Does God Love Unconditionally?

Lisa

Superstar
Does God love everyone? Yes, He shows mercy and kindness to all. In that sense His love is unconditional.
Is that so, though? Yes, He does love everyone, He does show mercy and kindness to all...but to be saved, to be reconciled to God then you have to believe on Jesus, that’s not unconditional. So, can we then say that God’s love is unconditional? You have to be like Abel and have the correct sacrifice. That is conditional. So, then we can say that God still loves those people yet His love is conditional. The people that don’t come to Him will get thrown in the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth, forever and ever...Even the way they are put in there...thrown doesn’t sound like He’s unconditionally loving those people does it?

Lisa

Superstar
What kind of sick thinking is that? Why would you let someone you love burn themselves or drown?
If you love unconditionally you would, but if you don’t you wouldn’t.

justjess

Superstar
If you love unconditionally you would, but if you don’t you wouldn’t.
Unconditional love isn’t some sort of mindless do what thou wilt worship.

The hardest thing - the most loving thing - you can do for someone sometimes is correct them. I want friends and family, not yes man. Yes men don’t love you, they USE you.

Lisa

Superstar
Unconditional love isn’t some sort of mindless do what thou wilt worship.

The hardest thing - the most loving thing - you can do for someone sometimes is correct them. I want friends and family, not yes man. Yes men don’t love you, they USE you.
Ya, so you don’t love unconditionally if you’re correcting them...

DevaWolf

Veteran
That's like saying if a parent loves a child they don't need to stop them from putting there hand on the stove or letting them drown in a pool. The parent stops them from doing harmful things because he loves them. That is why God sent Jesus, to stop us from doing harmful things to ourselves and others.
He could as well just have created us without the ability to make such mistakes and wouldn't have needed to sacrfice the most perfect of creation over it and everyone would have been happy too. I just can't get over that hiatus.

Todd

Star
He could as well just have created us without the ability to make such mistakes and wouldn't have needed to sacrfice the most perfect of creation over it and everyone would have been happy too. I just can't get over that hiatus.
I hear what you are saying, but think about it this way. As parents it is possible for us to create an environment that would totally insulate our children from the world and the all the harm there in. We could effectively put them in bubble so they could never experience physical or emotional pain. Other than financial reasons, why don't we do that? If some parent with the financial means actually did it, what would our reaction to that be?

Put another way, just as heat has no meaning without cold, darkness has no meaning without light, joy has no meaning without sorrow, so to goodness has no meaning without evil. Just maybe God is allowing us to experience the pain and grief of this temporal world so that we would be more likely to enjoy and appreciate the goodness of the ages to come.

Does a child have a right to reject a parent, because they don't understand the parents methods of teaching and discipline? I'm not saying it is wrong to question and want to understand. God is not like a human parent. To someone sincerely inquiring God is not going to say "because I said so". He says ask and you will receive, knock and the door will be answered. He also says in all things get an understanding. So if this issue is keeping you from accepting that God is real and cares about you, seek an understanding from him of why the world is temporarily like it is and not what organized religion says.

ThisGirlWoke

Established
Well considering we still have the chance to repent regardless of what we do, I'd come to the conclusion that yes, God does love us unconditionally. I agree with Eternal Salvation, he loves everyone unconditionally except those who sold out. Actually, I'm not sure if he loves EVERYONE. Yeah, now that I think about it...

I don't think God loves EVERYONE. It's only those who are chosen. Like Eternal Salvation said, those who are born wicked, why would God love them if in the end, they're going to go against God for their entire lives? Some people weren't born to repent. On Judgment Day, God will separate the sheep from the goats.

Read Matthew 25:35-40 he tells the sheep (righteous) what they've done for him, and he tells the unrighteous (goats) what they had NOT done for him. So the goats will be thrown in hell, and the righteous will be with God for eternity.

So in that case, God does NOT love the goats (in other words, the unrighteous) but he loves his sheep (his people that live in righteousness)

Lisa

Superstar
Well considering we still have the chance to repent regardless of what we do, I'd come to the conclusion that yes, God does love us unconditionally. I agree with Eternal Salvation, he loves everyone unconditionally except those who sold out. Actually, I'm not sure if he loves EVERYONE. Yeah, now that I think about it...

I don't think God loves EVERYONE. It's only those who are chosen. Like Eternal Salvation said, those who are born wicked, why would God love them if in the end, they're going to go against God for their entire lives? Some people weren't born to repent. On Judgment Day, God will separate the sheep from the goats.

Read Matthew 25:35-40 he tells the sheep (righteous) what they've done for him, and he tells the unrighteous (goats) what they had NOT done for him. So the goats will be thrown in hell, and the righteous will be with God for eternity.

So in that case, God does NOT love the goats (in other words, the unrighteous) but he loves his sheep (his people that live in righteousness)
Romans‬ ‭5:8‬ ‭
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.​

John‬ ‭3:16‬
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
‭‭
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

I don’t think scripture bears that out, God wants all to be saved and Jesus died for all knowing that some will be saved and some won’t.

I would still call it love rather than unconditional love. Even the Bible doesn’t say that God unconditionally loves us but rather says God loves us.

ThisGirlWoke

Established
Romans‬ ‭5:8‬ ‭​

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.​

John‬ ‭3:16‬​

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
‭‭
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭​

The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

I don’t think scripture bears that out, God wants all to be saved and Jesus died for all knowing that some will be saved and some won’t.

I would still call it love rather than unconditional love. Even the Bible doesn’t say that God unconditionally loves us but rather says God loves us.
Yes, God desires to have a relationship with all of us but honestly, some people are truly born wicked, like those who sold out, they were wicked all along and wanted nothing to do with God. Do you think God still loves those kinds of people? Personally I think not.

DevaWolf

Veteran
Yes, God desires to have a relationship with all of us but honestly, some people are truly born wicked, like those who sold out, they were wicked all along and wanted nothing to do with God. Do you think God still loves those kinds of people? Personally I think not.
Born wicked. Who created them like that then? Shouldn't He love His creation.

Yeah I know I am beating a dead horse, but I have never seen an argument that made me change my mind on this fallacy. It just does not compute with me.

ThisGirlWoke

Established
Born wicked. Who created them like that then? Shouldn't He love His creation.

Yeah I know I am beating a dead horse, but I have never seen an argument that made me change my mind on this fallacy. It just does not compute with me.
Born wicked as in those who are unrighteous and still refuse to repent in their entire lives, they just aren't of God. That's how it is! Not everyone will be saved and on Judgment Day, God separates the sheep from the goats (righteous from unrighteous) the sheep of course inherits the kingdom of God, and the goats inherit hell where the devil will also be for eternity because they rebelled against God and refused to repent. Just like how not everyone is awake to the truth, some also aren't born of God. Actually, God said more people will go to the lake of fire than heaven. "For broad is the way to destruction; many will find it. The small narrow gate leads to salvation; few will find it."

DevaWolf

Veteran
Born wicked as in those who are unrighteous and still refuse to repent in their entire lives, they just aren't of God. That's how it is! Not everyone will be saved and on Judgment Day, God separates the sheep from the goats (righteous from unrighteous) the sheep of course inherits the kingdom of God, and the goats inherit hell where the devil will also be for eternity because they rebelled against God and refused to repent. Just like how not everyone is awake to the truth, some also aren't born of God. Actually, God said more people will go to the lake of fire than heaven. "For broad is the way to destruction; many will find it. The small narrow gate leads to salvation; few will find it."
Sorry, this explains nothing to me. It's just a the same statement as above, but a longer version.

Lisa

Superstar
We are all born wicked...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...

Ezekiel‬ ‭18:32‬
For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies,” declares the Lord GOD. “Therefore, repent and live.​

Ezekiel‬ ‭33:11‬ ‭
Say to them, ‘As I live!’ declares the Lord GOD, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways! Why then will you die, O house of Israel?​
‭‭
‭‭‭

ThisGirlWoke

Established
We are all born wicked...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...

Ezekiel‬ ‭18:32‬​

For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies,” declares the Lord GOD. “Therefore, repent and live.​

Ezekiel‬ ‭33:11‬ ‭​

Say to them, ‘As I live!’ declares the Lord GOD, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways! Why then will you die, O house of Israel?​
‭‭
‭‭‭
Some people stay sinners, while God's people are saints. Remember, he looks through the heart and mind. Therefore, whoever doesn't repent and doesn't care about it, they remain wicked is what I'm trying to explain. I can't sugarcoat this. Not everyone will be saved.