Eternal Security/Once saved always saved.

Journeyman

Established
I'm no theologian, but I think it's something of a trap, a deception designed to ensnare people. There's people online who are bragging about being saved no matter what they do. It seems like foolishness to me.

Alanantic

Veteran
Well thats interesting, Im abit on the fence but lean to wards eternal security.

I mean working out your own salvation, I dunno. Maybe we are all judged differently on our circumstances, who knows.
"All these sufferings are man-made and it is within man's power to put an end to them. God helps by facing man with the results of his actions and demanding that the balance should be restored. (As you sow, so shall you reap.) Karma is the law that works for righteousness; it is the healing hand of God." -- Nisargadatta

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
My view in 3 videos!!!

1: The various views

2: Verses supporting eternal security (and discussion)

3: Verses interpreted as casting doubt on eternal security (and discussion)

^ I am quite happy to discuss any of the above @seekinheart

Maldarker

Established
Well thats interesting, Im abit on the fence but lean to wards eternal security.

I mean working out your own salvation, I dunno. Maybe we are all judged differently on our circumstances, who knows.
You know that's from Philippians right? here is the best part of that: for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his purpose.”

phipps

Star
There is no such thing as eternal security in the Bible. It is not God's doctrine at all.

John 10:27-28, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand."

Many Christians are taught to think that being saved is a one time event. They say Jesus gives us eternal life, and we can never be snatched out of His hand. However, notice above verses say that He gives eternal life to those who are following Him. Also, even though no one can snatch us out of His hand, we are still always free to walk out of His hand, to go our own way. We were all created with free will. Even when we are saved we still have free will. God never takes it away from us. Our choice to be saved and choose Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour and live according to His will and standards is what seals our destiny. However we can choose to stop believing and living according to God's will and walk away from Him and choose to leave our lives as we see fit. We can all lose salvation depending on our choices.

In fact the Bible tells us what will happen to those who were once saved but chose to walk away from God:

Ezekiel 18:24, “But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All the righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; because of the unfaithfulness of which he is guilty and the sin which he has committed, because of them he shall die."

Hebrews 10:26-28, "For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses."

2 Peter 2:20, "For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning." There are many more biblical warnings against apostasy. Why would the Bible have such solemn threats and admonitions of losing salvation eternally if professed Christians were not in danger of losing it? If "once saved always saved" was true shouldn't have someone sent the devil a memo? He would not waste his time tempting Christians since it would be impossible to cause them to be lost. Yet, we all know by experience that the devil works even harder to pull away the saints from following Christ.

Salvation is a process. The Bible states very clearly that we can only continue as partakers of Messiah if we hold fast our confidence and our faith firmly until the end. We have to have a continual relationship with Jesus, the source of eternal life to the end. Those who don't hold on to Jesus to the end will not make it.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Striving for a Crown

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain
it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

Plus there is the book of life which anyone's name can be taken out of (Exodus 32:33, Revelation 3:5, 22:18-19). I have a thread on this subject. This post talks about the book of life.

In the Bible there are conditions to being saved. What are those conditions?

- Belief in Jesus Christ (John 3:16; 14:1; Acts 16:31; 1 John 3:23)

- Repentance and confession of sin (Acts 2:38-39; 1 John 1:9; 2 Chronicles 7:14).

- Obedience (Matthew 7:22-24; 1 John 2:3-4, Revelation 22:14).

- Baptism (Mark 16:16; John 3:5; Acts 2:38-39; 1 Corinthians 12:13, 27)

- Loving and having faith In Christ.

"Once saved always saved" is a man made doctrine that gives Christians licence to sin. It makes them think they are secure because they are saved and nothing they do can make them lose that salvation. It teaches that sin can be excused since forgiveness is already given in advance. It teaches that one can be saved without his/her own choice. It abolishes and destroys the law. Why would any Christian be obedient if they are saved anyway? It advocates that one can be saved in sin instead of from sin. All of this contradicts the Word of God and therefore God since the Bible is His inspired Word. So obviously "Once saved always saved" is a doctrine from Satan.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
I have a thread titled "Does God place Conditions on His Gift of Salvation?" In one of the posts (they are not my words) is written:

Salvation is free, but not cheap

You may have heard the expression, “Salvation is free, but not cheap”—in contrast to the “cheap grace” so many seem to effectively believe in. God’s gift of life to us cost Jesus Christ His life. He, the very Son of God, willingly surrendered His life so that we might receive God’s wonderful gift of eternal life. And it cost the Father, who “gave His only begotten Son” (John 3:16).

But God expects us to surrender our lives in return, as Jesus states in Luke 14:33: So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple."

Accepting God’s gift of eternal life comes at the highest cost we can imagine. As Jesus Christ gave His life for us, we must be willing to give our lives to follow Him!

So returning to the question at the beginning, does God place conditions on His gift of salvation? Clearly the answer is yes. His Word spells out the conditions. Let us be sure, as Hebrews 2:3 exhorts us, that we not “neglect so great a salvation”!

Daze

Veteran
What are the christians on the forums thoughts on this doctrine?
Thats funny. I knew before i even opened this thread it would say "discuss" or 'your thoughts".

Remember when you were Muslim for a day Seek? I do.

TokiEl

Superstar
Matthew 7 15Beware of false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20So then, by their fruit you will recognize them.

21Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’

23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’

Show me your fruits... and i will tell you if you'll make it.

No as the Lord said... check their/your fruit.

We're not talking about apples and oranges here guys... but good produces good and bad produces bad.

Last edited: