Do You Find The "public Education" Is Actually Dumbing Down Society?

Mr. Blah

Veteran
I think this is the process of dumbing down society.
That's because there is no philosophy of life & learning is taught in public education.
The teachers & the students never ask, "What is the true philosophy of learning?", "Why do we learn this matter"?

All things people do in public school are just do this, do that, to get good marks without the action of contemplation about what we learn in school.
Kind of "lip service" but in different form.

Do you agree with me?

Tatilina

Star
Basically it's just to teach you how to take a test and pass the test so the schools can get more money from the feds.
Exactly this! Couldn't of said it better. My Chem teacher would always say, "why do you need to know this? I don't know" or he would say " what's the point of all this? I don't know, who cares?"
He would always say, who cares a lot lol and it was always after the lectures and examples he would give. They don't teach you concepts anymore, they teach you straight out of the book. Most of the teachers attitudes are that they get paid to sit there and it's true. They want all the teachers to use smartboards which really sucks because most of the teachers have a hard time writing on these smartboard pads which results in horrible writing that is difficut to read. I miss the old style of teaching and the days where the teachers wrote on chalkboards. Teachers don't even get up from their seats anymore. The school system is a joke.

rainerann

Star
Yes and no. I went to public schools. I had good teachers. It was beneficial, but there is only so much time for everything and ideally you don't want to offend people, so some books aren't included. My love of reading has broadened my horizons and this has made a difference. A lot of people don't like to read or won't read and this is limiting. Some people will read, but then only read the TV version of books, or books intended to be entertaining. Most people won't read research for recreation and this is a problem in my opinion. This also can't be corrected by public schools. It's not their responsibility.

The other problem is that the carrot keeps moving farther away. What I mean by this can be illustrated by a story in the bible. Jacob worked for his uncle Laban for seven years to marry Rachel. When he worked seven years for Rachel, Laban made an excuse that his second daughter shouldn't get married before the first and gave him Leah instead. Jacob still wanted to marry Rachel so Laban sad he would have to work another seven years for her. So he did, but the point is that the goal kept moving farther out of reach and the terms that were agreed on would change without warning that would keep him from reaching his goal and getting the reward for his labor.

This is what the public school system does that bothers me. The system doesn't want you to succeed. It wants you to keep chasing something elusive but impossible to grasp. This is the problem, but it's not the school system that is limiting a person's education. It is the person's lack of self-discipline that is limiting their education. However, even with self-discipline, the system doesn't want you to succeed. You will learn this bitter truth when self-discipline and lots of effort still leave you hearing that you will have to work another 7 years for what you really want.

mecca

Superstar
School has ruined my life really, it makes me super stressed. I like to think it doesn't matter too much but my mind still gets hella stressed even if I try not to worry.

Tatilina

Star
School has ruined my life really, it makes me super stressed. I like to think it doesn't matter too much but my mind still gets hella stressed even if I try not to worry.
I feel the same way, I still have 12 months for post-secondary and 3 years for my sonography program. I was told by a young woman who just recently finished her course while I went for my thyroid ultrasound, that the course is very overwhelming and heavily condensed. She said that she cried nearly almost every day because there was just so much to know and remember. The starting median salary is $78k.

skycoaster

Rookie
You could say that, since public schools don't teach or hold values that we hold dear, if I remember correctly, they don't teach you important things or even anything that you need to know in life, it was more about socializing and not in a good way, anyway, it does suck that eventually we're going to find out that what they teach us aren't true, but no one say that awaking process is easy.

Aero

Superstar
Well the public school system has been taken over by a bureaucracy, politics, and red tape. And I doubt private schools are really any different, but it all depends on the area the school is in. The problems with schools are just like the problems in other areas of the business sector. Individual career advancements take precedent over everything. Entire companies crumble sometimes because nobody wants to take the blame, and things don't get fixed.

Maybe that's ok for a privately owned company, but for public schools? Yes, lets run our schools like corporations, what could possibly go wrong.

Lurker

Star
Well the public school system has been taken over by a bureaucracy, politics, and red tape. And I doubt private schools are really any different, but it all depends on the area the school is in. The problems with schools are just like the problems in other areas of the business sector. Individual career advancements take precedent over everything. Entire companies crumble sometimes because nobody wants to take the blame, and things don't get fixed.

Maybe that's ok for a privately owned company, but for public schools? Yes, lets run our schools like corporations, what could possibly go wrong.
In part, you're right. They want to centralize all schools. That's the problem, not career advancement. IMO

Aero

Superstar
In part, you're right. They want to centralize all schools. That's the problem, not career advancement. IMO
That's probably fair to say. I seem to read stories all the time about teachers upset with the system. And the problems are glaring laser beams, but yet nothing really changes. Add in the fact that Education is the last thing people want to fund, and I'm afraid we are screwed. As the funding drops, it wont be the administrators who suffer. It will be the teachers, kids, and the infrastructure.

It's all happening now too. It's crazy when I think about all the young kids getting thrown out into the world. A world that hasn't gotten easier for adults. And we aren't teaching them the right things.

Lurker

Star
That's probably fair to say. I seem to read stories all the time about teachers upset with the system. And the problems are glaring laser beams, but yet nothing really changes. Add in the fact that Education is the last thing people want to fund, and I'm afraid we are screwed. As the funding drops, it wont be the administrators who suffer. It will be the teachers, kids, and the infrastructure.

It's all happening now too. It's crazy when I think about all the young kids getting thrown out into the world. A world that hasn't gotten easier for adults. And we aren't teaching them the right things.
Our thoughts probably aren't too far off. Soon I'll have a new computer and can give more detailed responses. Until then, I'll cuss this phone.

skycoaster

Rookie

That's true, I do find it interesting that education would be the last thing people want to fund, however screwed up the system is.