Ebionites- Early Jewish Christians and Islamic Christology

DavidSon

Star
The subject of the Ebionites, Nazarenes, and other early sects was brought up here by @Serveto and a few of the older members. Recently a childishly generic description of the "Poor Ones" was posted, but searching a bit deeper I think this part of history is worth understanding clearly.

"Ebionites (Greek: Ἐβιωναῖοι, Ebionaioi, derived from Hebrew אביונים ebyonim, ebionim, meaning "the poor" or "poor ones") is a patristic term referring to a Jewish Christian movement that existed during the early centuries of the Christian Era. They regarded Jesus of Nazareth as the Messiah while rejecting his divinity and his virgin birth, and insisted on the necessity of following Jewish law and rites. They used only one of the Jewish–Christian gospels, the Hebrew Book of Matthew starting at chapter three; revered James, the brother of Jesus (James the Just); and rejected Paul the Apostle as an apostate from the Law. Their name suggests that they placed a special value on voluntary poverty."

"The majority of Church Fathers agree that the Ebionites rejected many of the precepts central to Nicene orthodoxy, such as Jesus' pre-existence, divinity, virgin birth, atoning death and physical resurrection. On the other hand, an Ebionite story has Jesus eating bread with his brother, Jacob ("James the Just"), after the resurrection, which indicates that they, or at least the ones who accepted this version of the Gospel of the Hebrews, believed in a physical resurrection of Jesus."

"The Ebionites are described as emphasizing the oneness of God and the humanity of Jesus as the biological son of Mary and Joseph, who, by virtue of his righteousness, was chosen by God to be the messianic "prophet like Moses" when he was anointed with the Holy Spirit at his baptism. Origen and Eusebius recognize some variation in the Christology of Ebionite groups; for example, that while all denied Jesus' pre-existence, there was a sub-group which did not deny the virgin birth. Theodoret, while dependent on earlier writers, draws the conclusion that the two sub-groups would have used different Gospels."

"The 12th century Muslim historian Muhammad al-Shahrastani mentions Jews living in nearby Medina and Hejaz who accepted Jesus as a prophetic figure and followed traditional Judaism, rejecting mainstream Christian views. Some scholars argue that they contributed to the development of the Islamic view of Jesus due to exchanges of Ebionite remnants with the first Muslims."

"... Paul Addae and Tim Bowes write that the Ebionites were faithful to the original teachings of Jesus and thus shared Islamic views about Jesus' humanity and also rejected the redemptive death, though the Islamic view of Jesus may conflict with the view of some Ebionites regarding the virgin birth, respectively denying and affirming, according to Epiphanius. One of the first men to believe in the prophethood of Muhammad was possibly an Ebionite (sometimes argued to be Nestorian) monk named Waraqah ibn Nawfal, the cousin of Mohammed's wife Khadija, who Muslims honor as a pious man with deep knowledge of the Christian scriptures."

"Hans Joachim Schoeps observes that the Christianity Muhammad was likely to have encountered on the Arabian peninsula "was not the state religion of Byzantium but a schismatic Christianity characterized by Ebionite and Monophysite views:

"Thus we have a paradox of world-historical proportions, viz., the fact that Jewish Christianity indeed disappeared within the Christian church, but was preserved in Islam and thereby extended some of its basic ideas even to our own day. According to Islamic doctrine, the Ebionite combination of Moses and Jesus found its fulfillment in Muhammad"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebionites

@35:00 (
Originally posted by @DesertRose)

http://www.academia.edu/Documents/in/Gospel_of_the_ebionites

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar
I missed the previous mention by @Serveto so I'm not sure of the point or direction of the thread. Their existence or the similarities? It sounds like an amalgamation of various theologies ... Judaism, Islam and Catholicism. Interesting stuff, anyway.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I missed the previous mention by @Serveto so I'm not sure of the point or direction of the thread. Their existence or the similarities? It sounds like an amalgamation of various theologies ... Judaism, Islam and Catholicism. Interesting stuff, anyway.
Perhaps the Ebonite variant of Christianity is the one that will most easily fit with the “Tri-faith Initiative”?

https://www.vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/the-trifaith-initiative-a-search-for-unity-or-a-prototype-for-a-one-world-religion.3866/

DesertRose

Superstar
One faith and One message throughout time.
One God who is Able and Willing to forgive all that repent without having to sacrifice an innocent or making you guilty for Adam's sin.
Good news Adam's repentance, peace be upon him ,was accepted and is an example for us all.
If you slip up ask the One God for forgiveness and have faith.
Ponder this well.....He is the All Merciful, All Forgiving All Compassionate and deserves all our prayers, glorification and praise.

In matters of faith, He has ordained for you that which He had enjoined upon Noah - and into which We gave thee [O Muhammad] insight through revelation as well as that which We had enjoined upon Abraham, and Moses, and Jesus: Steadfastly uphold the [true] faith, and do not break up your unity therein. And even though] that [unity of faith] to which thou callest them appears oppressive to those who are wont to ascribe to other beings or forces a share in His divinity, God draws unto Himself everyone who is willing, and guides unto Himself everyone who turns unto Him
Quran. - 42:13

And unto thee [O Prophet] have We vouchsafed this divine writ, setting forth the truth, confirming the truth of whatever there still remains of earlier revelations and determining what is true therein. Judge, then, between the followers of earlier revelation in accordance with what God has bestowed from on high, and do not follow their errant views, forsaking the truth that has come unto thee. Unto every one of you have We appointed a [different] law and way of life. And if God had so willed, He could surely have made you all one single community: but [He willed it otherwise] in order to test you by means of what He has vouchsafed unto, you. Vie, then, with one another in doing good works! Unto God you all must return; and then He will make you truly understand all that on which you were wont to differ.
Quran- 5:48

Last edited:

DavidSon

Star
Perhaps the Ebonite variant of Christianity is the one that will most easily fit with the “Tri-faith Initiative”?

https://www.vigilantcitizenforums.com/threads/the-trifaith-initiative-a-search-for-unity-or-a-prototype-for-a-one-world-religion.3866/
To me the subject has a greater meaning than inter-faith dialogue (which I think is positive BTW). Judaism as it stands today has little relation to Christianity and Islam. Their religion follows a private Talmud and denies Jesus the Messiah even existed.

History proves there's more to the story than what is commonly discussed. Hellenist, Pauline Christianity is not the only branch of followers and that's a fact. In the West we're taught how opposed Islam is to Christianity. In reality Muslims revere Jesus as a Messiah and look forward to His return! Islam was obviously DEEPLY influenced by some form of Nazarene Christianity. I wouldn't go so far as to call Islam a form of Christianity, but you don't find the connection fascinating?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
To some especially Catholic writers and thinkers, including John Cardinal Newman and Hilaire Belloc, Islam was and is essentially a Christian heresy. I sometimes call it, instead of Eastern Orthodoxy, mid-Eastern Unorthodoxy ;).
The cruellest deception would be to be cheated out of eternal life by a deception closely based on the truth.

F89A8E7E-AD05-453F-BA13-B361A08949B7.jpeg

John 14:6 King James Version (KJV)

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

DesertRose

Superstar
A Good question to ask: why did the Creator keep sending messengers renewing the faith?
People always end up worshiping righteous people with God and He (The Most High) sends the same message over and over again." Worship The One God."

Please call on the Elahi, that Prophet Jesus called to and ask for guidance. May He not forsake us from his good pleasure and paradise which will happen if we direct worship and prayers to other than him. He Can Encompass our wrongdoing with direct forgiveness for our sins. All forgiving, All Merciful.

May The Creator of the heavens and earth Guide us all to his straight path. He is the one that guides thankfully. Ameen!
“That is Jesus, the son of Mary—the word of truth about which they are in dispute. It is not [befitting] for Allah to take a son; exalted is He! When He decrees an affair, He only says to it, ‘Be,’ and it is. [Jesus said], ‘And indeed, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. That is a straight path’” (Q. 19:34-36).​
Was Jesus (AS) Muslim?

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Who were the Ebionites?
by Matt Slick
8/09/09

The Ebionites (a term that means ‘the poor’) were a Jewish-Christian religious group that believed in following the Old Testament laws. They denied that Jesus was God in flesh, taught that he was created and that God adopted* him at the time of his baptism. They were vegetarians, rejected the Apostle Paul’s teachings, and accepted only the gospel of Matthew1. They also denied the virgin birth but did affirm Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection.

1. Geisler, N. L., & Nix, W. E. (1996, c1986). A general introduction to the Bible, Chicago: Moody Press, p. 302 citing The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, pp. 438-39.

What is adoptionism?

Question: "What is adoptionism?"

Answer: Adoptionism is a heretical theology that claims Jesus was God’s adopted Son. Adoptionism teaches that, because of Jesus’ sinless life, God chose Him and adopted Him. Adoptionism also goes by the name dynamic monarchianism; it was declared a heresy by the church in the second century. Scripture makes it clear that adoptionism is not true. Jesus Christ is not adopted; He is “begotten” (John 3:16, KJV).

Adoptionism claims that, before His adoption, Jesus was a mere man, although sinless. However, we know, biblically, that all men are under the curse of Adam and there are no sinless men (Romans 5:12–14). Further, no man can be justified by the works of the Law (Romans 3:19–20). Jesus was sinless (2 Corinthians 5:20–21), but that was because He was not just a man; He was fully God, as well (John 1:1, 14). The pre-existence of Christ, the titles applied to Jesus, and the worship He received all bear witness of the divine nature of the Lord.

Adoptionism is disproved in the first few words of John’s gospel. John equates Jesus with “the Word of God” and says Jesus was “in the beginning with God.” In fact, “all things were made through him,” and “in him was life and the life was the light of men” (John 1:1–5). These are not statements one makes about a sinless man adopted by God. Furthermore, John points out that John the Baptist was sent to bear witness to the light (verse 14). If Jesus were simply a good man whose good deeds caught God’s attention and earned God’s love, the role of John the Baptist would be pointless. Prophecies in the Old Testament that anticipate Jesus’ virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14), crucifixion (Psalm 22), and atoning sacrifice (Isaiah 53:5, 12) would not make any sense if God simply “noticed” that Jesus was sinless and adopted Him after the fact.

Lastly, John says, “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:14). The phrase “one and only Son” is translated as “only begotten Son” in some other translations. The idea is that Jesus is the only one of His kind: He is uniquely God’s Son, the only One who shares the same divine nature as God. The Word “became flesh,” so He obviously had an existence before becoming human. Jesus was God’s only Son before He came to earth. Believers have been adopted into God’s family (Ephesians 1:5), but Jesus was always God’s unique Son.

Source

I really doubt there were Jews in Madina/Hejaz who believed in Jesus. That sounds like a jewish form of taqqiyah if anything.
The only reason jews migrated to places like Madina was to escape persecution from christians, which wouldn't happen (or not to such an extent) if they were believing in Jesus.

I also believe the Quran clearly identifies christians as trinitarians, so the idea that there was some other minor sect who were the 'legit christians' just makes no sense.
The Quran also says
(4) O ye who believe! Be ye helpers of Allah: As said Jesus the son of Mary to the disciples, "Who will be my helpers to (the work of) Allah?" Said the disciples, "We are Allah's helpers!" then a portion of the Children of Israel believed, and a portion disbelieved: But We gave power to those who believed, against their enemies, and they became the ones that prevailed.
(سورة الصف, As-Saff, Chapter #61, Verse #14)

the last part is important, the ones that prevailed..which form of christianity became dominant? it was Pauline christianity..and clearly God is saying HE gave them power.

I mean really, think this one through
(2) "And behold! I inspired the disciples to have faith in Me and Mine Messenger: they said, 'We have faith, and do thou bear witness that we bow to Allah as Muslims'".
(سورة المائدة, Al-Maaida, Chapter #5, Verse #111)

You think Allah would Inspire the disciples to believe in Jesus, only to allow them to be deceived by an imposter (Paul)? I have heard lots of muslims say that Peter was deceived by iblees when he saw the vision in the cloud (a vision through which the christians were told they could eat pork/non kosher foods). Not only did Peter believe in the vision, the other disciples of Jesus who were present believed him..just as they ALL believed in the testimony of Paul.

According to Islamic doctrine, the Ebionite combination of Moses and Jesus found its fulfillment in Muhammad"

there is no islamic doctrine claiming this.
The jews in the 7th century were expecting their jewish messiah, who unlike Jesus..would obey the law of Moses and he would also rule like David. They planted the spiritual/mental seed to receive such a person...but he wasn't given to them, why? read
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+26&version=NIV
more specifically the 'punishments' part.
You will plant seed in vain, because your enemies will eat it. 17 I will set my face against you so that you will be defeated by your enemies; those who hate you will rule over you, and you will flee even when no one is pursuing you.
Mohammad was the fruit of that seed.
Mohammad was exactly what the jews wanted for themselves, as opposed to someone like Jesus.

manama

Star
One faith and One message throughout time.
One God who is Able and Willing to forgive all that repent without having to sacrifice an innocent or making you guilty for Adam's sin.
Good news Adam's repentance, peace be upon him ,was accepted and is an example for us all.
If you slip up ask the One God for forgiveness and have faith.
Ponder this well.....He is the All Merciful, All Forgiving All Compassionate and deserves all our prayers, glorification and praise.

In matters of faith, He has ordained for you that which He had enjoined upon Noah - and into which We gave thee [O Muhammad] insight through revelation as well as that which We had enjoined upon Abraham, and Moses, and Jesus: Steadfastly uphold the [true] faith, and do not break up your unity therein. And even though] that [unity of faith] to which thou callest them appears oppressive to those who are wont to ascribe to other beings or forces a share in His divinity, God draws unto Himself everyone who is willing, and guides unto Himself everyone who turns unto Him
Quran. - 42:13

And unto thee [O Prophet] have We vouchsafed this divine writ, setting forth the truth, confirming the truth of whatever there still remains of earlier revelations and determining what is true therein. Judge, then, between the followers of earlier revelation in accordance with what God has bestowed from on high, and do not follow their errant views, forsaking the truth that has come unto thee. Unto every one of you have We appointed a [different] law and way of life. And if God had so willed, He could surely have made you all one single community: but [He willed it otherwise] in order to test you by means of what He has vouchsafed unto, you. Vie, then, with one another in doing good works! Unto God you all must return; and then He will make you truly understand all that on which you were wont to differ.
Quran- 5:48

Jonah a.s was the son of Jacob a.s? What?

Their religion follows a private Talmud and denies Jesus the Messiah even existed.
Just to clarify, the Talmud doesn’t deny Jesus, it acknowledges him but states he’s in Hell boiling in excrement:

“III NASHIM, IV Gittin 57a: 'Jesus is in hell and is being punished by being boiled in hot semen. Notrim (Nazarenes=Christians) are boiled in shit.' [In context See Erubin 21b. Whosoever disobeys the rabbis deserves death and will be punished by being boiled in hot excrement in hell.]” (source)

It’s also mentioned in this book: Jesus in The Talmud- by Paul Schafer

I think it’s also worthy to note that on the same site I referenced, it states there are parallels in the Talmudic and Christian Jesus; however, they are different; hence, the name the “Antichrist”.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Just to clarify, the Talmud doesn’t deny Jesus, it acknowledges him but states he’s in Hell boiling in excrement:

“III NASHIM, IV Gittin 57a: 'Jesus is in hell and is being punished by being boiled in hot semen. Notrim (Nazarenes=Christians) are boiled in shit.' [In context See Erubin 21b. Whosoever disobeys the rabbis deserves death and will be punished by being boiled in hot excrement in hell.]” (source)

It’s also mentioned in this book: Jesus in The Talmud- by Paul Schafer

I think it’s also worthy to note that on the same site I referenced, it states there are parallels in the Talmudic and Christian Jesus; however, they are different; hence, the name the “Antichrist”.
I guess, rather like the Book of Mormon, the Talmud acts as an “update”, in many ways blinding the minds of the readers to the original ideas in the Bible. To imagine that Rabbinic Judaism is closely connected to Biblical truth is to misunderstand its origins.

Serveto

Star
I guess, rather like the Book of Mormon, the Talmud acts as an “update”, in many ways blinding the minds of the readers to the original ideas in the Bible. To imagine that Rabbinic Judaism is closely connected to Biblical truth is to misunderstand its origins.
I would guess that the Karaites, who faught a long, valient ideological battle with the Talmudists, even if they have dwindled in the process and over time, would quite agree.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I would guess that the Karaites, who faught a long, valient ideological battle with the Talmudists, even if they have dwindled in the process and over time, would quite agree.
I guess it would be hard to fight even a dwindling ideological battle to remain between the two poles of Christianity and Talmudic Judaism, as the whole choice of direction pivots on the age old question asked by Jesus, “who do you say that I am?