Doomsday Hall

Lurker

Star
Speaking of biscuits and other goodies, we'll have to foray into the cities and towns from time to time to replenish the Hall's kitchen cupboards, so we'll need to commandeer a vehicle from the nearest deserted army camp.
Something like this armoured car (below) will do as it'll shrug off the bullets fired at it by the starving mobs.
Er...i've got a confession to make- I can't drive, i've never owned a car in my life, but hopefully other Hall members will know how to drive it and teach the rest of us.
PS- another confession- I know nothing about guns, so hopefully a Hall member will be able to instruct us..:)

Looks like that would be fun to drive.
I thought you had said (at some point) you had served a stint in the army.

Tidal

Star
Looks like that would be fun to drive.
I thought you had said (at some point) you had served a stint in the army.

Nah mate, I said that I considered joining the army in my teens and even sent off for a recruiting brochure but change my mind because I knew I could never stand all that boot-polishing bull and stuff; also I knew i'd never be able to take any orders I didn't agree with, so I never joined.
Got a shock a couple of weeks later when a "Sergeant Butterfield" from the local recruiting office came knocking my door on a follow-up courtesy visit in full dress uniform, stripes and all, but I never answered and dived behind the settee to take cover til he'd gone.
I did the next best thing to joining and became a wargamer instead, here's my character strutting his stuff in the 'Armed Assault' online computer game.. :cool:

PS- there was a joining-up application form included with that brochure, so I ripped it out and filled it in with the name and address of a kid down the road who nobody liked and sent it in, dunno if they ever came for him.

Last edited:

Lurker

Star
Nah mate, I said that I considered joining the army in my teens and even sent off for a recruiting brochure but change my mind because I knew I could never stand all that boot-polishing bull and stuff; also I knew i'd never be able to take any orders I didn't agree with, so I never joined.
Got a shock a couple of weeks later when a "Sergeant Butterfield" from the local recruiting office came knocking my door on a follow-up courtesy visit in full dress uniform, stripes and all, but I never answered and dived behind the settee to take cover til he'd gone.
I did the next best thing to joining and became a wargamer instead, here's my character strutting his stuff in the 'Armed Assault' online computer game.. :cool:

PS- there was a joining-up application form at the back of that brochure, so I ripped it out and filled it in with the name and address of a kid down the road and sent it in, dunno if they ever came for him.

My mistake. You'll have to forgive me as I have two brain cells left, and they don't work well together.

Tidal

Star
My mistake. You'll have to forgive me as I have two brain cells left, and they don't work well together.

Chill mate, like i say to green newcomers in my wargame squad- "When you lay your sights on the enemy and pull the trigger, the bullet will still fly at a zillion feet per second because it WON'T KNOW if you're green or experienced, so that makes you just as dangerous as anybody else"..:)

Tidal

Star
Still want to drive that truck.

Good for you mate, you're not afraid to go in harm's way so you can be the Hall's Transport Officer..:)
We'll hit the city in our armoured car about once a week with you driving, and will have a pre-mission briefing like this-
"First we'll hit the gun shop in Scudamore Road to take all the guns and ammo we can carry, then we'll raid Tesco's in the Mall and load up with groceries, then move on to the hardware store in Jellicoe Rd to get paraffin and tools, then hit the garden centre in Wilshere Avenue for seeds.."

Lurker

Star
Among other supplies I'll bring seeds to begin with, but like they say about seeds. Too many is not enough.

Johnny5

Veteran
Speaking of biscuits and other goodies, we'll have to foray into the cities and towns from time to time to replenish the Hall's kitchen cupboards, so we'll need to commandeer a vehicle from the nearest deserted army camp.
Something like this armoured car (below) will do as it'll shrug off the bullets fired at it by the starving mobs.
Er...i've got a confession to make- I can't drive, i've never owned a car in my life, but hopefully other Hall members will know how to drive it and teach the rest of us.
PS- another confession- I know nothing about guns, so hopefully a Hall member will be able to instruct us..:)

I could help with the last part except for flame throwers which you inquired about earlier.

Tidal

Star
I could help with the last part except for flame throwers which you inquired about earlier.

Thanks mate, I'm a Brit so what the hell do I know about guns, but I'm surprised at how many people in survival forums say they think a .22 semi automatic handgun is good enough for general defence.
Surely a larger calibre would have more hitting power?

Tidal

Star
This was featured on Top Gear years ago. The good BBC TopGear and not the newer crappier US or Amazon versions.

Yeah the Marauder looks fine, especially the version with a roof-mounted machine gun, haha..:)

Lurker

Star
Thanks mate, I'm a Brit so what the hell do I know about guns, but I'm surprised at how many people in survival forums say they think a .22 semi automatic handgun is good enough for general defence.
Surely a larger calibre would have more hitting power?
A .22 can bounce around inside a rib-cage causing a lot of damage. I would still go higher tho.

Johnny5

Veteran
A .22 can bounce around inside a rib-cage causing a lot of damage. I would still go higher tho.
Yep on both accounts. The reason why it is a highly regarded caliber is for several reasons. It is CHEAP. It is versatile as it can be used for hunting small game and even some larger game in the right hands. It is CHEAP. As for defense, it can definitely take out an attacker. It is easier to keep on target, less recoil usually, than larger calibers. It is CHEAP.
Right now in the US, you can pretty easily find .22lr and shotgun shells . Every handgun caliber is just about sold out everywhere. For home defense l would go with a shotgun. A shotgun is a fantastic option. I posted in another thread several reasons why shotguns are good for defense. They are good versatile hunting tools as well.

Tidal

Star
.22...The reason why it is a highly regarded caliber is for several reasons. It is CHEAP. It is versatile as it can be used for hunting small game and even some larger game in the right hands. It is CHEAP. As for defense, it can definitely take out an attacker. It is easier to keep on target, less recoil usually, than larger calibers. It is CHEAP..
Yeah .22's are great for hunting small game and birds, but in the film 'Serpico', Pacino took a pointblank .22 in the cheek (below) and it only dazed him-

Personally I think I'd plump for a harder-hitting .38 revolver with a snub or medium length barrel, as I hear 'volvers never jam..:)

Tidal

Star
We need proper plumbing. The lack of sanitation is causing disease amongst the group

At Doomsday Hall we'll simply sling our sewage in the river (nature's waste disposal channel) and let the current carry it to the sea..:)