Exegesis of Isaiah 42

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
that was when David was alive, the past, before Jesus Christ.
The isaiah 42 prophecy is post-Christ

you guys just can't stop scoring Ls on this forum.
The Isaiah 42 prophecy starts with Christ and finishes with him!

Isaiah 61 is an interesting case in point to cross reference with Luke 4:18 (the part quoted highlighted in bold.

Compare Luke 4

Jesus Rejected at Nazareth

(Isaiah 61:1-11; Matthew 2:19-23; Matthew 13:53-58; Mark 6:1-6; Luke 2:39-40)

16And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.17And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. 20And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.21And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

With Isaiah 61

1The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

2To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

3To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

4And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.

In this passage the future rebuilding of old wastes (that had yet to be laid waste at the time of the Luke 4 comments) had not taken place. Even more significant in its connection to Isaiah 42, the day of vengeance was yet to come.

Regardless, Jesus noted that the first part of the passage had been fulfilled in their hearing.

Last edited:

JoChris

Superstar
With a view to breaking down the people and locations, I suggest taking one piece at a time...

So "The Rock" or "Sela" - where is it, Sela Medina or something contemporary with Isaiah?

Sela (Arabic: السلع‎, Hebrew: סֶּלַע‎, transliteration Sela‛, meaning rock; Arabic: as-Sala‛; Greek: πέτρα; Latin: petra) was the capital of Edom, situated in the great valley extending from the Dead Sea to the Red Sea (2 Kings 14:7). It was near Mount Hor, close by the desert of Zin. It is called "the rock" (Judges 1:36). When Amaziah of Judah took it he called it Joktheel (also spelled Jokteel (JPS) and Jectehel(DRB)) (q.v.) (Hebrew: יָקְתְאֵל‎, Yoqtĕ-’Ēl, "the blessedness of God" or "subdued by God";[1]Latin: Jectehel) or Kathoel (Greek: Καθοηλ) in the Septuagint. It is mentioned by the prophets (Isaiah 15:1; 16:1; Obadiah 1:3) as doomed to destruction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sela_(Edom)

Petra was the Capital of Edom

View attachment 18683

http://www.biblehistory.net/newsletter/petra.htm
All I am going to say is that it continually amazes me that according to Muhammad (approximately 6 century AD) knows better than the Jews who recorded the incidents usually around the same timeslot....
Actual eyewitnesses/ people who knew eyewitnesses/ people who talk to eyewitnesses should be taken seriously, not one individual man's speculations/ (alleged) visions many centuries later.