Do we have to pay tithes and offerings?

TokiEl

Superstar
Collect is important in churches so pastors can buy big mansions and private jets.

This is not tithing but fleecing the flock. And the flock is fine with being fleeced.

After all it's springtime every sunday in church.

phipps

Star
If you think you can lose your salvation, then you believe in a works based salvation.
That's where you're wrong and and its not biblical either. As long as we have free will we can always choose to walk away just as king Saul, Balaam and Judas did. So not based on works still is it? In fact we can learn through the examples of Saul, Balaam and Judas about how their works proved they were no longer saved. They chose Satan and grieved away the Holy spirit and their works sadly prove it.
God had finally given into their choices and withdrew from them. God never wants to separate from us but He can't force us to do something we don't want to do. Works are always a consequence of the choices we've made willingly whether we've submitted to God or Satan.

And please don't tell me what I believe in, I know what I believe more than you do. Thank you.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
What does the Bible say about Christian tithing?

Question: "What does the Bible say about Christian tithing? Should a Christian tithe?"

Answer: Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches giving is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.​

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.​

After the death of Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law, the New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says gifts should be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving.​

The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the body of Christ. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).​

Not biblical as I told you before since God made it clear we rob Him if we don't return tithe.

Its never been an Old Testament concept at all since it continued when Jesus was on earth and He never said anything against it when He rebuked the the Jews for omitting the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy, faith—even though they were meticulous tithers. He said in Matthew 23:23, “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone." Jesus confirmed that the tithe should be returned.

After Jesus returned to heaven Christians continued to return tithes. In fact Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 9:13-14, “Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.” Did you see the words " the Lord has commanded"? God has commanded that the ministers be paid in the same way as those who ministered in the temple—the system of tithing. The tithe is to be used to support those who work solely in gospel ministry. Again Paul wrote in Hebrews 7:8, "Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he [Jesus] receives them.” Whoever we give our tithes to in Church, the one who really receives it is Jesus.

In no way does the New Testament abolish the system. Rather, it elevates tithing. So I'll stick with the clear Word of God. Hopefully you and others who read this will too.

You do realise I Corinthians 16:2 is about offerings which God asked us to give too? “Bring an offering, and come into His courts” (Psalm 96:8). Unlike the tithes which is a tenth of everything we earn, we are told about the offerings, "Let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7). The Bible does not specify a set amount for offerings. Each person decides, as God impresses, how much to give and then gives it cheerfully. I posted all this in my op.

We should not pay tithe out of a forced feeling of duty. It should come from the heart, "for God loveth a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Can't Afford It?
There are many who would like to tithe, but when they look at their financial situation they say, "I can't afford it." It may look that way on paper, but the Lord assures us that we can't afford not to tithe! We can't afford the curse. "Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation" (Malachi 3:9).

And we can't afford to miss the promised blessing. "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts" (Malachi 3:10- 11). God always makes the blessed nine-tenths go much further than the cursed ten-tenths.

Those who think they need the Lord's money to survive and thrive should remember the Bible's rich promises. "I have not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread" (Psalms 37:25). "Your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better then they?" (Matthew 6:26). We can obey God and trust Him to meet every need.

When God calls us to follow Him, the issue is not that He needs what is in our hand. Rather it is that He wants to give us what is in His hand. What does He have in store to give us when we obey and follow Him? Andy Stanley, son of renowned Charles Stanley, tells of speaking to a group of teens at camp one year. He wanted to impress them with the wisdom in obeying and following God. He put $325 into his pocket before his sermon that night. He talked about trusting God. Then he asked if there was anyone in the audience who had all their money with them that night. One young man did.

He invited the teen to the front. But before he continued, he wanted to make two things clear. One, did the young man trust Andy? "Yes," the fellow said he did. And two, Andy assured him that he would leave the stage better off than when he came. The young man held $226 in his hand. Andy asked him to give him all his money in return for what was in his pockets. Ultimately the boy refused the deal.

Like Andy, God has many good things to give us, but first He wants us to trust Him and hand over the things we're putting before Him. God loves us and wants the best for us. That is why He teaches us truth. Every truth He brings our way is for our good. He knows that a time of economic chaos and trouble is coming, so He asks us to follow Him. If we want to survive the coming economic abyss, then we must make God number one in our lives and recognize His ownership of everything by returning a faithful tithe and offerings.

TokiEl

Superstar
Andy Stanley, son of renowned Charles Stanley, tells of speaking to a group of teens at camp one year. He wanted to impress them with the wisdom in obeying and following God. He put $325 into his pocket before his sermon that night. He talked about trusting God. Then he asked if there was anyone in the audience who had all their money with them that night. One young man did.

He invited the teen to the front. But before he continued, he wanted to make two things clear. One, did the young man trust Andy? "Yes," the fellow said he did. And two, Andy assured him that he would leave the stage better off than when he came. The young man held $226 in his hand. Andy asked him to give him all his money in return for what was in his pockets. Ultimately the boy refused the deal.

Like Andy, God has many good things to give us, but first He wants us to trust Him and hand over the things we're putting before Him. God loves us and wants the best for us. That is why He teaches us truth. Every truth He brings our way is for our good. He knows that a time of economic chaos and trouble is coming, so He asks us to follow Him. If we want to survive the coming economic abyss, then we must make God number one in our lives and recognize His ownership of everything by returning a faithful tithe and offerings.
Good boy not trusting that man andy.

phipps

Star
Collect is important in churches so pastors can buy big mansions and private jets.

This is not tithing but fleecing the flock. And the flock is fine with being fleeced.

After all it's springtime every sunday in church.
Many Christians do not pay tithes because many pastors become very rich from the gospel and seemingly ask for more and more money from Church members every opportunity they get. In my country of origin in Africa, its seen as a business for many "pastors". Its big business.

No pastor is supposed to be so rich when people give a tenth of their earnings unless they have so many millionaires and billionaires in their Churches. If that is what is happening in their Church, they are in the wrong Church.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Andy is that preacher in your post above who tried to trick money from a teen.L0L
Lol I thought you meant something else. You missed the point completely. The intention was not to trick money from the teen, he just used the analogy to make a point. He would have returned the teen's money if the teen had trusted and given it to him.

The point is we have to trust God first and do what He asks us to do and then we'll see the blessings. Its not easy to pay a tenth of everything we earn especially when we are not earning a lot. But by God's grace we can if we submit to His will.

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
Lol I thought you meant something else. You missed the point completely. The intention was not to trick money from the teen, he just used the analogy to make a point. He would have returned the teen's money if the teen had trusted and given it to him.
That's what he made you think... but if he had gotten the money from the teen he would have a good excuse waiting why the teen could not get the money back.L0L

phipps

Star
There is no monetary tithe anywhere in scripture....period..

There is no scriptural basis for its invention...
Tithe is a tenth of everything we earn. In Bible times maybe most people didn't earn money, they would give crops and other things. Maybe before some sold their crops they gave a tenth of the harvest. Now people earn money mostly and so its a tenth of that they should return to God.

There is evidence of money given as offerings in the Bible which we are asked to give too as we see fit. 2 Corinthians 9:6-7.

"Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans. So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.”" Mark 12:41-44. This story is written of in the Gospel of Luke in Chapter 21:1-4. If some gave money as offerings that means they probably gave money as tithes as well.

Its no invention as I've proven through scripture and if we don't pay tithe we are robbing God. Its quite clear actually.

And in the New Testament the tithe is spoken of and it was something they clearly continued in the early Christian Church and should be continued till Jesus returns.

Paul wrote, “Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel” (1 Corinthians 9:13-14).

Paul wrote again, “Here mortal men receive tithes, but there He [Jesus] receives them” (Hebrews 7:8). Jesus is the one the really receives our tithes. So you're not speaking according to the Bible are you?

Last edited:

phipps

Star
10 Bible Verses about Money and Finances

Could God actually be concerned with our wallets and bank accounts? Do our personal finances matter to Him? Well, it might surprise you to know that the New King James Version of the Bible mentions “money” 133 times and “riches” 90 times, and the Scriptures address multiple aspects of this subject to give us some critical perspective. Consider the guidelines in the following passages …

1. No one can serve two masters.

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money” (Matthew 6:24 NIV). Jesus’ words were straightforward when He set the record straight about where our priority should be and which Master we should serve.

2. Beware of the love of money.

“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows” (1 Timothy 6:10). We’ve all heard this verse or a misquote of it! Did you catch the word “love” in this passage? It’s not money that leads to evil, but the love of it. Allowing greed to get a foothold can easily cause a person’s downfall.

3. Stay away from 'Dirty Money'.

“Wealth gained by dishonesty will be diminished, but he who gathers by labor will increase” (Proverbs 13:11). God wants us to earn our money through hard work and honesty. Gain by any other methods will eventually add up to a loss.

4. Don't rush to be rich.

“Do not overwork to be rich; because of your own understanding, cease!” (Proverbs 23:4). It’s important to keep in mind that money isn’t everything. Becoming a workaholic can cost a person their family, their health, and even their soul.

5. Honesty is the best policy.

“Better is the poor who walks in his integrity than one perverse in his ways, though he be rich” (Proverbs 28:6). In God’s eyes, living an upright life is vastly more important than becoming successful in worldly terms.

6. Don't be a miser.

“Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you” (Luke 6:38). Jesus taught that generosity regarding time, possessions, money—whatever God has blessed us with—is an essential part of the Christian life and is always rewarded.

7. Be a faithful tither.

“ ‘Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,’ says the LORD of hosts, ‘If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it’ ” (Malachi 3:10). The Bible teaches that ten percent of our income belongs to God. He promises abundant blessings to those who faithfully return this tithe.

8. Help Others.

“But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?” (1 John 3:17). God, who gives us the ability to get wealth, expects us to use it in responsible ways—including helping those in need.

9. Be Humble.

“Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy” (1 Timothy 6:17). With wealth comes temptations to arrogance and overconfidence, but money has a way of disappearing unexpectedly. Our faith should be placed in God alone.

10. Remember that you can't buy heaven.

“Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death” (Proverbs 11:4). Money won’t be of any use to anyone when they stand before the Judge of the universe. Our priorities and our hearts should be anchored on godly things and focused on living upright lives.

God really does care how we get and spend our money, and He observes our attitude toward wealth. But the state of our finances is ultimately temporary. True and lasting riches are found only in a close, trusting relationship with the God who loves you and wants you to inherit His kingdom. (See Matthew 25:34.)

https://www.amazingfacts.org/news-and-features/news/item/id/20962/t/10-bible-verses-about-money-and-finances

Renegade

Veteran
Tithe is a tenth of everything we earn. In Bible times maybe most people didn't earn money, they would give crops and other things. Maybe before some sold their crops they gave a tenth of the harvest. Now people earn money mostly and so its a tenth of that they should return to God.

There is evidence of money given as offerings in the Bible which we are asked to give too as we see fit. 2 Corinthians 9:6-7.

"Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans. So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.”" Mark 12:41-44. This story is written of in the Gospel of Luke in Chapter 21:1-4. If some gave money as offerings that means they probably gave money as tithes as well.

Its no invention as I've proven through scripture and if we don't pay tithe we are robbing God. Its quite clear actually.

And in the New Testament the tithe is spoken of and it was something they clearly continued in the early Christian Church and should be continued till Jesus returns.

Paul wrote, “Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel” (1 Corinthians 9:13-14).

Paul wrote again, “Here mortal men receive tithes, but there He [Jesus] receives them” (Hebrews 7:8). Jesus is the one the really receives our tithes. So you're not speaking according to the Bible are you?
This is tithing...

Deut.14:27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. 28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shall lay it up within thy gates: 29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat, and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Tithes were handed to Levites every 3 years.. The Levites gave a tithe of the tithes to the temple...
The temple recieved no tithes directly.. It was financed by temple tax..

Num.18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the Lord, even a TENTH part of the tithe. 28 Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the Lord of all your tithes which ye receive of the children of Israel, and ye shall give thereof the Lord's heave offering unto Aaron the priest.

The tithes were eaten by the tithers on the yearly journey to Jerusalem..

Deut.14:23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which He shall choose to place His name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

If it was too far to carry the tithes they were to be sold..

Deut.14:24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set His name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee; 25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose: 26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household.

The money was used for a family celebration on Gods orders...

Where does your false doctrine sit with these commands of scripture...

Here is how Jesus said to give..

Mat 6.3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth.

phipps

Star
This is tithing...

Deut.14:27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. 28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shall lay it up within thy gates: 29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat, and be satisfied; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Tithes were handed to Levites every 3 years.. The Levites gave a tithe of the tithes to the temple...
The temple recieved no tithes directly.. It was financed by temple tax..

Num.18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the Lord, even a TENTH part of the tithe. 28 Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the Lord of all your tithes which ye receive of the children of Israel, and ye shall give thereof the Lord's heave offering unto Aaron the priest.

The tithes were eaten by the tithers on the yearly journey to Jerusalem..

Deut.14:23 And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which He shall choose to place His name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always.

If it was too far to carry the tithes they were to be sold..

Deut.14:24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the Lord thy God shall choose to set His name there, when the Lord thy God hath blessed thee; 25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the Lord thy God shall choose: 26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household.

The money was used for a family celebration on Gods orders...

Where does your false doctrine sit with these commands of scripture...

Here is how Jesus said to give..

Mat 6.3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth.
It doesn't matter when the Levites got their tithes, the point is God's people gave 10% of their income as tithes. There was a system of how the tithes were handled and shared but the Israelites gave 10% and we are admonished to continue doing the same in the New Testament.

Did God change His plan for tithe usage in New Testament days?
“Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel”
(1 Corinthians 9:13-14).
NO! He continued it, and today His plan is for the tithe to be used to support those who work solely in gospel ministry. If everyone tithed and the tithe were used strictly for the support of gospel workers, there would be more than enough money to reach the entire world very quickly with God’s end-time gospel message.

But didn’t Jesus abolish the plan of tithing?
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone”
(Matthew 23:23).
No. On the contrary, Jesus endorsed it. He was rebuking the Jews for omitting the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy, faith—even though they were meticulous tithers. He then plainly told them they should continue tithing but should also be just and merciful and faithful.

“Here mortal men receive tithes, but there He [Jesus] receives them” (Hebrews 7:8).

The Bible tells us to give cheerfully and always share what God has blessed us with and Matthew 6:3 is one of the scriptures that tells us how to do it. We are not to show off about it because giving is between us and God. Just as He is the one who receives our tithes really.

So I will continue giving tithe as I don't want to rob God as the book of Malachi tells us and I want to receive all those blessings God promises if we return tithes and offerings.

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 3:8-12.

Please show me specific scripture where returning tithes was abolished. If you can't, I'm afraid you are still not speaking according to the Word of God. This issue is about faith and obedience even when we have our last penny like the poor widow in Mark 12:41-44.

Last edited:

Renegade

Veteran
When the israelites rejected Gods rule for an earthly king...

1Sam.8:15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers and to his servants. 17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.

King Saul is the origin of your 10% of everything you have(or get)

1Sam.8:18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the Lord will not hear you in that day.

Second, tithe your increase. "Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year" (Deuteronomy 14:22). Most people choose to tithe before taxes because God comes before the government. If you are in business for yourself, subtract your business expenses and then pay tithe
It is notable how the modern tithe teachers expect the ordinary working man to fork over 10% of his every paycheck before his bills or his taxes are paid. While on the other hand, if there is some rich man in the church that owns a large and flourishing business, that rich man is allowed to pretend that a large portion of his total income is not subject to the same law. Let me point out to you how ridiculous is this distinction: The business owner puts his company truck in the company name, and makes his payments with a company check. He has his gasoline credit cards in the company name, and pays those bills with a company check. So also with his insurance. After all these major operational expenses are paid for, he then pays himself whatever he will in a payroll check made out to himself. He is only expected to pay tithes on that check.
The ordinary working man who must have a car to drive to work has all these same expenses to meet, but he is expected to pay tithes on his total income BEFORE he pays for his car, his gas, and his insurance!
The lie of tithing

Does this sound like a just God...

phipps

Star
When the israelites rejected Gods rule for an earthly king...

1Sam.8:15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers and to his servants. 17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.

1Sam.8:18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the Lord will not hear you in that day.

It is notable how the modern tithe teachers expect the ordinary working man to fork over 10% of his every paycheck before his bills or his taxes are paid. While on the other hand, if there is some rich man in the church that owns a large and flourishing business, that rich man is allowed to pretend that a large portion of his total income is not subject to the same law. Let me point out to you how ridiculous is this distinction: The business owner puts his company truck in the company name, and makes his payments with a company check. He has his gasoline credit cards in the company name, and pays those bills with a company check. So also with his insurance. After all these major operational expenses are paid for, he then pays himself whatever he will in a payroll check made out to himself. He is only expected to pay tithes on that check.
The ordinary working man who must have a car to drive to work has all these same expenses to meet, but he is expected to pay tithes on his total income BEFORE he pays for his car, his gas, and his insurance!
The lie of tithing

You obviously did not read my Op and are not aware that Abraham and Jacob paid tithe. Saul lived long after Abraham and Jacob. I'll re-post the part about it.

Some have thought that tithing was part of Moses’ system of rites and ceremonies that ended at the cross. Is this true?
“And he [Abram] gave him a tithe of all”
(Genesis 14:20). And in Genesis 28:22, Jacob said, “Of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.”
These passages reveal that both Abraham and Jacob, who lived long before Moses’ day, tithed their income. We can therefore conclude that God’s plan of tithing is not limited to Moses’ law and applies to all people of all times.

The tithe is meant for God's ministers and missionaries who work full time in God's service just like the Levites as we are told in both the Old and New Testaments.

“All the tithe of the land … is the Lord’s” (Leviticus 27:30).

“I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance” (Numbers 18:21).

“Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel”
(1 Corinthians 9:13-14).

The lie of tithing
Its not the modern teachers that expect everyone (its everyone not just the ordinary working man) to pay tithe, its God and I've shown you scripture after scripture especially Hebrews 7:8 which tells us God is the one that receives the tithes. The preachers are only teaching what God asked. God will know who truly gives faithfully and who doesn't. Don't concern yourself with what people are giving or not giving to God. As long as they know that they are supposed to pay tithe, its between them and God.

The Bible is clear that we have to pay tithe and if we don't we are robbing God. God should come first in everything we do and that is not easy for all of us. I know I struggle with it. It is about faith, trust and obedience in God. It is something we have to pray and study about. The whole Bible is about putting God first don't you know that? Stories of faithful men and women in the Bible are of people that put God first. Abraham was willing to kill his son because God asked him to. God asks us to trust Him to that extent. When we trust God to that level we will be blessed and eventually be saved and have eternal life. He promised us that and He never lies.

We can only do it through Jesus. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13.

Yes, it sounds exactly like a just God. This is the level of committent we have to have with God. That is why the path that leads to heaven is a hard, long and narrow road.

"Then one said to Him, “Lord, are there few who are saved?”And He said to them, “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able." Luke 13:23-24.

We should always remember God's sacrifice for us all. He gave everything on the cross for us.

You haven't shown me any scripture that says paying tithe was abolished especially from the New Testament. In fact the New Testament confirms that we should pay tithe.

Last edited:

Susu.mochi

Established
Theres a youtube she discusses this she has a couple videos on tithing. Here youtube channel is called motivatingu2win. She has some really good videos on topic in the Bible etc. You guys should check her out if y'all want.

Renegade

Veteran
Abraham paid tithe once in his life...

Jacob made a vow..

Israelites under law once every 3 years, the rest they ate themselves

Pharisees..
The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself: God, I thank Thee that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican: 12 I fast twice in the week, I GIVE TITHES OF ALL THAT I POSSESS.

Jewish rabbis do not collect tithes, they are not levites, there is no temple, they are not authorized under torah..

"Thankfully, Jewish theologians know better than their Christian counterparts. They are well aware that only Levites have the right to receive tithe of the people. After all, the Jewish leaders have the Old Testament as their Scripture and that’s what it commands. And since there is no Temple in existence (and consequently no ordained Levites or Priests serving in a Temple), then a major factor in fulfilling the laws of tithing does not exist in our modern world."
http://www.askelm.com/tithing/thi003.htm

phipps

Star

Jacob made a vow..

Pharisees..
The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself: God, I thank Thee that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican: 12 I fast twice in the week, I GIVE TITHES OF ALL THAT I POSSESS.

Jewish rabbis do not collect tithes, they are not levites, there is no temple, they are not authorized under torah..

"Thankfully, Jewish theologians know better than their Christian counterparts. They are well aware that only Levites have the right to receive tithe of the people. After all, the Jewish leaders have the Old Testament as their Scripture and that’s what it commands. And since there is no Temple in existence (and consequently no ordained Levites or Priests serving in a Temple), then a major factor in fulfilling the laws of tithing does not exist in our modern world."
http://www.askelm.com/tithing/thi003.htm

Jacob made a vow..
You're wrong. Jacob made a vow to pay God a tenth of everything He earns for life. Genesis 28:22, “Of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.” Everything we all earn is given to us by God anyway.

Just because the Bible mentions something once doesn't mean it was done once.

You really are fighting the tithe aren't you? Those days are not nowadays? Nowadays people's income is different to those days. We are to give 10% of what we earn.

Pharisees..
You're reaching here and have entirely missed the point that Jesus was making from the parable of the Pharisee and tax collector. Lets remind ourselves of the story first.

"Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." Luke 18:9-14.

I've underlined the part where Jesus explains what we should take from this story. The Pharisee was not wrong to fast twice in the week and to give tithes of all that he possessed, his sin was that of not being humble. He thought he was better than the tax collector and praised himself for being better than him. The Pharisee did not think he needed any help from God. He didn’t seem to recognise that he had any problems or faults. He listed his virtues to God to boast. Jesus said “Unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:20. This ties in with what I posted in my op about Jesus never abolishing tithes.

But didn’t Jesus abolish the plan of tithing?
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone”
(Matthew 23:23).
No. On the contrary, Jesus endorsed it. He was rebuking the Jews for omitting the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy, faith—even though they were meticulous tithers. He then plainly told them they should continue tithing but should also be just and merciful and faithful.

Jesus rebuked the Pharisees and Scribes for being sanctimonious and hypocritical. They were more concerned with external religion that can be seen by men. Jesus said, “Take heed that ye do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward of your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.” (Matthew 6:1-3).

The Jews do many things wrong. They deny and have denied for thousands of years that Jesus Christ is Messiah and God and have even banned parts of the Old Testament that clearly show that Jesus is the Messiah and God. They are no longer God's people as Jesus told them in Matthew 21:33-43, Matthew 23:37-39.

We should not pay attention to what the Jews do because as Paul put it, Christians are “the Israel of God” and “the circumcision.” The Jewish religion is stunted and has never grown since they stopped being a chosen nation. They have to come to Christ individually like we the Gentiles have to.

Why do you keep changing subjects and not responding to the things we discussed before? You also don't answer my questions. Its pointless continuing this discussion.

Last edited: