Doomsday Hall

Lisa

Superstar
You must have ODD. 99% of the population is dead. Should past ownership count at all? I'm sure the cave men moved on after finding a cave with skeletons.

No, the better life was after all the work of farming and ranching. Working for the better life, ya know?
It’s not about people being dead..it’s about his wanting what someone else has.

The industrial revolution put a lot more people to work though so they could also have a better life..by having a job.

Tidal

Star
Doesn’t mean you can just move in and take over their house. What’s wrong with living in your house? This seems more about taking what’s not yours then living in a dystopian future..

Rule No.1- NO RULES IN A KNIFE FIGHT!
You can stay in the plague-ravaged city with rotting corpses everywhere and starving gangs running riot if you like, but I'm a-heading fer that thar Doomsday Hall..:)

Lisa

Superstar
Rule No.1- NO RULES IN A KNIFE FIGHT!
You can stay in the plague-ravaged city with rotting corpses everywhere and starving gangs running riot if you like, but I'm a-heading fer that thar Doomsday Hall..:)

U huh..sure. You are just wanting someone else’s stuff.

Lurker

Star

The industrial revolution put a lot more people to work though so they could also have a better life..by having a job.
Does the industrial revolution matter in a post apocalyptic world?

Lisa

Superstar
Does the industrial revolution matter in a post apocalyptic world?
It’s a hypothetical world here..and I don’t do hypotheticals.

I just find it interesting and wrong that the thought is that you take someone else’s house.

Tidal

Star

Huh, how can the Hall belong to the two dead previous owners?
But okay, if you don't want to come to the safety of the Hall, stay put in your home and good luck with that..:)

"Hey you guys I hear there's a little lady all on her lonesome, maybe we should pay her a little visit?"

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Huh, how can the Hall belong to the two dead previous owners?
But okay, if you don't want to come to the safety of the Hall and stay put in your home and good luck with that..:)

"Hey you guys I hear there's a little lady all on her lonesome, maybe we should pay her a little visit?"
You don’t now own it because they are dead.

shankara

Star
@Tidal well she told you, property rights continue to exist in the case of an apocalypse and take precendence over human survival. She probably doesn't know that many indigenous tribes didn't have any notion of property rights, and were utterly shocked when they discovered the treaties they signed with their invaders (such as with the British and Dutch in New Zealand) made the land the "property" of the colonizer. The Maori just thought that their new European friends were promising to take care of the land. But of course the values of our present "civilization" are the only "true" values which can possibly exist at any time and in any situation, and all other ways of viewing things must be incorrect.

Lisa

Superstar
The context of the question was pertaining to survival.
By taking someone else’s house and in order to do that he’s talking about a dystopian future. Why can’t he just do his hypothetical from his house? That would be more real.

Lurker

Star
By taking someone else’s house and in order to do that he’s talking about a dystopian future. Why can’t he just do his hypothetical from his house? That would be more real.
Kinda hard to do in a flat in London(?). My house could work tho. Can we have our hypothetical now?

Lisa

Superstar
@Tidal well she told you, property rights continue to exist in the case of an apocalypse and take precendence over human survival. She probably doesn't know that many indigenous tribes didn't have any notion of property rights, and were utterly shocked when they discovered the treaties they signed with their invaders (such as with the British and Dutch in New Zealand) made the land the "property" of the colonizer. The Maori just thought that their new European friends were promising to take care of the land. But of course the values of our present "civilization" are the only "true" values which can possibly exist at any time and in any situation, and all other ways of viewing things must be incorrect.
Is he any better than the roaming gangs he’s talking about if he takes someone else’s stuff?

Kinda hard to do in a flat in London(?). My house could work tho. Can we have our hypothetical now?
Sure..take it back...print some money too..lol!

shankara

Star
Is he any better than the roaming gangs he’s talking about if he takes someone else’s stuff?

Sure..take it back...print some money too..lol!
Well I don't think it's such a problem if the people are dead, and even their descendants likely to have been wiped out by the plague ("99 percent of the world's population have died"). I guess some damages could be paid if human society ever reverts to normal in a few hundred years. I'm very favorable to squatting, there are abandoned houses owned by people who have no use for them, and there are people who need a place to live. Absolute right to property is a cultural norm, not a universal ethical standard.