Favorite Philosophers

williejonesjr

Veteran
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. The death of Socrates- what a way to die! If I understand correctly, the guards were even willing to let him escape because he was so loved and popular but Socrates chose to drink the hemlock and not to run. I myself don't understand that.

But what this shows is that Socrates was not the egghead caricature that modern society wants to depict intelligent people as. Socrates was a man. These dudes now..... many of your local philosophy professors are spineless. They've totally betrayed Socrates' legacy. There are homeless drunks who keep it truer to Socrates' legacy than these professors do. They won't even speak out, much less die for their beliefs.

But Socrates was like the head of a hydra. You cut off the head and more heads appear. One day, his name could be completely forgotten and lost. But he'll continuously reappear in every generation regardless.
I hope he's never forgotten. I think he was a one- of- a - kind.

I feel like my profs could have done more to honor him, now that you mention it.

I don't know much about philosophy except that it may signify, at least to me, meanings about life? Sorry to be so ignorant.

On the other hand, my personal philosophy of life is based pretty much on ''Sense perception is sense deception''.

What that entails to me is as follows:

Everybody perceives things in his or her own way. I may see the color blue as purple and you may see the same color as dark blue. I may taste lemon and find it eatable and you may taste the same lemon and find it uneatable. In the same way, nobody thinks the same way, smell the same way, hear the same way, and feel the same way. So many people and yet so many ways of sensing and perceiving things. What's funny in all of this is that many of us tend to believe that everybody else thinks and feels the same way we do about things. What's great about this is concerning the Greatness of God Almighty that i personally happen to see in such a thing, given that all of our senses are truly God-Dependent at each and every moment, albeit that God Has Also Granted each and everybody a certain capacity to operate, but meanwhile consider the billions of movements happening right now, thought-processes, and visions being seen and imagined, all of this Through His Power, well at least according to what i believe!

Attachments

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
I just got through taking Introduction To Philosophy at MIT through EDX and it was a great course. Having read tons of philosophy, I figured it would add more backbone to it all and it did. Blue and green, grue and bleen, Brains In a Vat, and all that jazz lol... (<>..<>)
And now, this:
3_PARENTAL_ADVISORY.jpg

Last edited:
Rust, although kinda hilarious in a way, sadly doesn't talk about God though.
Shows clearly that his persona isn't a true believer, but i appreciated the video really and thanks for that!

I'm watching this now, thanks to you for introducing me to true detective:

Etagloc

Superstar
Rust, although kinda hilarious in a way, sadly doesn't talk about God though.
Shows clearly that his persona isn't a true believer, but i appreciated the video really and thanks for that!

I'm watching this now, thanks to you for introducing me to true detective:

That's the thing about academic philosophy...... they artificially remove philosophy's spiritual aspects. Philosophy is inherently spiritual.

Plato was not an atheist. Socrates was not an atheist. Aristotle was maybe the least spiritual of the three and even he wrote a treatise called "On the Soul". Socrates and Plato were extremely spiritual and their spirituality was integrated into their theories. The idea that you can artificially remove spirituality from philosophy and everything else is a modern idea, a modern delusion and obsession.

Socrates and Plato actually believed that the purpose of philosophy is to prepare us for the afterlife, that philosophy is a preparation for death. They were very spiritual and trying to produce an atheistic version of their philosophy is like trying to produce a hamburger without the meat. You might as well try to produce an atheistic version of the Quran. You totally lose the meaning. It's a modern, artificial, sanitized version of their philosophy. The anti-human musing of that video that UnderAlienControl.... I think it's just modern nihilism put in words. It does not represent a rebellion against the system, it is a statement of the logic of the system. The way we rebel is by reintegrating the spiritual into life and rebelling against the artificial soullessness that society wishes to force on us.

Academic philosophy- that is the thing about it. It presents itself as a rebellion against the system but it actually integrates us further into the antihuman viewpoint the elite wants to push on us. We have to go to the roots and go back to the ancient philosophers in their own words. All this modern junk is to be overcome, not to be embraced.

UnderAlienControl

Superstar
Glad you dig it GIF. As Matthew McC would say: Allriiiiight...He AND Woody both deserved Emmy's for this. Season one is dark-it's about a secretive, backwoods illuminati kill cult. A lot of people hack on season 2, but I enjoyed it too. BTW, check out the Illuminati thread I threw a clip of Rust's views on religion into that thread... (<>..<>)

Couldn't have said it any better @Etagloc ! Hats off!

I'm glad too at @UnderAlienControl ! Thank you again! Hmm okay i intend to check it out! ^_^

My favorite philosopher would have to be Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Prayers be upon him) who said in such a sense that his best companion is loneliness.