Do you prostrate during prayer?

Haich

Superstar
Whenever the weather, we prostrate together. Only in mosques all over the world do you see such unison of worship, every race, colour and creed...all worshipping together

This is actually my local mosque and these pictures are of Friday prayers. You should see Eid and Ramadan, it's absolutely packed and people pray on the streets and in the parks...

400a590a3cf1c1be7ef3c5524c5e0ab84282d1ef.jpgimages.jpegarticle-0-11945BB4000005DC-519_634x873.jpg2677630204.jpg

@Claire Rousseau
We (Muslims) don't lay down. Rather we go down on our knees and place our palms and faces on the ground. (as you see in the pictures posted by @Haich above).

Do you lay prone on the floor of your closet?

Edited for clarification

Last edited:

Haich

Superstar
Don't worry we have an entire section dedicated to women...it's called the Maryam centre

muslim-women-and-children-at-maryam-centre-and-womens-entrance-to-J9MCNF.jpg

Have you prayed in the parks?

Amazing feeling...
this is going back over 10 years ago, we went hiking and camped with sheikh ninowy over the weekend, a huge group. I barely remember it now, it was pretty surreal esp the post-isha Qirats...
def 'otherwordly'
of course we all played cricket too, lots of fun.

sim hae

Established
I've prayed laying face down a few times but it's not a habit, I don't have a default praying position, lol.
I have prayed while walking, while working, while standing, sitting, laying on my side, I think I probably prayed while squatting too (because I squat a lot), etc

Violette

Star
No, I don’t pray in any particular position every time I pray and neither did Jesus. There’s multiple examples of prayers being done while standing,sitting, and kneeling, etc. in the OT and NT but there’s nothing in the Bible that suggests one position is superior to the others. The position of my body has nothing to do with the intentions of my heart.

JoChris

Superstar
No I haven't done that. I have prayed in whatever position I was currently in. I gave up all the ritual genuflection when I left the Catholic church. I don't think I have ever heard any preaching about what physical position a Christian should/ should not pray in.

I can understand a Christian lying face down according to their conscience in private prayer. e.g. deep personal conviction for sin, demonstrating their submission to God etc.
That is actually a great idea if a person feels led to do that. The idea of doing that on an unvacuumed floor is what puts me off it the most personally. (I hate my temperamental vacuum cleaner, it doesn't misbehave for my husband!).

Aero

Superstar
If you're laying down isn't that called Yoga?

Pretty sure it is. And from that perspective laying down does activate certain power centers. I'm talking about Astral Projection. There's nothing demonic about it. You all have probably done it and don't know it.

elsbet

Superstar
Why not? Jesus and all the prophets and righteous people in the Bible did. This Christian website shows 33 verses about prostration: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Prostration
Have you read these verses, and have you read them in context?
I'm asking a bit rhetorically because I had to laugh at the reference to 1 SAMUEL 5:3. :)

Truly.. it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Even for false, fish-gods,* apparently. :p (HEB 10:31)

And the rest of these people, in the linked verses, were awestruck in the presence of Jehovah or Jesus. We know... that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth... that is, it was involuntary -- even if they wanted to do it, anyway. I dont like the ritualistic acts that accompany so many religions, and we are not called to do them.

We are told this, though:
".. when you pray, enter into your inner chamber, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
MATTHEW 6:6

* DAGON .. 3RD PARAGRAPH, DOWN.

This is for all religions.

Do you ever lay face down during prayer or worship?

Why or Why Not?

Thanks.
I do not pray unless you would class meditation as praying, which many do.

Praying is asking for things or giving thanks for things, generally speaking.

That is like asking God to serve us.

Do you think we are to have God serve us or are we here to serve God?

Regards
DL