Fat epidemic

Lurker

Star
Honestly, I couldn't find the specific case I was thinking of. Maybe I misread something awhile back, or just having a problem with google search terms. I'll keep looking though.

Until then, I would like to respond to the common and dangerous misconception you are spreading. While I couldn't find the previous case I mentioned, I did find this case:

In it, the court ruled a cell phone cannot be tracked by the government without a warrant. This ruling defies the sentiment that we have no privacy in public, we most certainly do. Basically tracking someone just because they are in public is the equivalent of confinement by an ankle bracelet.

Furthermore, knowledge of common law also defies your statement. Federal and state wiretapping laws may apply in public space, as well as voyeurism and stalking laws.
OK, I was thinking of it in a more general sense. As in privacy from the general public. I guess I didn't quite get what you were saying.

Aero

Superstar
OK, I was thinking of it in a more general sense. As in privacy from the general public. I guess I didn't quite get what you were saying.
I'm a privacy advocate. But it's true, most lawyers wouldn't take the cases I think up. Of course, I can only speculate as to why. I think most lawyers just don't want a lot of attention. Possibly because they are dirty as hell.

its weird the other day i wrote an article about how nice people are on this forum, but now i see i was wrong, like everywhere else you have to fit societies standards to be accepted and treated with respect, which is werid seeing as this is meant to be a forum that fights what we are told to think

weskrongden

Veteran
its weird the other day i wrote an article about how nice people are on this forum, but now i see i was wrong, like everywhere else you have to fit societies standards to be accepted and treated with respect, which is werid seeing as this is meant to be a forum that fights what we are told to think
It's science and common sense that you should take care of yourself. Society needs to tell you to exercise and not over eat greasy junk? You aren't treating your own body with respect if you're obese.

weskrongden

Veteran
The health speech is just an excuse people use to bully people to make themselves feel better about themselves.
No it's really not. Do you think it's cool having heart disease and type 2 diabetes? Society says you stealing and assault are bad. Is that wrong because society says so? Doctors will tell you why being obese is a problem and it's based on science and medicine. People shouldn't be bullies, but it also needs to be said that obesity is a bad thing and being healthy is a good thing. 40% obesity rates should not happen.

Spades

Established
@Spades @Vixy Settle down youngsters.

We all have our life experiences. I’ve met some stuck up fitness broads who you know got by life just on looks.

I’ve also stumbled across some rude overweight people. My encounters with the overweight people is that they were stuck in their ways with their diet, habits and too proud to admit they were eating junk.

I eat a fairly clean diet but do have my cheat days/weeks.
I’ve gotten compliments from the items in my basket from “wow! You take care of yourself” to snobbish remarks like “my grandparents didn’t eat like that”
I've got no problem here with anyone's weight, large or small. I do have a problem with people being hypocrites. VIXY. No worries, though... I won't add attention to this post anymore. She really told me. Consider me thoroughly put in my place. "Fatty" out. =)

Maes17

Superstar
I've got no problem here with anyone's weight, large or small. I do have a problem with people being hypocrites. VIXY. No worries, though... I won't add attention to this post anymore. She really told me. Consider me thoroughly put in my place. "Fatty" out. =)
You and Vixy will figure it out.
Heated discussions. Just don’t like to see VCers attacking each other unnecessarily.

At the end of the day y’all mofos have my support in whatever you choose to embark.

:)

Keep on keeping on

Lisa

Superstar
No it's really not. Do you think it's cool having heart disease and type 2 diabetes? Society says you stealing and assault are bad. Is that wrong because society says so? Doctors will tell you why being obese is a problem and it's based on science and medicine. People shouldn't be bullies, but it also needs to be said that obesity is a bad thing and being healthy is a good thing. 40% obesity rates should not happen.
Life is hard and everyone has problems...unfortunately obesity is one that people can easily spot. Doesn’t mean it’s easy to solve..if you bully/shame an obese person, probably will end up upsetting them and they keep eating and you will only keep their self hatred alive and the cycle continues..

Again an excuse to lecture people to make yourself feel better.
Bad health is not unique to fat people, plenty of thin or average people have poor health due to life style choices, thin people eat to much, drink to much, smoke to much and do illegal drugs to much.
Why are you not lecturing them?

I see more fat people at the gym than thin, and the few thin people barely do any exercise, they can't or play on phones.

Diabetes and heart disease are not fat people diseases, there are plenty of people with those diseases who are thin, my partner is one of them, he's always been skinny, yet he's a diabetic with heart disease.

Again lecturing about people's health based on their appearance is nothing but thinnly veiled attempts to make yourself feel better about your own short comings. If you really cared you would help people and lecture all people on good health not just those who don't fit the societally accepted aesthetic.

It's science and common sense that you should take care of yourself. Society needs to tell you to exercise and not over eat greasy junk? You aren't treating your own body with respect if you're obese.
Are you as concerned with thin or average people who abuse their bodies with fast food, fatty food, drugs, alcohol and drugs or is it only looks that are important? There's such a thing as skinny fat remember.

Being a socially accepted aesthetic does not denote health

morita

Veteran
There is a difference between being obese and being fat. You can't change your metabolism but obesity is a disease, just like anorexia.
Thin people also get remarks all the time about needing to eat more. In certain cultures it's better for women to be curvy, I've been told numerous times I had to gain weight.

There is a difference between being obese and being fat. You can't change your metabolism but obesity is a disease, just like anorexia.
Thin people also get remarks all the time about needing to eat more. In certain cultures it's better for women to be curvy, I've been told numerous times I had to gain weight.
But is there a forum on here about how thin people need to get fat or healthy, are there derogitory terms being used against thin people?

morita

Veteran
But is there a forum on here about how thin people need to get fat or healthy
Obesity has become a pandemic that's why. 13% of the population is obese vs less than 1% that is anorexic, and the percentage of obese people is growing at alarming rates. You don't think that's a problem that should be adressed?? The op may not go about it the way people think she should but still.

are there derogitory terms being used against thin people?
I don't see any derogatory terms in this thread. If someone is obese or fat what are we supposed to call them. And thin people, tall people, short people, all get called derogatory terms sometimes too. No one is exempt.

Last edited:
Obesity has become a pandemic that's why. 13% of the population is obese vs less than 1% that is anorexic, and the percentage of obese people is growing at alarming rates. You don't think that's a problem that should be adressed?? The op may not go about it the way people think she should but still.
ok so when people say rude things to you about your weight, what is your automatic reaction, do you suddenly go eat more, do you feel the need to bulk up so you wont get bullied any more?

also the issue with obesity is way way way way more complicated than people are lazy and eat to much.

poverty, access, education and mental health all come into obesity.

poverty - the fact is cheap food is unhealthy, full of additives, addictive substances, fat, and chemicals.
If you are poor you have a limited budget for food, the average house that lives under the bread line or skims the bread line, has one option buy what they can afford and what lasts, fruit and vegetables are more expensive than chip (or in the USA fries), tinned food is cheaper than fresh produce, frozen foods are cheaper than fresh and you can forget organic foods.
Also take into account many households can only afford food than can be microwaved or cooked for short periods due to not being able to afford cookers or to use to much electric, yes this is an issue, i have seen poor people heat a tin of beans on a microwave as they dont have any means to cook food.
Even if they did do you think they have the time and resources to cook food from scratch.
many poor people in Britain live in bedsits, hostiles and bed and breakfasts, there are no cooking facilities and if there are then its limited.
they cant afford fridge freezers or there lodgings dont have the facilities, meaning they need long lasting food that does not need to be chilled, instant noodles, tins and pastas, generally fit in this category.
also consider, you have no facilities, so you have to go out and eat, you can have an organic restaurant meal at £10-100 a head or go a fast food joint and get a burger for £1, which often includes receipts where if you fill in the questionnaires you get a cheaper or free meal, if you have a limited budget which would you choose.
also take into account many of these people have more than one job, they wont have time either for cooking.
Fatness used to be a rich persons issue, now its turned on its head and if people stopped using the blame game they will see past their noses and see fatness isnt a laziness issue, its a poverty issue.

Access - leading on from the eating out issue, go to any poverty stricken place, a ghetto, a low run down part of town and spot the organic food, health food or fruit and veg shop. it wont take you long i promise you.
Fact is poor locations have very few if any locations to buy healthy food, if you are low income or have a limited budge do you think they can afford a car or vehicle to buy food in healthier places plus have the funds for the food after, public transport is also limited in many poor locations.
Also look at the type of food establishments that are available in poor locations, take aways, fast food places. if thats all they can get and all they can afford thats what they get.

Education - even if they have the means to buy fresh food, many schools do not teach about food choices or cooking courses in poor areas, so yes ignorance is an issue.

Mental health - this one effect all people, no matter the economics of the person.
depression causes weight gain in some, anxiety another.
also take into account medication for mental illness can cause weight gain, leading to the mental illness increasing.
so you know what really does not help, mocking, belittling or talking down to a person who is ill.

never in the history of bullying has a person thought ''you know they are right'', you know what happens when you constantly tell someone they are worthless because how they look (because what your doing is basically that) , they retreat and dont get help, they dont try and help themselves because why bother, in fact many get worse. no one deserves to be abused due to how they look.

there are plenty of epidemics involving thinness but they are not seen as an issue because thinness is socially acceptable, eating disorders are hugely under reported mainly due to the fact eating disorders are being repackaged as 'healthy' living', the new buzzwords for starving yourself are detox, dieting and fasting. but its all about starving yourself thin and is repackaged as some form of fashion. the reason its called eating disorder is because its disordered eating, starving yourself for certain periods to be socially acceptable is disordered eating.
also take into account smoking and drug use, both are used as techniques to stay or make yourself thin, laxatives, cocaine, heroin, appetite suppressors.... they are all used to remain or get thin, do you ever see a fat drug addict? but because they are used to cause thinness then its not a problem or called a pandemic.

the idea than thinness is automatically healthy is a lie and dangerous at best, one key example, women who are congratulated for losing weight, when they lost weight because they were dying from cancer, yes ive seen this happen.

so again you can use the fake argument its about a persons health why your being rude to a fat person, but its a very thinly veiled excuse to be rude, bully and make yourself feel better about yourself.

Lisa

Superstar
It depends on the drugs in question, but I’ve known bigger people with drug problems. Most are/were plus sized women who started using meth or coke in an attempt to lose weight because they had issues because of society and judgements from people like we have seen in this thread.

:(
Someone I know started smoking in a bid to lose weight. She’s losing it but at why cost?

morita

Veteran
ok so when people say rude things to you about your weight, what is your automatic reaction, do you suddenly go eat more, do you feel the need to bulk up so you wont get bullied any more?

also the issue with obesity is way way way way more complicated than people are lazy and eat to much.

poverty, access, education and mental health all come into obesity.

poverty - the fact is cheap food is unhealthy, full of additives, addictive substances, fat, and chemicals.
If you are poor you have a limited budget for food, the average house that lives under the bread line or skims the bread line, has one option buy what they can afford and what lasts, fruit and vegetables are more expensive than chip (or in the USA fries), tinned food is cheaper than fresh produce, frozen foods are cheaper than fresh and you can forget organic foods.
Also take into account many households can only afford food than can be microwaved or cooked for short periods due to not being able to afford cookers or to use to much electric, yes this is an issue, i have seen poor people heat a tin of beans on a microwave as they dont have any means to cook food.
Even if they did do you think they have the time and resources to cook food from scratch.
many poor people in Britain live in bedsits, hostiles and bed and breakfasts, there are no cooking facilities and if there are then its limited.
they cant afford fridge freezers or there lodgings dont have the facilities, meaning they need long lasting food that does not need to be chilled, instant noodles, tins and pastas, generally fit in this category.
also consider, you have no facilities, so you have to go out and eat, you can have an organic restaurant meal at £10-100 a head or go a fast food joint and get a burger for £1, which often includes receipts where if you fill in the questionnaires you get a cheaper or free meal, if you have a limited budget which would you choose.
also take into account many of these people have more than one job, they wont have time either for cooking.
Fatness used to be a rich persons issue, now its turned on its head and if people stopped using the blame game they will see past their noses and see fatness isnt a laziness issue, its a poverty issue.

Access - leading on from the eating out issue, go to any poverty stricken place, a ghetto, a low run down part of town and spot the organic food, health food or fruit and veg shop. it wont take you long i promise you.
Fact is poor locations have very few if any locations to buy healthy food, if you are low income or have a limited budge do you think they can afford a car or vehicle to buy food in healthier places plus have the funds for the food after, public transport is also limited in many poor locations.
Also look at the type of food establishments that are available in poor locations, take aways, fast food places. if thats all they can get and all they can afford thats what they get.

Education - even if they have the means to buy fresh food, many schools do not teach about food choices or cooking courses in poor areas, so yes ignorance is an issue.

Mental health - this one effect all people, no matter the economics of the person.
depression causes weight gain in some, anxiety another.
also take into account medication for mental illness can cause weight gain, leading to the mental illness increasing.
so you know what really does not help, mocking, belittling or talking down to a person who is ill.

never in the history of bullying has a person thought ''you know they are right'', you know what happens when you constantly tell someone they are worthless because how they look (because what your doing is basically that) , they retreat and dont get help, they dont try and help themselves because why bother, in fact many get worse. no one deserves to be abused due to how they look.

there are plenty of epidemics involving thinness but they are not seen as an issue because thinness is socially acceptable, eating disorders are hugely under reported mainly due to the fact eating disorders are being repackaged as 'healthy' living', the new buzzwords for starving yourself are detox, dieting and fasting. but its all about starving yourself thin and is repackaged as some form of fashion. the reason its called eating disorder is because its disordered eating, starving yourself for certain periods to be socially acceptable is disordered eating.
also take into account smoking and drug use, both are used as techniques to stay or make yourself thin, laxatives, cocaine, heroin, appetite suppressors.... they are all used to remain or get thin, do you ever see a fat drug addict? but because they are used to cause thinness then its not a problem or called a pandemic.

the idea than thinness is automatically healthy is a lie and dangerous at best, one key example, women who are congratulated for losing weight, when they lost weight because they were dying from cancer, yes ive seen this happen.

so again you can use the fake argument its about a persons health why your being rude to a fat person, but its a very thinly veiled excuse to be rude, bully and make yourself feel better about yourself.
Calling a spade a spade isn't bullying. I noticed anytime the topic of obesity is adressed there are some people who have this knee-jerk reaction and get all up in their feelings.
Food deserts and lack of access is one aspect of it. But there are just as many people who have access to healthy food yet still proceed to eat garbage, sit all day, not workout and then complain about their weight. I see it around me all the time.

Last edited:
Someone I know started smoking in a bid to lose weight. She’s losing it but at why cost?
this is the problem people will congratulate her on her weight loss even though her health is probably is a worse situation than when she was a bit heavier, but people dont care as long as she fits societies tiny mold