Does college = Success

justjess

Superstar
Do you ever ask yourself why more young people are “going blue”? Like what could possibly be the actual reason rather then blaming colleges which most young people never even attend? Can you handle complicated interrelations?

Lurker

Star
Like what could possibly be the actual reason rather then blaming colleges which most young people never even attend
IDK about that, the colleges around me just keep building more and more-- indicating more students. It starts long before that tho, think Frankfurt School. essentially pre-k to post grad. research John Taylor Gatto.

justjess

Superstar
IDK about that, the colleges around me just keep building more and more-- indicating more students. It starts long before that tho, think Frankfurt School. essentially pre-k to post grad. research John Taylor Gatto.
I’m in the elementary schools all day, everyday during the school year. In all different grades. I have yet to encounter this liberal indoctrination. Not once. College encourages thinking and every professor is different.

Lurker

Star
I’m in the elementary schools all day, everyday during the school year. In all different grades. I have yet to encounter this liberal indoctrination. Not once. College encourages thinking and every professor is different.
I see it very differently.

Lurker

Star
That’s obvious :)
Well, Captain Obvious has to pop up from time to time. :p
I will say I also live squarely in a conservative area so maybe it’s different elsewhere
do tell us what you see. Are genders or other hot button issues discussed...ever?

I will say that UF is a cesspool of intolerant students. By that I mean progressive liberal shit heads.

justjess

Superstar
Well, Captain Obvious has to pop up from time to time. :p

do tell us what you see. Are genders or other hot button issues discussed...ever?

I will say that UF is a cesspool of intolerant students. By that I mean progressive liberal shit heads.
Nope. Not that I’ve encountered at work atleast.

I took a gender studies class in college but I opted too, I didn’t have to. These things weren’t discussed outside of that class and we are talking about twenty years ago so even what was discussed was a lot different then the current trends in those areas.

just because the student base of a university is “progressive liberal shit heads” doesn’t mean the school is indoctrinating them to be so. That age group has ALWAYS tended towards more liberal ideologies, that’s why people always say “you’ll be a conservative when you get older” blah blah. I heard it as a kid, they’re still saying it now. And they said it before me too. Remember the hippies? Who grew up to be stock brokers? There’s nothing new underthe sun.

Maes17

Superstar
Isn’t general studies just a way to make more money off you anyway?
I’d say so. It’s considered a core curriculum to prep you. But all it really is - is high school courses revisted. Once you meet the prerequisites to start taking classes towards your degree. Classes are no longer fun.

I wouldn’t trade my college experience for any, but I think I learned a lot more after college than during

Maes17

Superstar
Nope. Not that I’ve encountered at work atleast.

I took a gender studies class in college but I opted too, I didn’t have to. These things weren’t discussed outside of that class and we are talking about twenty years ago so even what was discussed was a lot different then the current trends in those areas.

just because the student base of a university is “progressive liberal shit heads” doesn’t mean the school is indoctrinating them to be so. That age group has ALWAYS tended towards more liberal ideologies, that’s why people always say “you’ll be a conservative when you get older” blah blah. I heard it as a kid, they’re still saying it now. And they said it before me too. Remember the hippies? Who grew up to be stock brokers? There’s nothing new underthe sun.
This is true. I was a bit liberal in my younger years.

And it tends to be the norm. A lot is because values/priorities change when people have families and careers. Conservatives tend to tug at the heart strings for those.

I wouldn’t say I’m a hardcore conservative. I want a society where justice is served deservingly so, people are free to pursue their choices without criticism etc.

Easier said than done

Simka

Established
Of course, not. Moreover, a lot of people don't even work by profession.

MonBra

Rookie
I think the problem is that some people don't know who they would like to be and what profession to choose. They just enter college because it is time and everyone expects them to do it. And it is great if they make the right choice, get a diploma and a good job after graduation. Some of them realize they don't want to work in their chosen field and have to gain other knowledge and skills.
My husband is a great example. He got a diploma and never worked by profession. But he had to get a second higher education later. The only advantage was that he could join the student tours and enjoy the time. I checked EF Educational Tours reviews and know that a lot of students join this program. There is no surprise, actually, because this is a great opportunity to study and see the world.

Last edited: