Do we have to pay tithes and offerings?

phipps

Star
Thought Questions

If I don’t like the way my church is using my tithe, should I stop tithing?

Tithing is a command of God. Tithe is holy money that belongs to the Lord (Leviticus 27:30). When you tithe, you tithe to Him. God is big enough to take care of the money you give for His church. Your responsibility is to tithe. Leave it to God to deal with those who misuse His funds.

I am frustrated because financial difficulties have made it impossible for me to give more than a very small amount beyond my tithe. What can I do?

The size of your gift is not important if you are doing the best you can. Jesus said that the poor widow of Mark 12:41–44, who gave only a pittance (two mites), gave more “than all those who have given to the treasury” because the others gave “of their abundance, but she ... put in all that she had.” The Lord measures our gifts by the amount of sacrifice we make and by the attitude with which we give. Jesus counts your gift very big. Give it with joy and know that Jesus is pleased. Read 2 Corinthians 8:12 for encouragement.

Doesn’t stewardship involve more than the proper handling of my money?

Yes. Stewardship involves the proper handling of every talent and blessing that we receive from God, who gives us everything (Acts 17:24, 25). It involves our very lives! Faithful stewardship of God’s gifts to us also includes our time spent:

A. Doing the work that God has assigned us (Mark 13:34).

B. Actively witnessing for Christ (Acts 1:8).

C. Studying the Scriptures (2 Timothy 2:15).

D. Praying (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

E. Helping those in need (Matthew 25:31–46).

F. Daily surrendering our lives anew to Jesus (Romans 12:1, 2; 1 Corinthians 15:31).

Aren’t some preachers being paid too much money?

Yes. The flaunting of riches by some clergymen today is reducing the influence of all ministers. It brings reproach upon the name of Jesus. It causes thousands to turn away in disgust from the church and its ministry. Such leaders will face an awful day of reckoning in the judgment.

What if I cannot afford to pay tithe?

God says if we put Him first, He will see to it that our needs are all met (Matthew 6:33). His mathematics often work just opposite to human thinking. Under His plan, what we have left after tithing will go further than all of it would without His blessing!

https://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/study-guide/e/5002/t/in-god-we-trust-