Exchistians who converted to Hinduism

Axl888

Established
Some people think it was cool back in the 60s-70s...didn't the Beatles and other musicians/celebrities dabbled with it back then, though I am not sure if they were really Christians.

manama

Star
Have you ever read any Hindu texts? I'm curious.
I'm south Asian, i get more interaction with hinduism than i would prefer.

Why not? It's got no more or less reason/logic than any other religion. Just seems like a lot of work, but there are plenty of people converting to Orthodox Judaism too.
Feels like a downgrade. Worshiping an unseeable god that happens to have three forms still looks less insane to me than worshiping plants, animals, stars and thousands other gods that all happen to have failed marriages and are constantly cheating on each other and are also, apparently, awful parents.

How am i supposed to pray to a god of love to save my marriage when the god himself got cheated on.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The purpose of this thread is to break away from the delusion that only people convert to Christianity. We've already got too many threads about people who converted to Christianity.
Unlike Islam, Christians are aware that sometimes people who have identified as Christians might depart from the faith and either become atheists or become involved with other religions*. Nonetheless, Jesus does not prescribe the death penalty for apostasy as is evidently both believed and applied by followers of Islam AND Hinduism.

*I personally can’t see how anyone who is truly born again would do this as the presence of the Holy Spirit, (who is present in the lives of genuine Christians) would not allow such people peace when doing this.

Unlike Islam, Christians are aware that sometimes people who have identified as Christians might depart from the faith and either become atheists or become involved with other religions.
Not at all, we are aware that exmuslims are a thing (in fact I often debate them). Ex-everything is a thing. The amount of people who convert from one religion to another for any number of reasons is prolific. People leave religions, it's a fact. Christianity has no monopoly here.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Not at all, we are aware that exmuslims are a thing (in fact I often debate them). Ex-everything is a thing. The amount of people who convert from one religion to another for any number of reasons is prolific. People leave religions, it's a fact. Christianity has no monopoly here.
I am glad you acknowledge this. Some Muslims I have interacted with have inferred that Nabeel Qureshi was not originally a Muslim.

To the other question, do you think it is morally just to sanction people who leave a religion (from cutting them off right through to killing them?)

I would be interested in your perspective as a Muslim/Hindu?

I am glad you acknowledge this. Some Muslims I have interacted with have inferred that Nabeel Qureshi was not originally a Muslim.
Maybe they're correct, I don't know because I don't know who that person is, it's a hot-topic at the moment so I don't find it unrealistic that there would be cashing in on (literally making money) the 'exmuslim' label. But as I've said, I don't know that guy so I can't say.
Disgruntled Exchristian Atheists in general are such a massive part of the American demographic that I don't really think there's as much room for profit there.

To the other question, do you think it is morally just to sanction people who leave a religion (from cutting them off right through to killing them?)
Of course not, that is a man-made idea enforced without justification. The Islamic position historically is largely one of interaction and trade with other groups from other places. The traditional Islamic position (socially) is to keep to yourself. In general it hardly matters outside of the core worship places what somebody is.
Theologically, God is most-merciful, the door is never closed to anybody (except upon death itself). The Qur'an itself also has the motif that "some people will just not believe, let them be if they are peaceful".