blame): the (human) soul is certainly prone to evil, unless my Lord do bestow His Mercy: but surely my Lord is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."

Surah Yusuf [12:53]

I picture this as such a plot twist! The woman who tried to seduce Yusuf (may peace be upon him).... she confesses and repents! This verse is so shocking to me. I imagine if it was a Hollywood movie... such dramatic music would appear in this scene as she (up to this point a villain) confesses and repents and turns to Allah.... imagine if Darth Vader told Luke in the middle of a Star Wars movie: "I have indeed made mischief in the galaxy!" and then repented and turned to Allah... what a plot twist that would be!

I am so shocked by that verse. It's amazing how the woman who tried to seduce Yusuf (may peace be upon him)- and then had him thrown him prison... she went and repented and turned to Allah! Maybe that is why Allah makes lives very often so long. Our lives are nothing in the big scheme of things in terms of length... but Allah could have given humans life-spans of 20 years rather than life-spans like 60, 70, 80. If I understand corrrectly, I think we're given that time so that we can repent and turn to Allah.

I feel sad for the people who leave this world very young- particularly if they live as many young people who don't think about God. To leave this world and not turn to Allah and believe in al-tawheed... that is terrifying. Me and my best friend used to live and think like we were invincible. Now he is gone. I have trouble wrapping my head around it and I don't know that I completely comprehend it. My mom told me that tomorrow is not promised and it is very strange how a person can be there and just be a regular person- and then the next day you never see them again and you're being told stories about what happened. A lot of people I grew up with have left ad-Dunya. For me this reinforces the temporality of ad-Dunya.

I am happy I remembered this verse. As I meant to mention Surah Al-Kahf. Today is Jummah and this is the day to recite Surah Al-Kahf.

Wealth and sons are allurements of the life of this world: But the things that endure, good deeds, are best in the sight of thy Lord, as rewards, and best as (the foundation for) hopes.

-Surah Al-Kahf [18:46]

We can't take our material things with us. Our good deeds will go with us, though!

I think of this message:

This life is temporary.

Then did Satan make them slip from the (garden), and get them out of the state (of felicity) in which they had been. We said: "Get ye down, all (ye people), with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood - for a time."

-Surah Al-Baqarah [2:36]