Does God Love Unconditionally?

Lisa

Superstar
I have never thought of Trump as a religious leader. I shuddered when I heard him use the Lords name in vain on one of his rallies. But, if he is a Christian, God will chastise him. Obama was an antichrist....not the Antichrist, but an antichrist nevertheless.. Trump never denies Christ. What I do is what the Spirit says, pray for those in positions of authority that we would lead a peaceful life. I also pray that he would seek the wisdom of the Lord in his decisions. I did that with Obama, but my spirit felt resistance about Obama. But I never put my faith in anyone but Christ. The House and Senate and most of the local government are corrupt. Why pick on one man when the rest are just as bad or worse.
The ‘Christians’ he has around him..advising him..:oops: yikes!!! No discernment at all.

Lisa

Superstar
God loves everyone unconditionally both before and after 'being saved'. What He doesn't love is sin. He punishes and/or corrects sin much as a parent punishes and/or corrects a child while still loving that child.
So, not unconditional love then...

Dalit

Star
The ‘Christians’ he has around him..advising him..:oops: yikes!!! No discernment at all.
It's because they're New Apostolic Reformation and Word of Faith "prophets" aka rich money grabbers. They're not orthodox Christians.

Dalit

Star
He still loves the sinner, but hates the sin. He loves the sinner unconditionally.
Word to the wise, lots of people here have said the same. It's just going to be another round-de-round with her. She doesn't comprehend unconditional love.

DUSTY

Established
Word to the wise, lots of people here have said the same. It's just going to be another round-de-round with her. She doesn't comprehend unconditional love.
Okay thank you. today is my first day and I'll get used to the personalities in time.

Unconditional love is what a good parent has for a child. No matter what the child does, the parent loves him or her. The parent may not love what the child does, but the parent always loves the child and wants what is best for the child, even when the child is self destructive.

Lisa

Superstar
He still loves the sinner, but hates the sin. He loves the sinner unconditionally.
If God loves the sinner unconditionally, then why send Jesus..would we then have a need for a savior if He did?

DUSTY

Established
If God loves the sinner unconditionally, then why send Jesus..would we then have a need for a savior if He did?
Christian belief at it's core - God loves the sinner totally and unconditionally so God sends divine rescue - Jesus. The rescue is because of God's total and unconditional love. If God didn't love us totally and unconditionally, Jesus never would have come. That's the core of Christian belief. And of course people are free to believe it (and be Christian) or disbelieve it (and not be).

Lisa

Superstar
Christian belief at it's core - God loves the sinner totally and unconditionally so God sends divine rescue - Jesus. The rescue is because of God's total and unconditional love. If God didn't love us totally and unconditionally, Jesus never would have come. That's the core of Christian belief. And of course people are free to believe it (and be Christian) or disbelieve it (and not be).
If He loves unconditionally then why do we need divine rescuing? If He loved us totally and unconditionally He would have allowed us to keep on keeping on and not send anyone and not do anything at all. But He does love us and there is a condition even to being saved..one must believe on Jesus. If He loved unconditionally, even there anyone could and would be saved by any way or means..but there isn’t all ways and means..its just the one narrow way. That isn’t unconditional love.

DUSTY

Established
If He loves unconditionally then why do we need divine rescuing? If He loved us totally and unconditionally He would have allowed us to keep on keeping on and not send anyone and not do anything at all. But He does love us and there is a condition even to being saved..one must believe on Jesus. If He loved unconditionally, even there anyone could and would be saved by any way or means..but there isn’t all ways and means..its just the one narrow way. That isn’t unconditional love.
Again ... the teaching is that if He loves us totally and unconditionally He would want us to be the best we can be, and that means being saved. As for the 'condition on being saved' ... that doesn't change God's unconditional and total love, he doesn't suddenly hate those who reject Him. The love is still there - according to Christianity.

The Christian teaching is pretty straight forward. Think about it a while, you may come to understand it. You may or may not agree with it, but you should be able to understand it. It's an easy teaching to follow the thought process on. I'm sure if you think about it you'll figure it out.

Lisa

Superstar
Again ... the teaching is that if He loves us totally and unconditionally He would want us to be the best we can be, and that means being saved. As for the 'condition on being saved' ... that doesn't change God's unconditional and total love, he doesn't suddenly hate those who reject Him. The love is still there - according to Christianity.

The Christian teaching is pretty straight forward. Think about it a while, you may come to understand it. You may or may not agree with it, but you should be able to understand it. It's an easy teaching to follow the thought process on. I'm sure if you think about it you'll figure it out.
I have thought about this...I wrote the op. Maybe think a little more about what I said? What is unconditional love? Its love without conditions right? If He loves without conditions then would there be a punishment for sin or a need for a savior? If He loves without conditions, then why is there a condition, and a pretty big one on salvation. One must believe on Jesus, and that’s a big problem for a lot of people.
One must believe He is God, God’s only begotten Son, He came down from Heaven.
One must believe He was born of a virgin.
One must believe that He was perfect...only then can he fulfill the law.
One must believe in sin and that we are sinners.
One must believe that He is the sacrifice for sin.
One must believe that by believing in Him we are saved.
One must believe there is a punishment to be saved from..the lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.
One must believe that He didn’t stay dead but came alive on the third day.
One must believe that was seen by many.
One must believe that He rose again and is sitting on the right hand of the Father.
That’s a lot of conditions..

DUSTY

Established
I If He loves without conditions, then why is there a condition, and a pretty big one on salvation. One must believe on Jesus,...
Christian belief - God doesn't stop loving people even if they choose not to be saved.

It's pretty straight forward. That's all I can help you out with.
You'll have to ask a bible christian if you want more on it.
(no, I'm not a bible Christian) . /out

Swiftturtle

Established
I feel the same way about Cahn - that’s why I posted up a clip that was a study of Jehu which doesn’t spell out what connections to make about the parallels between the two leaders.
providing even one way proves his unconditional love. God owes us nothing. You’re leveling your question from the point of view that we somehow are owed something from God, so any answer explaining unconditional love and how Jesus is the ultimate proof will continue to ‘not be the real answer, and incomprehensible.’ Stop approaching it with the mind set that you are ‘owed’ anything by God, bc we aren’t. Repeating the same question won’t change the answer. The answer you’ve been repeatedly given is an absolute, if you can’t understand it, then that’s a heart thing you need to work out with God- we can’t do it for you.

Lisa

Superstar
About Cain...
Genesis‬ ‭4:3-7‬ ‭
So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the LORD of the fruit of the ground. Abel, on his part also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions. And the LORD had regard for Abel and for his offering; but for Cain and for his offering He had no regard. So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell. Then the LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.​
‭‭
So, there is a condition on the offering..you won’t do well if you give the wrong offering...there is a condition, that is not unconditional love.

Lisa

Superstar
Christian belief - God doesn't stop loving people even if they choose not to be saved.

It's pretty straight forward. That's all I can help you out with.
You'll have to ask a bible christian if you want more on it.
(no, I'm not a bible Christian) . /out
Sure..He want’s everyone to be saved..but there are conditions to salvation..like there was conditions with Cain.

Genesis‬ ‭4:3-7‬ ‭
So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the LORD of the fruit of the ground. Abel, on his part also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions. And the LORD had regard for Abel and for his offering; but for Cain and for his offering He had no regard. So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell. Then the LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.
I am a Bible Christian..

Lisa

Superstar
providing even one way proves his unconditional love. God owes us nothing. You’re leveling your question from the point of view that we somehow are owed something from God, so any answer explaining unconditional love and how Jesus is the ultimate proof will continue to ‘not be the real answer, and incomprehensible.’ Stop approaching it with the mind set that you are ‘owed’ anything by God, bc we aren’t. Repeating the same question won’t change the answer. The answer you’ve been repeatedly given is an absolute, if you can’t understand it, then that’s a heart thing you need to work out with God- we can’t do it for you.
I never said we were owed anything by God..we aren’t we are saved only by grace through faith and not of ourselves. We don’t deserve the grace.

Do you even consider that you might be in the wrong and not me?

Todd

Star
That's like saying if a parent loves a child they don't need to stop them from putting there hand on the stove or letting them drown in a pool. The parent stops them from doing harmful things because he loves them. That is why God sent Jesus, to stop us from doing harmful things to ourselves and others.

Swiftturtle

Established
About Cain...
Genesis‬ ‭4:3-7‬ ‭​

So it came about in the course of time that Cain brought an offering to the LORD of the fruit of the ground. Abel, on his part also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat portions. And the LORD had regard for Abel and for his offering; but for Cain and for his offering He had no regard. So Cain became very angry and his countenance fell. Then the LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.​
‭‭
So, there is a condition on the offering..you won’t do well if you give the wrong offering...there is a condition, that is not unconditional love.
I never said we were owed anything by God..we aren’t we are saved only by grace through faith and not of ourselves. We don’t deserve the grace.

Do you even consider that you might be in the wrong and not me?
Nope. I’ve felt His love, seen His love, and bc I have faith in Christ as a Christian, I believe his teachings. I don’t understand the drive behind picking and choosing verses that you bend into your personal interpretation in an attempt to ‘prove there actually are conditions to His love.’ It’s such a beautiful gift He’s given us, but you seem determined to try and find a way to convince us of the opposite. That really baffles me, but that’s between you and God. You’ve heard lots of responses from ppl citing why we know God’s Love is unconditional. You can explore those answers and seek God or not. But pulling random Biblical text and claim the interpretation proves your point just makes me sad that you put so much effort into that, while the very same book you’re pulling those verses from is the very same one that has story after story that plainly shows God’s unconditional love for us. My heart believes in His unconditional love, period.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Sometimes nothing quite hits the spot like a bit of copy n’ paste so I unapologetically share this from the “got questions” website:-

Is God's love conditional or unconditional?

Question: "Is God's love conditional or unconditional?"

Answer: God’s love for mankind, as described in the Bible, is clearly unconditional in that His love is expressed toward the objects of His love despite their disposition toward Him. In other words, God loves without placing any conditions on the loved ones; He loves because it is His nature to love (1 John 4:8). That love moves Him toward benevolent action: “He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous” (Matthew 5:45).

The unconditional nature of God’s love is most clearly seen in the gospel. The gospel message is basically a story of divine rescue. As God considered the plight of His rebellious people, He determined to save them from their sin, and this determination was based on His love (Ephesians 1:4–5). Listen to the apostle Paul’s words from his letter to the Romans:

“You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:6–8).

Reading through the book of Romans, we learn that we are alienated from God due to our sin. We are at enmity with God, and His wrath is being revealed against the ungodly for their unrighteousness (Romans 1:18–20). We reject God, and God gives us over to our sin. We also learn that we have all sinned and fallen short of God’s glory (Romans 3:23) and that none of us seek God; none of us do what is right before His eyes (Romans 3:10–18).

Despite the hostility and enmity we have toward God (for which God would be perfectly just to utterly destroy us), God revealed His love toward us in the giving of His Son, Jesus Christ, as the propitiation (the appeasement of God’s righteous wrath) for our sins. God did not wait for us to better ourselves as a condition of atoning for our sin. Rather, God condescended to become a man and live among His people (John 1:14). God experienced our humanity—everything it means to be a human being—and then offered Himself willingly as a substitutionary atonement for our sin.

This divine rescue, based on unconditional love, resulted in a gracious act of self-sacrifice. As Jesus said, “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13). That is precisely what God, in Christ, has done. The unconditional nature of God’s love is made clear in other passages of Scripture:

“But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved” (Ephesians 2:4–5).

"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins" (1 John 4:9–10).

It is important to note that God’s love is a love that initiates; it is never a response. That is precisely what makes it unconditional. If God’s love were conditional, then we would have to do something to earn or merit it. We would have to somehow appease His wrath or cleanse ourselves of sin before God would be able to love us. But that is not the biblical message. The biblical message—the gospel—is that God, motivated by love, moved unconditionally to save His people from their sin.

Also important is the fact that God’s unconditional love does not mean that everyone will be saved (see Matthew 25:46). Nor does it mean that God will never discipline His children. To ignore God’s merciful love, to reject the Savior who bought us (2 Peter 2:1), is to subject ourselves to God’s wrath for eternity (Romans 1:18), not His love. For a child of God to willfully disobey God is to invite the Father’s correction (Hebrews 12:5–11).

Does God love everyone? Yes, He shows mercy and kindness to all. In that sense His love is unconditional. Does God love Christians in a different way than He loves non-Christians? Yes. Because believers have exercised faith in God’s Son, they are saved. The unconditional, merciful love God has for everyone should bring us to faith, receiving with gratefulness the conditional, covenant love He grants those who receive Jesus as their Savior.

Recommended Resources: The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God by D.A. Carson

Lisa

Superstar
That's like saying if a parent loves a child they don't need to stop them from putting there hand on the stove or letting them drown in a pool. The parent stops them from doing harmful things because he loves them. That is why God sent Jesus, to stop us from doing harmful things to ourselves and others.
Sure..but if you unconditionally love someone..love without conditions..wouldn’t you just let them burn themselves or drown? I thought Jesus took the punishment for our sins?