Earworms

Carolyn

Star
Earworms are something that everybody probably gets, apparenlty is fairly common but the last few weeks Ive had them really bad they are affecting my sleep and everything, had them before but in the last few weeks its been so so bad its getting to the point its actually making me feel like I am loosing it, kept meaning to look it up for a few days and what I found today when I finally remembered is kinda a bit shocking, slightly relieved but at the same time its worrying because I do actually have OCD, not the kind that am mega paranoid about germs or like extreme checking on things and Ive been like this for years, for me its hoovering and doing this mad routine every night, honetly if I wasnt in so much pain or physically exhausted then I would be worse because I was in the past, have to hoover every night doesnt matter if we have visitors or what day of the year or anything is, done it on christmas night while everybody was still here, done it while we were having a party and I know nothing bads gonna happen but I still cant not do it, even if the floor looks completely spotless Ill still do it and I have to have a shower or bath every night, the only time I dont do these things is when I have a severe headache and I mean like sitting in a dark room, wearing sunglasses with my eyes closed kinda headache, agonising, even after I came home from hospital after brain surgery, was home one day and was back to my hoovering thing and a bath every night, occasionally if I alreay had a shower I might just go in and have a quick shower but not wash my hair but most times Ill still have another shower anyway.

So yeah a little bit OCD then I find this earworms stuff that says its linked to OCD hah and stress can make these things worse, having to move house, one of the most stressful things you can do in your life and I already done it just under a year ago!! I swear though the last few weeks Ive had about 3 different earworms and its like two lines from a song on repeat from the minute I wake up till I go to bed, now and then Ill get a brief reprive from it but it comes back again, the current ones been going for 2 fucking days!! Its starting to really really irritate the crap out of me, havent been sleeping right at all the last few weeks, insomnia and constant waking up most of the time when I am trying to go to sleep, its a wonder I havent lost my mind already!!

Anyway heres a couple of interesting links I found on earworms, just wondered if anybody else on here experiences this to the point where it drives you insane?? Or is it just little old dysfunctional broken me??

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4723199/
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/06/broken-record-syndrome-my-life-with-chronic-earworm

JoChris

Superstar
I hate earworms so much. I swear modern song tunes are designed to get stuck in your head. I avoid very recent pop music tunes like the plague.

When it starts, have you tried playing different styles of music of any variety to break the pattern in your head?

Carolyn

Star
Yep, only way to stop it is to try and keep my mind busy but as soon as I try and sleep or if am doing something that doesnt take any thinking back it comes, concentration is really bad too, its a nightmare the same two lines over and over and it doesnt make any difference if you know the lyrics your head makes things up to go in place of the words you dont know! Gonna try sleep got some sleep meditation music on am hoping thatll help a bit. Sometimes if you try and litsen to other music it might work for a while but then something ends up replacing it lol cant win!!

Maes17

Superstar
Earworms are something that everybody probably gets, apparenlty is fairly common but the last few weeks Ive had them really bad they are affecting my sleep and everything, had them before but in the last few weeks its been so so bad its getting to the point its actually making me feel like I am loosing it, kept meaning to look it up for a few days and what I found today when I finally remembered is kinda a bit shocking, slightly relieved but at the same time its worrying because I do actually have OCD, not the kind that am mega paranoid about germs or like extreme checking on things and Ive been like this for years, for me its hoovering and doing this mad routine every night, honetly if I wasnt in so much pain or physically exhausted then I would be worse because I was in the past, have to hoover every night doesnt matter if we have visitors or what day of the year or anything is, done it on christmas night while everybody was still here, done it while we were having a party and I know nothing bads gonna happen but I still cant not do it, even if the floor looks completely spotless Ill still do it and I have to have a shower or bath every night, the only time I dont do these things is when I have a severe headache and I mean like sitting in a dark room, wearing sunglasses with my eyes closed kinda headache, agonising, even after I came home from hospital after brain surgery, was home one day and was back to my hoovering thing and a bath every night, occasionally if I alreay had a shower I might just go in and have a quick shower but not wash my hair but most times Ill still have another shower anyway.

So yeah a little bit OCD then I find this earworms stuff that says its linked to OCD hah and stress can make these things worse, having to move house, one of the most stressful things you can do in your life and I already done it just under a year ago!! I swear though the last few weeks Ive had about 3 different earworms and its like two lines from a song on repeat from the minute I wake up till I go to bed, now and then Ill get a brief reprive from it but it comes back again, the current ones been going for 2 fucking days!! Its starting to really really irritate the crap out of me, havent been sleeping right at all the last few weeks, insomnia and constant waking up most of the time when I am trying to go to sleep, its a wonder I havent lost my mind already!!

Anyway heres a couple of interesting links I found on earworms, just wondered if anybody else on here experiences this to the point where it drives you insane?? Or is it just little old dysfunctional broken me??

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/06/broken-record-syndrome-my-life-with-chronic-earworm
Probably OCD lol.
I go through earworm phases too. I'm going through one now. Constant song in my head. And I listen to it on repeat. o_O

Like you my house has to be cleaned a certain way, I have to shower, nap, do stuff at a certain time or I feel behind schedule.

I used to play hockey in high school. So I kinda felt comfy going with a routine. Something I carried over into the real world.

I'd embrace it tbh. I have song stuck in my head too. So you're not alone in this :)

Maes17

Superstar
I hate earworms so much. I swear modern song tunes are designed to get stuck in your head. I avoid very recent pop music tunes like the plague.

When it starts, have you tried playing different styles of music of any variety to break the pattern in your head?
I think the modern beats mess with your brain subconsciously

Maryjane2.0

Rookie
Literally this, Pop music is all a big Agenda-pushing cash machine. It's all a formula, look at Lou Pearlman, creep for sure, but he knew exactly how to orchestrate a money making Pop sensation.

Maes17

Superstar
I'm just getting over my earworm. It's been a couple weeks. Jeez!

Still find the song enjoyable, but not a constant listen

Carolyn

Star
Mine seems to have gone mostly now, it started not being so ad yesterday, def stress related and by then it had turned into Liam Gahllager sining "Ill suck your **** for a cup of coffee" If thats not insanity I dunno what is, it is a bit funny but not when it just goes on a loop for ages. I wonder if it could partly be down to brain damage. I had an appointment for housing support yesterday and was so tired and kept stuttering and getting stuck on words like a broken record. Been up all night again got somebody coming this morning so guesss after they go Ill maybe get some sleep but I can stay in bed all day after it which Ill need but am done the rest of this week, out two days in a row in shitloads of pain on top of it, actually nauseated at the pain level. Funtimes... not!!

JoChris

Superstar
Mine seems to have gone mostly now, it started not being so ad yesterday, def stress related and by then it had turned into Liam Gahllager sining "Ill suck your **** for a cup of coffee" If thats not insanity I dunno what is, it is a bit funny but not when it just goes on a loop for ages. I wonder if it could partly be down to brain damage. I had an appointment for housing support yesterday and was so tired and kept stuttering and getting stuck on words like a broken record. Been up all night again got somebody coming this morning so guesss after they go Ill maybe get some sleep but I can stay in bed all day after it which Ill need but am done the rest of this week, out two days in a row in shitloads of pain on top of it, actually nauseated at the pain level. Funtimes... not!!
Boy you have it badly, poor thing. It must be stress related.
I would be using totally different types of music, tv or any type of audio devices at all times to break the cycle.

Maes17

Superstar
Sleep!
Run a hot shower, drink some hot tea or a bottle of water and relax. Yoy do sound stressed.

Best wishes sent

Carolyn

Star
Sleep!
Run a hot shower, drink some hot tea or a bottle of water and relax. Yoy do sound stressed.

Best wishes sent
If only it was that simple lol tried a lot of things including meditating, its finally stopped a day or so ago, was a very stressful week, hoping this week will be better. Took extra 10mg of amytriptaline I get for pain and insomnia, did seem to help a bit although very doped up and harder to wake up but any sleep is better than no sleep. Think am gonna try and continue with the extra cause its gonna be super mega stressful this week.

Maes17

Superstar
If only it was that simple lol tried a lot of things including meditating, its finally stopped a day or so ago, was a very stressful week, hoping this week will be better. Took extra 10mg of amytriptaline I get for pain and insomnia, did seem to help a bit although very doped up and harder to wake up but any sleep is better than no sleep. Think am gonna try and continue with the extra cause its gonna be super mega stressful this week.
Hope you find ease/peace soon.
Still sending you best wishes

FuschsiaUchi25

Established

WOW that is so gross like EWWS. You sound like you need to be a little more hygienic and clean out your ears. I've never had them and I don't know anyone else who has, in fact I asked. It made a great facebook status for grossing my friends out haha.