Elijah, John the Baptist and Predestination

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I have been thinking about an interesting question @AspiringSoul had asked me on what was going on with John the Baptist and Elijah.

The Bible is quite clear that John the Baptist is called “Elijah” because he came in the “spirit and power of Elijah” (Luke 1:17), not because he was Elijah in a literal sense. John the Baptist is the New Testament forerunner who points the way to the arrival of the Lord, just as Elijah filled that role in the Old Testament (and might again in the future—see Revelation 11).

What is very interesting to me is how John is described in Matthew 11...

"7As they went away, Jesus began to speak to the crowds concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 8What then did you go out to see? A man dressed in soft clothing? Behold, those who wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses. 9What then did you go out to see? A prophet?c Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10This is he of whom it is written,

“‘Behold, I send my messenger before your face,
who will prepare your way before you.’

11Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force. 13For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John,14and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come. 15He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Continuing a bit, Luke 3 describes what John came preaching...

"4As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

5Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;

6And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

7Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. 9And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire."

John was a straight talker. His message was timely and some people didn't like it. Nonetheless God sent him to bring it at a crucial time. I had a difference in view with @Lisa recently, yet on reflection I can see that there is ultimately no politically correct and popular way to challenge people to repentance - the King is Coming, make straight the path is the message that has to go out. I would rather people didn't like me, but know I told them the truth, than politely agreeing to disagree over issues of eternal importance.

With Jerusalem becoming a "cup of trembling" and Zechariah 12 in the news headlines, there might never be a better time to listen to your nearest John the Baptist and make your own path straight.

Just saying...

TokiEl

Superstar
"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus:

Who, existing in the form of God,
did not consider equality with God something to cling to,
but emptied Himself,
taking the form of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
He humbled Himself and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross.

Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place,
and gave Him the name above all names,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father."

- Philippians 2:5-11 -

floss

Star
I would rather people didn't like me, but know I told them the truth, than politely agreeing to disagree over issues of eternal importance.
Amen brother!

You will be hated for speaking the truth, but rejoice in persecution!

Galatians 4:16King James Version (KJV)
16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Matthew 5:11King James Version (KJV)
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

We can only warn the lost here with scriptures, either they bow to Jesus now or they WILL later. Grace is expiring...

Philippians 2:10King James Version (KJV)
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Yahda

Veteran
Isaiah 45:21.....There is no other God but me. A righteous God and savior there is NONE besides me. Turn to me and be saved all the ends of the earth. For I am God and there is NO ONE ELSE.

BY MYSELF I have sworn. The word has gone out of my mouth in righteousness and it will not return.

TO ME ( God) every knee will bow and every tongue will confess loyalty.

elsbet

Superstar
Isaiah 45:21.....There is no other God but me. A righteous God and savior there is NONE besides me. Turn to me and be saved all the ends of the earth. For I am God and there is NO ONE ELSE.

BY MYSELF I have sworn. The word has gone out of my mouth in righteousness and it will not return.

TO ME ( God) every knee will bow and every tongue will confess loyalty.
Indeed... there is no other God before Jehovah.

'I and the Father are one.'

Vytas

Star
Meh people trash our faith, and at the same time expect us to meet "higher standard". Our Religion is bs but we must be better than others because same bs religion requires it. Confusing isn't it? We can learn here who is zionist, who is a bad Christian , who pretends to be Christian and so on...If I would make a thread only from epithets read here about us it would be 5 pages of insults...Some people reach a point where they don't care anymore...Being religious doesn't makes us invulnerable to trashing, insults and constant hate. And sometimes you really prefer kicking someones ass instead of caring about being good ambassador...

elsbet

Superstar
Meh people trash our faith, and at the same time expect us to meet "higher standard". Our Religion is bs but we must be better than others because same bs religion requires it. Confusing isn't it? We can learn here who is zionist, who is a bad Christian , who pretends to be Christian and so on...If I would make a thread only from epithets read here about us it would be 5 pages of insults...Some people reach a point where they don't care anymore...Being religious doesn't makes us invulnerable to trashing, insults and constant hate. And sometimes you really prefer kicking someones ass instead of caring about being good ambassador...

Aww, come on @Vytas

You put the ass in ambassador.

:D
I kid, I kid!

Vytas

Star
I both hear and sympathize with you @Vytas, but y'all volunteered for the job and you are held to a higher behavioral standard, even if that higher standard cannot always be easily upheld.
Tough to argue with you , maybe because you are right :D Still there is human in every ambassador...Perhaps we should want to meet that standard, but none of are finished product.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
If we waited till we were the "finished article" none of us would even start!!! The willingness to go and "work in the Vineyard" when our Lord calls us is all he is looking for. If we have our hearts open to His guidence and realise that in our own strength we can do nothing, we are on the right track!!!

Forever Light

Veteran
Indeed... there is no other God before Jehovah.

'I and the Father are one.'
King of kings' Bible, John
10:31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
10:32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I showed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your Law, I said, Ye are gods?
10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the Word of God came, and the Scripture cannot be broken;
10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
10:37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father [is] in me, and I in Him.

17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to Thee. Holy Father, keep through Thine own name those whom Thou hast given me, that they may be one, as We [are].

17:21 That they all may be one; as Thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in Thee, that they also may be one in Us: that the world may believe that Thou hast sent me.
17:22 And the glory which Thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as We are One:
17:23 I in them, and Thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that Thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as Thou hast loved me.
17:24 Father, I will that they also, whom Thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my Glory, which Thou hast given me: for Thou lovedst me BEFORE the foundation of the world.

Last edited:

Vytas

Star
If we waited till we were the "finished article" none of us would even start!!! The willingness to go and "work in the Vineyard" when our Lord calls us is all he is looking for. If we have our hearts open to His guidence and realise that in our own strength we can do nothing, we are on the right track!!!

I other words
Joh 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease.