Earthquakes in diverse places

Lisa

Superstar
I’d like to also add this to the current events section...that seems like a lot of quakes to me...

More than 500 earthquakes have rattled the Puerto Rico region in 10 days. There may be more to come

Everyone's scared' - Puerto Rico declares emergency after earthquakes

Sunshine

Established
I have a hard time mustering any sympathy for PR, especially after all the ingratitude during our last round of disaster relief. That mouthy mayor standing in a warehouse full of supplies, screeching about how they weren't getting any supplies? And then, lo and behold, it comes to light that, unsurprisingly, she, the governor and all their cronies were stockpiling and selling the donations.

Frankly, I don't see another national outpouring of concern, money and supplies from the US to PR any time soon. Besides, we still have our hands full helping the Bahamas. And the hundred other countries in line to see what they can beg off Uncle Sam. Call me all the names you want, but you know it is very likely that's how it's going to play out. Blue-collar Joe and Jane ain't gonna give a dime to that island. Trump will be damned if he does and damned if he don't, just like last time.

They've been playing both sides of the US/not US thing for so long, our patience was already thin to begin with. (For those unfamiliar: PR is a US territory, which means they get most of the benefits of US citizenship, except their votes only count in local politics, and they don't pay income tax, while at the same time they pretend to be their own country, with all the third-world corruption being a Latino country entails. For the politicians, it's the best of both worlds, for the rest, not so much. Except the people who rob the tourists. They love it as much as the politicians because they never go to jail either.)

There was some separatist group of Puerto Riquenos that tried to blow up Congress in D.C in the 70's. More people remember that little bout of terrorism than ole Dizzy Lizzy Warren would like to believe. I see her as being at the forefront of the screeching contingent on this issue, just as she is on every other issue, apparently.

A lot of Americans are going to ignore PR as best they can for as long as they can, and then maybe throw them a few scraps, that's it. Sure, the lefties will wail and moan and tell us how "mean", "heartless" and "racist" we are, but they do that every day anyways, so big whoop. If I had to guess, we'll probably be sending our spare cash to Australia. Koala bears and farmers engender more sympathy than pick-pockets and poisonous frogs.

Lisa

Superstar
I have a hard time mustering any sympathy for PR, especially after all the ingratitude during our last round of disaster relief. That mouthy mayor standing in a warehouse full of supplies, screeching about how they weren't getting any supplies? And then, lo and behold, it comes to light that, unsurprisingly, she, the governor and all their cronies were stockpiling and selling the donations.

Frankly, I don't see another national outpouring of concern, money and supplies from the US to PR any time soon. Besides, we still have our hands full helping the Bahamas. And the hundred other countries in line to see what they can beg off Uncle Sam. Call me all the names you want, but you know it is very likely that's how it's going to play out. Blue-collar Joe and Jane ain't gonna give a dime to that island. Trump will be damned if he does and damned if he don't, just like last time.

They've been playing both sides of the US/not US thing for so long, our patience was already thin to begin with. (For those unfamiliar: PR is a US territory, which means they get most of the benefits of US citizenship, except their votes only count in local politics, and they don't pay income tax, while at the same time they pretend to be their own country, with all the third-world corruption being a Latino country entails. For the politicians, it's the best of both worlds, for the rest, not so much. Except the people who rob the tourists. They love it as much as the politicians because they never go to jail either.)

There was some separatist group of Puerto Riquenos that tried to blow up Congress in D.C in the 70's. More people remember that little bout of terrorism than ole Dizzy Lizzy Warren would like to believe. I see her as being at the forefront of the screeching contingent on this issue, just as she is on every other issue, apparently.

A lot of Americans are going to ignore PR as best they can for as long as they can, and then maybe throw them a few scraps, that's it. Sure, the lefties will wail and moan and tell us how "mean", "heartless" and "racist" we are, but they do that every day anyways, so big whoop. If I had to guess, we'll probably be sending our spare cash to Australia. Koala bears and farmers engender more sympathy than pick-pockets and poisonous frogs.
I haven’t been in an earthquake but it sounds terrifying to me...and to see they’ve had over 500 in 10 days seems crazy scary no matter who you are and how badly you’ve acted.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
I'm glad you brought this up too Lisa. I heard about 2 earthquakes striking but I didn't know it had gotten WORSE :-( poor people, first that devastation by the hurricane and now this :(:(:(

Lisa

Superstar
I'm glad you brought this up too Lisa. I heard about 2 earthquakes striking but I didn't know it had gotten WORSE :-( poor people, first that devastation by the hurricane and now this :(:(:(
Thanks! Ya, I was like you..they had an earthquake..but then when I read it was over 500 in 10 days..that’s shocking, I cannot even fathom that many earthquakes in that short a time period. Sounds like they weren’t all little trembles either.

Lisa

Superstar
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A magnitude 5.9 quake shook Puerto Rico on Saturday, causing further damage along the island’s southern coast, where previous recent quakes have toppled homes and schools.

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Thanks! Ya, I was like you..they had an earthquake..but then when I read it was over 500 in 10 days..that’s shocking, I cannot even fathom that many earthquakes in that short a time period. Sounds like they weren’t all little trembles either.
That's not natural. Now earthquakes seem to be preceded or followed by a strong quake or aftershock and then followed by swarms of smaller quakes. I feel for the people there :( :( :(

Glad 2 know

Veteran
Don't feel negative just because of the reaction of some people. Their ingratitude doesn't reflect the attitude of ALL the people that live on the island. We don't know the whole situation, we don't know if they were helped the whole way or half.
It's sad but true. There's so much devastation going on in much of the world that it's hard to fathom. Not everyone can be helped at this point:(:(:( Earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, wildfires, it's A LOT.

In this world, the more important things are ignored and it's even encouraged. It's a sad reality, "let as many suffer and forget about their plight"

Capella81

I feel like PR is under attack almost. They keep getting hit with disaster after disaster with out any time to recoup in between. I couldn't imagine trying to rebuild and then BOOM another catastrophe. Anyhow its struck me as odd a few years back with those hurricanes that the rainforest in the. Middle of the island was essentially untouched. The storms ripped through the very outer edge of the island but not the middle (where the rainforest is). And mind you its the ONLY rainforest USA owns. So I do think there is more then meets the eye with all the crazy weather down there.

Lisa

Superstar
That's not natural. Now earthquakes seem to be preceded or followed by a strong quake or aftershock and then followed by swarms of smaller quakes. I feel for the people there :( :( :(
And the terror as the ground shakes and it doesn’t seem to be able to stop after 10 days of it.:oops:

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
I feel like PR is under attack almost. They keep getting hit with disaster after disaster with out any time to recoup in between. I couldn't imagine trying to rebuild and then BOOM another catastrophe. Anyhow its struck me as odd a few years back with those hurricanes that the rainforest in the. Middle of the island was essentially untouched. The storms ripped through the very outer edge of the island but not the middle (where the rainforest is). And mind you its the ONLY rainforest USA owns. So I do think there is more then meets the eye with all the crazy weather down there.
The Pacific Northwest of full of rainforests as well!

Lisa

Superstar
Shaken Caribbean tiptoes back to normal after shock of major quake
by Reuters
Wednesday, 29 January 2020 19:57 GMT

By Kate Chappell and Zachary Fagenson
KINGSTON/MIAMI, Jan 29 (Reuters) - Shaken Caribbean residents and tourists said on Wednesday that life was returning to normal after a powerful earthquake struck the region and rattled nerves but spared the area from serious damage to property or loss of life.
The magnitude 7.7 quake hit Tuesday afternoon in the Caribbean Sea between Jamaica, the Cayman Islands and Cuba, bursting drains and ripping open sinkholes.
Several aftershocks followed, including a magnitude 6.1 tremor closer to the Cayman Islands, unnerving people for hours afterwards.
"Our nerves are on edge not knowing if we're going to be safe or not," said Canadian tourist Andrew Walsh, 43, on a visit to Jamaica's Montego Bay with his family. "It is still causing us some anxiety."

Lisa

Superstar
so many earthquakes have been happening this year....
Sad isn’t it? They had the ones in Utah I think it was...put them in the end times thread and then remembered I had this one..thought about adding them. Jesus sure was right when He said there would be earthquakes in various places..they are everywhere. I keep thinking of that one massive earthquake that will happen in the end..and think no wonder there are earthquakes everywhere...its like little tests being done.

Sad isn’t it? They had the ones in Utah I think it was...put them in the end times thread and then remembered I had this one..thought about adding them. Jesus sure was right when He said there would be earthquakes in various places..they are everywhere. I keep thinking of that one massive earthquake that will happen in the end..and think no wonder there are earthquakes everywhere...its like little tests being done.
ive been feeling like im living in a movie for a while now. sometimes i have to pinch myself because i do believe but when we get these huge affirmations of scripture its like woah this is really happening, or going to happen.

Lisa

Superstar
ive been feeling like im living in a movie for a while now. sometimes i have to pinch myself because i do believe but when we get these huge affirmations of scripture its like woah this is really happening, or going to happen.
Ya, its incredible to see prophecy being fulfilled..too bad its earthquakes. I also think about how there will be rumors of wars...we seem to have a lot of that...rumors of wars, some wars..but more rumors...and then to think we are still only in the beginning of things.

Do you think any of the seals have been opened? I’ve wondered about that and a few years back thought maybe the first two were opened.

Lisa

Superstar
O dear!

5.5-magnitude earthquake strikes towns in Puerto Rico still recovering from January quake which caused millions of dollars in damage