Everything we know about Fruit and veg is wrong.............................

kittybratxx

Established

Dalit

Star
That's amazing! Eggplant looked more like tomatoes, but of course, tomatoes were smaller, too. Organically grown fruits and veggies are smaller and usually taste better so it's worth the increased price. The best produce would still be home-grown, right, yet it would still produce more modern looking fruits and veggies.

mecca

Superstar
It's just selective breeding, people breed the plants that have the traits they want. Artificial selection caused the plants to look different over time.

Vixy

Star
I never believed in all this diet crap but started a milk and gluten free diet about a month ago Bc I am sick in a serious disease. After two weeks my doc called me and was in awe. He couldnt believe my blood levels were normal! It usually takes years to get better if u dot have surgery but two weeks on it and I was normal, ofc it'll take years for me to get well-well but still. Impressive with all the inflammatory foods we get nowadays.

phipps

Star
Its a shame because with the newer breeds of fruit and veg, we can't get the same amount of nutrients as we would have with the older breeds.

manama

Star
Its a shame because with the newer breeds of fruit and veg, we can't get the same amount of nutrients as we would have with the older breeds.
Its the other way around. Fruits and vegetables now are way more nutritious than the used to be. Go back hundreds of years and most fruits didn't even have any kind of juice in them.

phipps

Star
Its the other way around. Fruits and vegetables now are way more nutritious than the used to be. Go back hundreds of years and most fruits didn't even have any kind of juice in them.
Does fruit having juice make them more nutritious?

mecca

Superstar
Plus some of them were almost inedible in the past lol. Now we have selectively bred many plants to make them easier to eat.

Last edited:

manama

Star
I think if something stays as close to nature as they are supposed to be, the more nutritious they are.
We like to "think" alot, doesn't mean our thoughts are facts.

And like Mecca pointed out before, this is selective breeding. These fruits and veggies are still natural.

Thunderian

Superstar
There is nothing wrong with breeding desirable qualities into fruits and vegetables.

Do you really wish your bananas still looked like this?

Actually, I think my wife would like these old bananas. She likes guava and pomegranate, so a hard green banana with lots of seeds would probably be right up her alley.

phipps

Star
We like to "think" alot, doesn't mean our thoughts are facts.

And like Mecca pointed out before, this is selective breeding. These fruits and veggies are still natural.
I didn't say the fruits and veggies are not natural, they just aren't what they used to be. So lets agree to disagree.

manama

Star
I didn't say the fruits and veggies are not natural, they just aren't what they used to be. So lets agree to disagree.
No, you said that you think that the way they 'used' to be was closer to nature and thus more healthy. And that is absolutely not true. Agree to disagree is fine but that wouldn't change actual facts.

phipps

Star
No, you said that you think that the way they 'used' to be was closer to nature and thus more healthy. And that is absolutely not true. Agree to disagree is fine but that wouldn't change actual facts.
I meant the original fruit and veg was not tampered with and hybridized and therefore was more nutritious. But all fruit and veg are natural. Of course they are, they are grown in the soil even though a lot of pesticides are used on most fruit and veg people buy nowadays. I think we are missing out on certain nutrients from the none hybridized fruit and veg and we can't make a choice if we like them or not. That chance was taken from us.

Last edited:

manama

Star
I meant the original fruit and veg was not tampered with and hybridized and therefore was more nutritious. But all fruit and veg are natural. Of course they are, they are grown in the soil even though a lot of pesticides are used on most fruit and veg people buy nowadays. I think we are missing out on certain nutrients from the none hybridized fruit and veg and we can't make a choice if welike them or not. That chance was taken from us.
However, it is a known fact that fruit now is more nutritious than the original. If you say otherwise you are clearly wrong unless you have some source to back it up.

phipps

Star
However, it is a known fact that fruit now is more nutritious than the original. If you say otherwise you are clearly wrong unless you have some source to back it up.
Well I disagree with those facts. I grew up in Africa and I know just by taste that fruit and veg are not what they used to be. For starters they are much larger with less of the taste. Even in Africa fruit and veg aren't what they used to be. They've lost a lot of nutrients. My experience says different. My mind isn't going to change so I'll live it at that.