"Experts say" reparations for blacks would cost 6.2 Quadrillion dollars

Helioform

Star
Just what kind of drugs are these complete idiots on? 151 millions for EACH black person? I can't believe this is being said seriously. Grab a book, study and work hard and then you will deserve your money.

Wigi

Veteran
Universal healthcare would be less expensive and arguably less divisive. But if Bill Gates, Bezos and Rothschild's dynasty wants to put down a knee and give 2/3 of their personal fortune to repent for all the slaveholders in History I say it's the right moment.

The Zone

Star
There is zero logic in any of the hard left push on this and other things beyond creating the race war they so desperately want. Commenting further would likely open up a can of worms I have little desire to discuss. We will all be one race soon if they have their way - mongrels. And not inner mixing born out of love which is natural but born out of a forced agenda for it will be easier to control a raceless society.

We need an open discussion on the past in the US and some change, but not a mob pushed by the PTB's. This is how they crush nationalism once and for all -- what we are seeing and ushering in a one-world dictator. The veil has been lifted on their agendas but we are so accustomed to carrying on even in a crisis that most humans are blind to it and miss it altogether. Go back and try and trace when the chaos was kicked into overdrive for so much has happened we cannot stop to think about each event for more than a day. I think they feel now is the time to act in fear of losing control back to traditionalists. This topic is a part of the plan to destabilize the US once and for all and more or less neuter its power.

Theoretically speaking, if reparations were to be paid, my assumption is that the money would stay inside the US and inadvertently be an investment in Americans citizens. Whereas throughout the Covid-19 issue, as Karly has indicated here, the US will continue to give Israel $3.8 billion dollars annually, which is $10 million dollars a day, and the US will have nothing to show for it:

rainerann

Star
There is literally nothing in the article about proposing that we give a quadrillion to black people. The part about this is based on a study determining what an equivalent value would be to the original amount promised.

no one in the entire article says that this should be pursued. In fact, at least six different approaches are given and more commentary beyond that from different points of view is also given.

I’m guessing that not one person who has posted in this thread has actually even read the article.

the article had a lot more diverse discussion than this thread which is not surprising at all.

AlcyoneSong

Established
There is literally nothing in the article about proposing that we give a quadrillion to black people. The part about this is based on a study determining what an equivalent value would be to the original amount promised.

no one in the entire article says that this should be pursued. In fact, at least six different approaches are given and more commentary beyond that from different points of view is also given.

I’m guessing that not one person who has posted in this thread has actually even read the article.

the article had a lot more diverse discussion than this thread which is not surprising at all.
The article is vapid pandering to a “what if” scenario, because it’s full of white guilt and rug sweeping by making the assumption that if we could “cut a check” to the decedents of slaves it will somehow “fix” the current problem. It won’t because the problem isn’t slavery it’s racism.
You can’t pay racism away, and even if you could it would only make it worse as the racists would use it to justify their racism and resent the hand out.

Marlowe

In the OP's link it says that it is not just about money. I am white but we have a melting-pot family with varying skin colors. I do not know what this black activists want. Slavery was abolished. Apologies have been made. Equal opportunity is enforced and protected. Scholarships, financial aid is given to minorities etc. So what do these people want? Other countries have had slavery but descendants of slaves there do not act the way we see the recent protestors acting.

In the article it said: "It's acknowledgement by a nation that they did something wrong." we have done that more than once. What is it going to take?

rainerann

Star
The article is vapid pandering to a “what if” scenario, because it’s full of white guilt and rug sweeping by making the assumption that if we could “cut a check” to the decedents of slaves it will somehow “fix” the current problem. It won’t because the problem isn’t slavery it’s racism.
You can’t pay racism away, and even if you could it would only make it worse as the racists would use it to justify their racism and resent the hand out.
there is no white guilt in this article. It is a plain reality that slavery happened. It is a plain reality that reparations were never given. Discussing this reality has nothing to do with white guilt unless you can quote the part in the article that says, “white people should be ashamed of their racist past and seek to pay reparations as quickly as possible.”

However, there is nothing like this in the article and claiming that Talking about reparations is always about inspiring white guilt is the same thing as saying we shouldn’t talk about history so that we don’t make white people feel bad.

suck it up. Talking about slavery and reparations only creates white guilt when you struggle with insecurity over the reality that it happened.

I personally have always supported confession of sin as something freeing and healthy, so I have no problem With this. And if we really want to get to a place where people stop talking about things like this, we need to find a way to close this chapter which is why I support some kind of reparation.

but most people seem to enjoy being baited against each other most of the time instead of trying to find a solution. I like to be more practical and find a solution. Reparations creates an opportunity for a solution. Instead of people talking about white guilt, they would have this gesture to bring into a discussion.

instead of people talking about racism as though nothing has changed in 200 years, they would have this to consider in discussion because it would allow us to finally see the period of slavery as something that was truly in the past. Like a boundary marker.

It is also an actionable solution rather than another 20 years of empty debates and continues division and disagreement.

rainerann

Star
In the OP's link it says that it is not just about money. I am white but we have a melting-pot family with varying skin colors. I do not know what this black activists want. Slavery was abolished. Apologies have been made. Equal opportunity is enforced and protected. Scholarships, financial aid is given to minorities etc. So what do these people want? Other countries have had slavery but descendants of slaves there do not act the way we see the recent protestors acting.

In the article it said: "It's acknowledgement by a nation that they did something wrong." we have done that more than once. What is it going to take?
reparations are a historical loose end considering they were never given. Giving reparations, like our country said they would create the opportunity to close that period of our history with more integrity.

it is good to find practical ways to create peace with others. Providing some form of reparations that counts as reparations that were never given is a practical way to stop the arguing over this issue.

we don’t need to sit in the debate hall for the next 20 years hoping someone is going to have a better argument that will persuade everyone to agree with the same platform. That seems to be what people seem to think somehow. Someday everyone will agree with the same things if we keep fighting to bring them into discussion.

It is really like our country is a dysfunctional family arguing for hours over where to eat dinner instead of finding something they have in common to help find a solution. Closing this loose end creates a solution that we have in common with other americans since we share a common history.

the real problem is that people like to argue and compete through arguing, more than they like to have peace with others. I prefer peace.

AlcyoneSong

Established
there is no white guilt in this article. It is a plain reality that slavery happened. It is a plain reality that reparations were never given. Discussing this reality has nothing to do with white guilt unless you can quote the part in the article that says, “white people should be ashamed of their racist past and seek to pay reparations as quickly as possible.”

However, there is nothing like this in the article and claiming that Talking about reparations is always about inspiring white guilt is the same thing as saying we shouldn’t talk about history so that we don’t make white people feel bad.

suck it up. Talking about slavery and reparations only creates white guilt when you struggle with insecurity over the reality that it happened.

I personally have always supported confession of sin as something freeing and healthy, so I have no problem With this. And if we really want to get to a place where people stop talking about things like this, we need to find a way to close this chapter which is why I support some kind of reparation.

but most people seem to enjoy being baited against each other most of the time instead of trying to find a solution. I like to be more practical and find a solution. Reparations creates an opportunity for a solution. Instead of people talking about white guilt, they would have this gesture to bring into a discussion.

instead of people talking about racism as though nothing has changed in 200 years, they would have this to consider in discussion because it would allow us to finally see the period of slavery as something that was truly in the past. Like a boundary marker.

It is also an actionable solution rather than another 20 years of empty debates and continues division and disagreement.

sooo write a check and sweep it under the rug... wow
And who is going to foot the bill?

rainerann

Star
sooo write a check and sweep it under the rug... wow
And who is going to foot the bill?
this country wastes so much money on military, we could have already paid for it a long time ago and been done with it.

and it is attitudes like yours that motivate people to hang on to this reality of history. The fact of the matter is that the government said they would pay reparations and they never did.

The people who fought in the revolutionary war were upset when they weren’t paid as promised too. People complained that the veterans were even being greedy at one point for asking for pensions.

if the government said they would pay, the government should pay just like in any other case where they have been in the same situation. If the government has to pay veterans because they said they would, the government should be accountable to paying reparations.

Personally, I believe in being generous and have no qualms about money being given for this purpose anyway.

there is a proverb in the Bible that says a generous man will never be in want that I’m reminded of when I think of this issue. but oddly enough, it is people that claim to be Christian who start acting like Judas complaining about Mary anointing Jesus with oil instead of selling it for money to give to the poor. These are just the excuses of people who like to pretend to worthy of praise for some higher place of morality but don’t want to give when it could potentially create peace.

Technically, the Bible also says blessed are the peacemakers and faith without works is dead, but many people ignore these things because for some reason you don’t have to follow Christ when you’re busy trying to prove that the left is of the devil. This is much more important work than giving and trying to create peace. This is much more important than being generous And just another reason that the right has failed miserably to demonstrate that they have any real leadership ability.

Aero

Superstar
Sooo nothing for nothing... yep empty words. Nothing will change.
If we let the goofy-ass American politicians do this, it will end up as you say. Just look into the small business loans the government and banks handed out during Covid-19. Like how many loans do we think actually went to main street? Maybe 10%, so 90% went to big corporations and banks who literally shouldn't need extra capital.

How genius, I mean yes lets give CEO's checks from the government. Nevermind the fact that the CEO's of America have handled Covid-19 a million times worse than Trump. One might argue the typical CEO mentality of desperately trying to wish the pandemic away has really exacerbated the whole thing.

A few weeks ago I brought up how if we don't change our culture than we are only pissing in the wind. It sounds so simple, but the main problem is if cronyism developed a conscious none of the people who have a lot of stuff would keep said stuff. Keep in mind we are talking about people with no talent, and no drive to improve on anything besides their own illusionary bankroll. Or they get off on purposely ruining whatever they can.

In any case, my thoughts and words on culture have already been used like I'm here to piggyback the old screwball politicians. Honestly I probably shouldn't complain, because if I piggyback them I can just drop them on their useless heads. They don't even see the difference is that my words and thoughts aren't empty.

AlcyoneSong

Established
this country wastes so much money on military, we could have already paid for it a long time ago and been done with it.

and it is attitudes like yours that motivate people to hang on to this reality of history. The fact of the matter is that the government said they would pay reparations and they never did.

The people who fought in the revolutionary war were upset when they weren’t paid as promised too. People complained that the veterans were even being greedy at one point for asking for pensions.

if the government said they would pay, the government should pay just like in any other case where they have been in the same situation. If the government has to pay veterans because they said they would, the government should be accountable to paying reparations.

Personally, I believe in being generous and have no qualms about money being given for this purpose anyway.

there is a proverb in the Bible that says a generous man will never be in want that I’m reminded of when I think of this issue. but oddly enough, it is people that claim to be Christian who start acting like Judas complaining about Mary anointing Jesus with oil instead of selling it for money to give to the poor. These are just the excuses of people who like to pretend to worthy of praise for some higher place of morality but don’t want to give when it could potentially create peace.

Technically, the Bible also says blessed are the peacemakers and faith without works is dead, but many people ignore these things because for some reason you don’t have to follow Christ when you’re busy trying to prove that the left is of the devil. This is much more important work than giving and trying to create peace. This is much more important than being generous And just another reason that the right has failed miserably to demonstrate that they have any real leadership ability.
*facepalm*
You seriously think this is a Democrat/Republican issue when it has NOTHING to do with either party. Both parties have racist selfish people in them, BOTH parties are flawed, and what you are asking is that the American people today foot the bill for things done 150 years ago because somehow by throwing money at the problem it will magically make it go away.

Or maybe ... you are suggesting that by paying reparations we can then say "Well you got paid... so shut up"

Which is also stupid because if you watched Hamilton you would know the only way to stop being blackmailed is to expose the truth no matter how ugly and painful it is. I choose the latter. I choose to expose the racism that led to the legislation which led to the suffering of African Americans, the denial of their rights as free citizens, and the fucking reason we have the economic disparity that has led to the current wealth gap.

Slavery is an institution created by people to take the rights and freedoms away from another group of people irregardless of race. It exists today, and unless you recognize the difference between racism which is a mental thing and slavery which is an institution then reparations is putting a band aid on a gushing wound that needs to be stitched.

Money has never created peace, it never has, it never will. I mean sure, you do you, if you want to donate your money to this cause by all means go for it. Being generous and being smart are two different things, it's great to be generous but don't fall into the trap of thinking money will somehow make it better. It doesn't do shit. Judas got paid 10 denarius for selling Jesus out, he killed himself. Mary washed Jesus' feet with her hair and the oil she got from a lover. She saw his resurrection. She was reborn.

Yet money in both cases is the neutral thing, it's not good, it's not bad it just is.

On paper reparations look great, but what happens AFTER. That's my issue.

rainerann

Star
*facepalm*
You seriously think this is a Democrat/Republican issue when it has NOTHING to do with either party. Both parties have racist selfish people in them, BOTH parties are flawed, and what you are asking is that the American people today foot the bill for things done 150 years ago because somehow by throwing money at the problem it will magically make it go away.

Or maybe ... you are suggesting that by paying reparations we can then say "Well you got paid... so shut up"

Which is also stupid because if you watched Hamilton you would know the only way to stop being blackmailed is to expose the truth no matter how ugly and painful it is. I choose the latter. I choose to expose the racism that led to the legislation which led to the suffering of African Americans, the denial of their rights as free citizens, and the fucking reason we have the economic disparity that has led to the current wealth gap.

Slavery is an institution created by people to take the rights and freedoms away from another group of people irregardless of race. It exists today, and unless you recognize the difference between racism which is a mental thing and slavery which is an institution then reparations is putting a band aid on a gushing wound that needs to be stitched.

Money has never created peace, it never has, it never will. I mean sure, you do you, if you want to donate your money to this cause by all means go for it. Being generous and being smart are two different things, it's great to be generous but don't fall into the trap of thinking money will somehow make it better. It doesn't do shit. Judas got paid 10 denarius for selling Jesus out, he killed himself. Mary washed Jesus' feet with her hair and the oil she got from a lover. She saw his resurrection. She was reborn.

Yet money in both cases is the neutral thing, it's not good, it's not bad it just is.

On paper reparations look great, but what happens AFTER. That's my issue.
It’s about having integrity. Our country said they would pay reparations and never did. Reparations is not some new phenomenon considered as a solution to present racial tensions. It was supposed to be part the process of reversing the damage of slavery.

Slavery may have ended 150 years ago, but the agreement made when slavery ended to pay reparations was never completed. This is just a reality that you can pretend that doesn’t count because it is 2020, but it really still does. If you say you are going to do something, you should do it on an individual level or as a collective nation in this case.

Wigi

Veteran
It’s about having integrity. Our country said they would pay reparations and never did. Reparations is not some new phenomenon considered as a solution to present racial tensions. It was supposed to be part the process of reversing the damage of slavery.

Slavery may have ended 150 years ago, but the agreement made when slavery ended to pay reparations was never completed. This is just a reality that you can pretend that doesn’t count because it is 2020, but it really still does. If you say you are going to do something, you should do it on an individual level or as a collective nation in this case.
I understand what you're saying and I mostly agree but a measure that looks even worse than the treaty of versailles won't fix the demons conveniently unleashed on American society today. The question of reparations isn't brought up by a consensus of people agreeing with it after an healthy debate but it's clearly brought up in a vindicative manner after destroyed statues to split the opinion even more. Apparently Joe Biden said he obviously agrees with this policy and somehow people have to believe he will do such things and bring peace while he said to Afghans who have been unjustly attacked by US forces because of him:

“There’s no possibility to unite that country, no possibility at all of making it a whole country,”

Reparation is clearly a red herring serving as a political argument to gain votes. No sane country looks back to the past with current sjw lens to ask today's citizens to pay with cash for the crimes of ancestors.