Do you know how to pump gas?

Lurker

Star
Full story HERE

Excerpts
Tina Good also shared the fear of spewing gas all over when attempting to fill up her car, and having to deal with the smell. She even argued that pumping your own gas should be illegal because many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas.”

“No, it’s a job creator,” she wrote. “There’s so many people out looking for work. This will help. Plus I don’t want to smell like gas when I go to work.”

I never realized that I smelled like gas when I went to work. Why didn't someone tell me? I've been pumping my own gas since I was about 12yo. I've only gotten full serve at two places in my life. One was a small country gas station, the kind of place that only has two pumps. The other was in some rich area between LA and San Diego. They did everything..even vacuumed the car. That was FULL service.

SquaredCircle

Established
Full story HERE

Excerpts
Tina Good also shared the fear of spewing gas all over when attempting to fill up her car, and having to deal with the smell. She even argued that pumping your own gas should be illegal because many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas.”

“No, it’s a job creator,”
she wrote. “There’s so many people out looking for work. This will help. Plus I don’t want to smell like gas when I go to work.”

I never realized that I smelled like gas when I went to work. Why didn't someone tell me? I've been pumping my own gas since I was about 12yo. I've only gotten full serve at two places in my life. One was a small country gas station, the kind of place that only has two pumps. The other was in some rich area between LA and San Diego. They did everything..even vacuumed the car. That was FULL service.
Pour water in the tank then have Jesus turn it into petrol . Lol

justjess

Superstar
It’s illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey. When I first moved to Pennsylvania it was a bit intimidating to be honest. It’s easy, I’ve been doing it now for almost 15 years but my mother still refuses.

I will say it is really nice to have full service gas and not have to get out and freeze

Aero

Superstar
Oh, I can fill up like a pro.

I've never had full service though. That sounds pleasant.

Thunderian

Superstar
When I first moved to Pennsylvania it was a bit intimidating to be honest.
I’ve always been weirded out when filling up in Oregon and someone pumps gas for me. I don’t really know what to do with myself while it’s going on, and it always sounds to me like they’re trying to ram the gas nozzle through the side of the car. It drives me crazy, and I’m glad the law’s changed now and I can pump my own gas like a normal human being.

rainerann

Star
I've actually spilled gas on me when I was on my way to an appointment. Although, there was some malfunction with the pump. It was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly, the handle didn't release when I pulled it out and it just kept spilling gas everywhere. I didn't know what to do so I ended up getting my feet soaked pretty much. I spent the entire day smelling like gas. It was awful.

So I sympathize with not wanting to smell like gas, but never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would read an article where someone advocated for gas station attendants to avoid smelling like gas. I remember full-service pumps, but I never understood why someone would pay a couple of extra cents to have someone put gas in the car when it is literally one of the easiest things to do in this world. I just could never justify paying someone to do something so basic.

I mean am I wrong or is putting gas in the car one of the easiest things there is to do in this world?

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
I believe it is ilegal here in braziland... or at least it's not a common practice since I've never even heard about a self-servisse gás station

justjess

Superstar
I've actually spilled gas on me when I was on my way to an appointment. Although, there was some malfunction with the pump. It was a long time ago, but if I remember correctly, the handle didn't release when I pulled it out and it just kept spilling gas everywhere. I didn't know what to do so I ended up getting my feet soaked pretty much. I spent the entire day smelling like gas. It was awful.

So I sympathize with not wanting to smell like gas, but never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would read an article where someone advocated for gas station attendants to avoid smelling like gas. I remember full-service pumps, but I never understood why someone would pay a couple of extra cents to have someone put gas in the car when it is literally one of the easiest things to do in this world. I just could never justify paying someone to do something so basic.

I mean am I wrong or is putting gas in the car one of the easiest things there is to do in this world?
Gas in NJ is super cheap compared to in Pennsylvania and NY. So I’m not sure that this results in higher prices in states were full service is mandatory.

With that said it is super easy. But gasoline is also highly flammable and a dangerous substance. Idk if that’s part of the rationale. I honestly never understood the rationale I was just happy not to have to freeze my butt off.

Maes17

Superstar
Gas in NJ is super cheap compared to in Pennsylvania and NY. So I’m not sure that this results in higher prices in states were full service is mandatory.

With that said it is super easy. But gasoline is also highly flammable and a dangerous substance. Idk if that’s part of the rationale. I honestly never understood the rationale I was just happy not to have to freeze my butt off.
Especially freezing on the east coast. I’ve been to Pittsburgh a few times. Those cold temps are no joke

Johnny5

Veteran
In TX, I only remember seeing full service as a kid many many years ago. You had the choice though to do it yourself or pay extra for full. There were different pumps marked full or self service. My mom would pay extra for full and it would drive my dad crazy. She didnt want to smell like gas either. I had heard later on about Oregon where is was not allowed to pump your own. It sounded crazy to me. I can understand not wanting to pump my own in certain circumstances like going to an interview or really bad weather. I haven't seen a full service pump in like 20+ years though.

elsbet

Superstar
We pump our own gas. -.-

I would gladly pay extra for Full Service + tip. :)
I think people might be surprised how popular it would be. The best option, of course, would be to provide both.

Sunshine

Established
Let me get this straight: people can't figure out how to put a pump nozzle in the Special Hole and hold the handle down, and stop when it gets to the right number? ROFL!

What's next, paying someone slave wages to cut your meat for you in a restaurant? (That knife is dangerous!) How about a "car butler" to sit in the passenger seat and activate the turn signal and the windshied wipers? Or a bathroom attendant that wipes your azz for you?

The only reason I can think of for this being A Thing is stupidity or laziness. Or both.