DONALD TRUMP HAS BEEN IMPEACHED!!! WHAT NOW??

Thunderian

Superstar
We've all known this since the beginning.

Trump Legal Team Lays Out 6-Point Case Crushing Democrats’ Impeachment Claims
President Donald Trump’s legal defense team laid out an aggressive six-point case dismantling the Democrats’ impeachment case on Saturday that was simply built around highlighting the facts of what happened surrounding Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.​
Trump’s defense team only used two of the 24 hours that they were allotted during their first of three days that they have to argue in front of the Senate that Trump should be acquitted from the Democrats’ partisan impeachment charges.​
Laying out Trump’s six-point defense was deputy White House counsel Michael Purpura, who said the following:​
  1. “The transcript shows that the president did not condition either security assistance or a meeting on anything. The paused security assistance funds aren’t even mentioned on the call.”
    1. “President Zelensky and other Ukrainian officials have repeatedly said that there was no quid pro quo and no pressure on them to review anything.”
    2. “President Zelensky and high-ranking Ukrainian officials did not even know, did not even know, the security assistance was paused until the end of August, over a month after the July 25 call.”
    3. “Not a single witness testified that the President himself said that there was any connection between any investigations and security assistance, a presidential meeting, or anything else.”
    4. “The security assistance flowed on September 11 and a presidential meeting took place on September 25 without the Ukrainian government announcing any investigations.”
    5. “The Democrats blind drive to impeach the president does not and cannot change the fact, as attested to by the Democrats own witnesses, that President Trump has been a better friend and stronger supporter of Ukraine than his predecessor.”
“Those are the facts,” Purpura said. “Each one of these six facts standing alone is enough to sink the Democrats’ case. Combined they establish what we’ve known since the beginning, the president did absolutely nothing wrong.”​
Purpura later highlighted that Ambassador Kurt Volker, the U.S. Special Representative for Ukraine, who was not on the call but who met with Zelensky the day after the call, testified that in no way, shape, or form in either the readouts from the United States or Ukraine did [Zelensky] receive any indication that Trump was pursuing a quid pro quo.​
Purpura cut back to Volker’s testimony in front of the House Intelligence Committee last year where he confirmed under oath that there was no quid pro quo, no bribery, and Ukraine was not even aware that there was a temporary hold on U.S. financial assistance.​
After playing the clip, Purpura said: “[Democrats] didn’t tell you about this testimony from Ambassador Volker. Why not? President Zelensky himself has confirmed on at least three separate occasions that his July 25 call with President Trump was a good phone call and normal and that nobody pushed me. When President Zelenksy’s advisor Andriy Yermak was asked if he had ever felt there was a connection between the US military aid in the request for investigations, he was adamant that we never had that feeling and we did not have the feeling that this aid was connected to any one specific issue.”​
Purpura continued to hammer on the fact that all top Ukrainian officials indicated that there was no quid pro quo and later added that it was insulting to Ukraine that Democrats were essentially stating that Ukraine was not telling the truth about the situation.​
Purpura also hit House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, who is one of the Democrats’ impeachment managers, for fabricating quotes from Trump’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Zelenksy by playing a video clip showing Schiff fabricating the quotes during a televised congressional hearing.​
After playing the clip, Purpura said: “That’s fake, that’s not the real call, that’s not the evidence here, that’s not the transcript that Mr. Cipollone just referenced and we can shrug it off and say we were making light, or a joke, but that was in a hearing in the United States House of Representatives discussing the removal of the President of the United States from office. There are very few things, if any, that can be as grave and as serious, let’s stick with the evidence let’s talk about the facts and the evidence in this case.”​
Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow noted that Democrats’ entire case was built on the notion that they were able to read “everybody’s thoughts, they can read everybody’s intention, even when the principal speakers, the witnesses themselves, insist that those interpretations are wrong.”​
Sekulow spent a significant portion of time going after leftist Democrat Rep. Jason Crow (CO) for his dishonesty this week while presenting the Democrats’ case in front of the Senate.​
“Manager Crow said this, ‘what’s most interesting to me about this is that president Trump was only interested in Ukraine aid.’ His words, nobody else, ‘the U.S. provides aids to dozens of countries around the world, lots of partners and allies, he didn’t ask about any of them asked he didn’t ask about any of them just Ukraine,’” Sekulow said as he highlighted Crow’s remarks. “Here’s what actually happened: President Trump has placed holds on aid a number of times, we can just take basic due diligence to figure this out.”​
Sekulow gave the following examples of instances where the Trump administration has placed holds on foreign assistance:​
  • In September 2019 the administration announced that it was withholding over $100 million in aid to Afghanistan over concerns about government corruption.
    • In August 2019 President Trump announced that the administration and Seoul were in talks to substantially increase South Korea’s share burden-sharing of the expenses of U.S. military aid support for South Korea.
    • In June, President Trump cut or paused over $550 million in foreign aid to El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala because those countries were not fairly sharing the burdens of preventing mass migration to the United States.
    • In June, the administration temporarily paused $105 million dollars in aid to Lebanon, the administration lifted that hold in December with one official explaining that the administration continually reviews and thoroughly evaluates the effectiveness of all United States foreign assistance to ensure that funds go towards activities that further U.S. foreign policy and also further our national security interests, like any administration would.
    • In September 2018, the administration canceled the $300 million in military aid to Pakistan because it was not meeting its counter terrorism obligations, you didn’t hear about any of that from my Democratic colleagues, the House managers.
Sekulow further noted that two of the Democrats’ witnesses said during their impeachment investigation that the Trump administration has withheld aid from numerous countries across the world for a wide variety of reasons.​
“Manager Crow told you that the president’s Ukraine policy was not strong against Russia, noting that we help our partner fight Russia over there so we don’t have to fight Russia here, our friends on the frontlines in trenches and with sneakers and this was following the Russians invasion of Ukraine in 2014, the United States has stood by Ukraine, those are your words,” Sekulow continued. “While it’s true that the United States has stood by Ukraine since the invasion of 2014, only one president since then took a very concrete step, some of you supported it, and that step included actually providing Ukraine with lethal weapons including javelin missiles. That’s what President Trump did.”​
“Here’s what Ambassador Taylor said that you didn’t hear in the 23 hours, you didn’t hear this, ‘javelin missiles are serious weapons, they will kill Russian tanks,'” Sekulow continued. “Ambassador Yovanovitch agreed stating, that Ukraine policy under President Trump actually got stronger, stronger than it was under President Obama.”​
White House counsel Pat Cipollone noted that Trump’s defense team was going to go in-depth next week in examining evidence that Democrats intentionally did not present to the American public during there three days in front of the Senate.​
“They’ve come here today and they’ve basically said, ‘Let’s cancel an election over a meeting with the Ukraine,’” Cipollone said. “It would be a completely irresponsible abuse of power to do what they’re asking you to do: to stop an election, to interfere in an election and to remove the president of the United States from the ballot.”​

TempestOfTempo

Superstar

Thunderian

Superstar
Your fanboy-ism for a politician you cant actually elect is telling..... but you asked about the economy, are you able to refute the videos of the expert Greg Mannarino?
It’s just a funny video, bud.

The lower corporate tax rate has not trickled down to higher wages or lower prices.. so no, it doesn’t benefit everyone. It benefits the people not paying the taxes anymore solely.
Regardless, these are better conditions for higher wages and lower prices to develop. I'm also an entrepeneur, and taxes, which here used to be lower than in the US, higher now, can be strangling and prevent me from hiring anyone.

justjess

Superstar
Regardless, these are better conditions for higher wages and lower prices to develop. I'm also an entrepeneur, and taxes, which here used to be lower than in the US, higher now, can be strangling and prevent me from hiring anyone.
I own a business as well. This trickle down crap doesn’t work (you just conceded it hasnt in this case, atleast yet) because the money is going into the wrong pockets. You may have more money in your own pocket, but the scenarios in which that translates to increased hiring are very rare.

Business aren’t just going to start hiring because they have more money from less taxes, they start hiring because they have increased demand and need additional employees to meet the demand. I don’t care how much money I have, if I don’t need more employees I’m not going to hire them. Increased demand comes from customers having increased purchasing power and more expendable income. Rich people aren’t the target market for new customers because they already buy what they want/need - it’s a satiated market.

I own a business as well. This trickle down crap doesn’t work (you just conceded it hasnt in this case, atleast yet) because the money is going into the wrong pockets. You may have more money in your own pocket, but the scenarios in which that translates to increased hiring are very rare.

Business aren’t just going to start hiring because they have more money from less taxes, they start hiring because they have increased demand and need additional employees to meet the demand. I don’t care how much money I have, if I don’t need more employees I’m not going to hire them. Increased demand comes from customers having increased purchasing power and more expendable income. Rich people aren’t the target market for new customers because they already buy what they want/need - it’s a satiated market.
My market is booming. If the corporate tax rate was cut to current US standards I could hire two more people on the spot. The only thing preventing me from hiring more people is the tax rate. I don't have many deductible expenses so the tax rate hits me twice as hard. I could invest to expand and take unnecessary risks but my ambitions are limited in that respect. The current climate of taxes and regulations just doesn't make it very appealing or interesting. Neither is the current nature of our taxes' recipients.

justjess

Superstar
My market is booming. If the corporate tax rate was cut to current US standards I could hire two more people on the spot. The only thing preventing me from hiring more people is the tax rate. I don't have many deductible expenses so the tax rate hits me twice as hard. I could invest to expand and take unnecessary risks but my ambitions are limited in that respect. The current climate of taxes and regulations just doesn't make it very appealing or interesting. Neither is the current nature of our taxes' recipients.
Employee wages and benefits business expenses and as a result, tax deductions. If you need to hire more people the cost of doing so should offset the tax rate. If business was booming so much then you should have the money to hire those people, unless you don’t want to take a hit on an inflated profit margin, or your not hiring them because you don’t want to put the money out until the business is already acquired. Either way that’s not a problem with the taxes and isn’t an indication that those tax cuts are going to trickle down to the average person either. If your business falls into one of those RARE exceptions I noted in my post, great. So be it. That doesn’t negate the overall mechanics I was describing.

I don’t know what industry you are in or your target customer profile but the vast majority of businesses rely to a great extent on the purchasing power of the lower and middle classes. No purchasing power, no customers. They have studied the results of trumps tax cuts, they have not produced the effects that you are “trump-eting “ - it is easier to think the grass is greener elsewhere, especially when you are in a personal position where lower business taxes would help you out. But that doesn’t mean your take is accurate or applicable here.

For all I know the country your living in has completely different demographics and socio-economic realities than the United States. I can’t even begin to analyze what effect that would have on lower corporate taxes there vs here. But we are talking about the United States. It is an error of judgement to make presumptions that your situation is equitably translatable to a business (or businesses generally) in the United States.

As a small business owner in the United States I will say this - I have not hired more people or increased wages as a result of lower taxes on my business. I already pay people well, far above the average in my area. And demand hasn’t increased so I have no need for additional workers at this time. Of all the small business owners I know, NO ONE is hiring or increasing wages as a result of the tax cut.

Edit: and what do you mean “the nature of our taxes recipients”?

@Artful Revealer that's not how it works LOL. When business is truly booming, the higher the tax on profits, the more a business CANNOT afford to REFRAIN from hiring more people.

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar
@Artful Revealer I just re read your post for greater clarity... it appears what you are saying is that you are staffed appropriately for your current client base. You would expand in order to gain more clients if you had more money but since you don’t have money you are satisfied enough with your current situation that expansion is not worth the risk.

What this sounds like to me, is that you want the public to help fund your expansion RISK. You don’t currently have enough demand to justify more employees but you hypothetically COULD if you had the money to gamble on a risky expansion, which would necessitate more staff if successful.

It is not the public’s responsibility to fund business owners expansion dreams and risks through lower taxes. That is an ENTITLED position to take. As a business owner YOU own the risk and responsibility for expansion activities, no one else. There are already so many perks and benefits for business owners, those perks come paired with a responsibility as well and I feel like most business owners (and honestly people in general) want the perks without the responsibility but that isn’t how a fair society functions.

weskrongden

Veteran
I mean tax cuts aren't really driving up wages. Most businesses will just do other things with tax cuts, they're always going to keep wages as low as possible. Have to cut off immigration and tighten up the supply of labor.

justjess

Superstar
I mean tax cuts aren't really driving up wages. Most businesses will just do other things with tax cuts, they're always going to keep wages as low as possible. Have to cut off immigration and tighten up the supply of labor.
Have to put money into the pockets of consumers. Immigration and labor pool matter but not if no one has money to buy stuff anyway.

Thunderian

Superstar
I adore Mollie Hemingway, and this a great article on the how the Democrats screwed this up for themselves.

SquaredCircle

Established
Trump is the 3rd president In US history to be impeached. How do you all feel about this? Be honest. I personally feel like other presidents have done worse and he didn't deserve this. I am not even registered as left / dem.
Trump is not a Washington goon ! He is getting near the plug in the bottom of Washingtons slop sink and that is the reason we have seen these blatant lies and fabricated abuses ! Look at Bush/ Cheney and the war after war in the Middle East and the Halliburton government contracts to rebuild bombed out Kuwait and Iraq ! Cheney was a CEO of Halliburton on or off paper he made millions from war ! Yet Bush and Mr. gun safety Dick never saw scrutiny like Trump ! The reason for this is , because most these Republicans past and present are swamp creatures ! Trump is not perfect , but all these high level civil servants are narcissistic and sociopathic ! Trump is a glory hound and money comes 2nd and that is why he is being raked to bits . The Dems and Republicans hate him , but the Republicans Senators and House Reps will tow the GOP line , because they want to get re-ellected in their conservative caucuses. Trump is great for America and the little guys , but he is bad news to the Washington gangsters who bilk and extort money equally on both sides of the isle ! If Trump gets re- elected and Barr and his team indite and get closer to Hillary and Barrack Jesus Obama there will be more lies and even possible attempts on our President Trumps life ! I wish Trump could have 3 more terms ! Trump is my guy and Im 40% liberal ! When Trump wins again the left will stoop even lower and by the time Trump if lucky enough to get through the swamp in a second term ,the American people will vote a liberal in just to shut the Left & Right Coast progressive’s up ! Im burned out on this crap and I voted and support Trump ! The problem is that there are zero Republicans to oppose Trump that dont have swamp water in their britches ! The Left has become bottom dwelling swamp crustaceans that only surface to poop and scare people with their looks and smell then back under the brackish cover of deceit and filth ! Just as Obi wan was our only hope , so is Trump ! The left is horrendous ! They hide behind children , religion and the marginalised of society all the while being more corrupt , elite and secret racists than those they accuse ! The Democrats are the gas light party period . Moderate’s like myself at first did not like Trump , but seeing how the Obama administration, FBI and the Schiff , Pelosi , Nadlers of their party behave is beyond reproach and has turned me into a Trumper ! Go Trump and Barr !

weskrongden

Veteran
Trump is not a Washington goon ! He is getting near the plug in the bottom of Washingtons slop sink and that is the reason we have seen these blatant lies and fabricated abuses ! Look at Bush/ Cheney and the war after war in the Middle East and the Halliburton government contracts to rebuild bombed out Kuwait and Iraq ! Cheney was a CEO of Halliburton on or off paper he made millions from war ! Yet Bush and Mr. gun safety Dick never saw scrutiny like Trump ! The reason for this is , because most these Republicans past and present are swamp creatures ! Trump is not perfect , but all these high level civil servants are narcissistic and sociopathic ! Trump is a glory hound and money comes 2nd and that is why he is being raked to bits . The Dems and Republicans hate him , but the Republicans Senators and House Reps will tow the GOP line , because they want to get re-ellected in their conservative caucuses. Trump is great for America and the little guys , but he is bad news to the Washington gangsters who bilk and extort money equally on both sides of the isle ! If Trump gets re- elected and Barr and his team indite and get closer to Hillary and Barrack Jesus Obama there will be more lies and even possible attempts on our President Trumps life ! I wish Trump could have 3 more terms ! Trump is my guy and Im 40% liberal ! When Trump wins again the left will stoop even lower and by the time Trump if lucky enough to get through the swamp in a second term ,the American people will vote a liberal in just to shut the Left & Right Coast progressive’s up ! Im burned out on this crap and I voted and support Trump ! The problem is that there are zero Republicans to oppose Trump that dont have swamp water in their britches ! The Left has become bottom dwelling swamp crustaceans that only surface to poop and scare people with their looks and smell then back under the brackish cover of deceit and filth ! Just as Obi wan was our only hope , so is Trump ! The left is horrendous ! They hide behind children , religion and the marginalised of society all the while being more corrupt , elite and secret racists than those they accuse ! The Democrats are the gas light party period . Moderate’s like myself at first did not like Trump , but seeing how the Obama administration, FBI and the Schiff , Pelosi , Nadlers of their party behave is beyond reproach and has turned me into a Trumper ! Go Trump and Barr !
Trump has had more Goldman Sachs executives in his administration than any other President.