Dysfunctional Vigilance - the dark side of over-discernment

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I sometimes suffer from allergies where my body goes into a kind of total over-reaction to every day things. Often it costs me a day of my life and gives me a terrible night's sleep.

That's what happened yesterday - my immune system is "woke"!!

I wish there was some way I could get the message over to it that a bit of dust or an air freshener is not some dangerous toxin!!!

I woke up (too early) this morning and thought about the parralells between an overactive immune system and overactive "vigilance" about evil.

There is certainly great value in awareness but it has it's dysfunctional side.

This has to be one of the best and most relevant messages I have heard for a long time. I have seen (and sometimes fallen into) almost all the traps Mike points out. Just like it's great to have an immune system, but it can also mess you up, it's great to have discernment but it must be tempered with wisdom.

Last edited:

muslimah

Rookie
I agree, there's some people who take things too far. Like not every time you see the colours black and white together is it some masonic imagery. Not every time you see a butterfly is it alluding to monarch mind control. If a piece of media has a whole bunch of these symbols together then it might be a bit fishy, but these things on their own are just normal sights to see.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
"see no evil for i am blind, hear no evil for i am deaf"
That would certainly be the opposite side of the spectrum, however, I don't think that description applies to many people on the VC forum.

Playing Devils Advocate, if you consider Blavatsky's objectives in the externalisation of the hierarchy, you might argue that some of those "exposing" the hidden meanings in film and music might simply make the evil hidden meanings of apparently innocent clearer. By doing so, those who may have blissfully ignored the message and took no harm from it get to encounter it.

Romans 16:19

19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

I think many people in the truth community end up being wise unto that which is evil, and simple concerning good!!!

That would certainly be the opposite side of the spectrum, however, I don't think that description applies to many people on the VC forum.

Playing Devils Advocate, if you consider Blavatsky's objectives in the externalisation of the hierarchy, you might argue that some of those "exposing" the hidden meanings in film and music might simply make the evil hidden meanings of apparently innocent clearer. By doing so, those who may have blissfully ignored the message and took no harm from it get to encounter it.

Romans 16:19

19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

I think many people in the truth community end up being wise unto that which is evil, and simple concerning good!!!

it's sad that yet again you've demonstrated how little you know of your own religion..and what that quote really really means in the context and how it reflects the true christian approach.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
it's sad that yet again you've demonstrated how little you know of your own religion..and what that quote really really means in the context and how it reflects the true christian approach.
Did you disagree with the ideas from Romans 16 and John Courson's exposition on the subject?