Doomsday Hall

Stucky

Star
Reminds me of the story about an englishman who bought a cottage in the scottish highlands, he moved in and that evening there was a knock at the door. He opens it and there's a big hairy jock standing there in kilt, tam o' shanter, sporran, bagpipes under his arm, the lot.
"Och laddie" he says, "I live at the farm doon the glen and I'd like tae invite ye to a party there tonight, there'll be lots of drinking, singing, dancing and wild wild sex!"
"Wow thanks" says the englishman, "and how many will be there?"
"Och laddie" replies the jock, "Just the two of us!"

Aww man the poor Sheep will be devastated they didn't get an invite.

PS- If the jocks like Scotland so much, why are thousands living in England?.. :p
And hey, if Scotland has a referendum and leaves the UK, will all the scrounging jock immigrants in England go back there?..:p
Hmm, quite obviously traitors. Usually we Scots only go near the border to do this,

Tidal

Star
BTW i've got a soft spot for that Sturgeon woman..:)
As for the jock immigrants in england, Saturday nights here would never be the same without them puking their guts up outside every pub in the realm..:)

Stucky

Star
BTW i've got a soft spot for that Sturgeon woman..:)
Please don't put in my mind the image of you and wee Jimmy Krankie having hanky panky...I beg you, please, no! :eek:

Saturday nights here would never be the same without them puking their guts up outside every pub in the realm..:)
Just helping out the economy in your 'hospitality' sector :D

Tidal

Star
As an American, I am totally offended by this.

By what?
PS- that reminds me, there have been two great scotch characters in sci-fi, firstly there was Scotty in Star Trek and then Robert Carlyle as Dr. Rush in 'Stargate Universe".
PS again- SGU was one of the most underated shows around, it ran to 40 episodes over 3 years and was real adult scifi, the two main characters Dr Rush and Colonel Young hated each others guts, they had at least two fist fights and in one episode Rush tried to frame Young for murder, and in another Young stranded Rush on a hostile planet (below).
Ah, they don't make co-stars like that any more..:)

Young confronts Rush about his attempt to frame him-

Johnny5

Veteran
By what?
PS- that reminds me, there have been two great scotch characters in sci-fi, firstly there was Scotty in Star Trek and then Robert Carlyle as Dr. Rush in 'Stargate Universe".
PS again- SGU was one of the most underated shows around, it ran to 40 episodes over 3 years and was real adult scifi, the two main characters Dr Rush and Colonel Young hated each others guts, they had at least two fist fights and in one episode Rush tried to frame Young for murder, and in another Young stranded Rush on a hostile planet (below).
Ah, they don't make co-stars like that any more..:)

Young confronts Rush about his attempt to frame him-
I was just teasing. My favorite Scot in movies.

Tidal

Star
I was just teasing. My favorite Scot in movies.

That red-headed milf certainly got my pulse going til she started smoking, YUK!
Call me a soppy romantic but I prefer women who don't smell like truckers..:)

justjess

Superstar
As far as that giant Humvee looking thing is concerned... as awesome as it is you might want to consider some sort of alternative back up transportation. Lots of electrical parts, requires a lot of fuel.

Johnny5

Veteran
As far as that giant Humvee looking thing is concerned... as awesome as it is you might want to consider some sort of alternative back up transportation. Lots of electrical parts, requires a lot of fuel.
Good point.

Bent8484

Established
Let's imagine that 99 percent of the world's population have died of a plague, so I thought of starting this thread to explore the survival of our small group of survivors.
To begin with, we've got out of the cities and have taken over this big country house (after giving the plague victim owners a decent cremation) and called it 'Doomsday Hall'.

It seems to tick all the right boxes, namely-
1- Well away from the cities and their violent gangs.
2- Big house with a number of rooms.
3- Food from the woods and fields.
4- Water and fish from the river. (We can also sling our buckets of sewage in there, downstream of course).
5- More fish from the sea, seaweed from the beach,and cockles and mussel things from the rockpools. (We can also boil seawater to get salt)
6- Temperate climate.
Have I overlooked anything?

Below: Doomsday Hall
It's like a metal cover of Lennon's Imagine...
"Imagine all the people, dead of plague and gone...woo-oo-oo"

Tidal

Star
Right, when all the perol and gasoline has gone, the bike will be king..:)
Below: My Saracen 'hybrid' bike, a cross between a lightweight racer and a mountain bike-

Below: random pics from the net, saddle up..:)

The zombs may take the cities and the main roads and the gas stations, but they'll never take a cyclists FREEDOM!

Bypassing zomb roadblocks on the main roads-

The wheels take all the weight, not your knee joints-

Walk up all the hills, never push the pace and you can go on forever-

Just pull off the road and set up camp anywhere-

Below; me in my glory days-

PS- DON'T cycle in winter unless you HAVE to, it's twice as hard as summer because it feels like you're cycling into a wall of cold.
When I used to do cycle-camping on a lightweight racing bike the average distance i did per day was about 60 miles with lots of food/rest breaks on the way, but once I went nuts and did 140 miles in one day.
Below: Here's my bike in the middle of Wales some years ago, I did about 70 miles that day. My sleeping bag and food are crammed into the saddlebag and my tent is strapped on top.The orange waterproof jacket is lashed over the whole caboodle to rainproof everything.

Last edited:

Tidal

Star
That doesn’t answer the question of why you’re such a hypocrite in saying its ok for you to take someone else’s house that you haven’t worked for..but yet you can tell anyone and everyone else to stay out of it.

Honeybun I hope you pay more attention to you sunday school teacher than you do to what I said in earlier posts in this sensational thread, namely that our Doomsday Hall will be open to anybody who turns up, up to a maximum of what the land can support food-wise; a provisional estimate would be about 20 people..:)

Tidal

Star
who is in charge?

Basically nobody because the Hall group will run itself..:)

Members can roll out of bed in the morning whenever they like, as the clock will have no hold on us.
They'll then go down to the kitchen for a relaxed cup of tea and glance out the window to see what the weather's doing.
They might bump into a few other members in the kitchen and have a chat; some members might still be snoring up in their rooms, while a few early risers might be out doing light chores.
After breakfast we choose what we'd like to do that day, there's a long list (below) so nobody would ever be bored, they can either do it alone or with one or several companions, everybody will be doing something different, or they can choose to do nothing, no pressure.

Tending the vegetable garden
Tending the crops in the fields
Picking berries, mushrooms and herbs etc in the woods.
Hunting rabbits, game birds and the odd deer
Fishing in the river
Fishing in the sea, gathering edible seaweed and collecting shellfish in the rockpools
Distilling seawater to obtain salt
Making bread, biscuits, booze and wine etc
Preparing and cooking food
Taking the Hall vehicle on foraging trips into the nearly-deserted towns and cities to pick up canned food, lanterns, batteries, medicines, fuel, guns and ammo, bows and crossbows etc.
Around 7 o'clock in the evening comes the focal point of the day, a Big Jolly Meal, a sumptious well-cooked affair in the dining room (below) where the members are all together for the first time that day, piece o' cake..:)

Tidal

Star
Below: an after-dinner singsong at the Hall (this clip is from Survivors (1975), you'd never guess 99% of the world's population had been wiped out by a plague. The only clue that it's post-apocalypse are the paraffin lamps and acoustic guitar (no mains electricity remember) and they're whooping it up knowing they're free from the rat-racing hassle of the clock-ruled old world because all that doesn't matter any more..:)

Cintra

Star
Yup, when the bullets run out it'll be back to bows and crossbows..:)-
Below- Brod (Brian Blessed) has taken Hubert and others prisoner in Survivors (1975) but Hubert grabs a crossbow and settles Brod's hash-

Yeah, and you can use loads of stuff.
You can fire a 9 inch nail
You can make and fletch your own shafts. (I have done this) the result isn't great, but the bolts would go through a human torso at a reasonable distance.

Get in a lot of spare strings, and figure out how to make them for yourself.
I have never tried it, but i have the feeling that a steel guitar string could go on a small crossbow, and so long as you hitched it up ok you could use it in a pinch.

You could also make a ballista with leaf springs. Great big thing, mount it on the roof.

Also!!!!
I want a trebuchet. I really want a trebuchet.
Like this one
But we keep the piano. I know someone who can play it, and we can cannibalise the strings for other weapons.

Piano wires strung taut along the tracks, Take a bikers head right off.

polymoog

Superstar
After breakfast we choose what we'd like to do that day, there's a long list (below) so nobody would ever be bored, they can either do it alone or with one or several companions, everybody will be doing something different, or they can choose to do nothing, no pressure.
if there is no pressure to get anything done, how will anything get done?
why have freeloaders?

Tidal

Star
if there is no pressure to get anything done, how will anything get done?
why have freeloaders?

If stuff needs doing, everybody will be glad to pitch in, but no way hozay will any of us do "work for works sake"
Anyway hardly anything will need doing, chill bro..:)